Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on August 09, 2021, 07:33:26 AM
Very interesting, thanks Jeffrey !
Quite Brucknerian really André - you might like it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 10, 2021, 04:59:14 PM
NP:

Kodály
Variations on a Hungarian folk song, "The Peacock"
BSO
Leinsdorf

WOW...!!!! The more I listen to this work, the more I'm blown away about it. The Dorati performance on Hungaroton I listened to earlier was great and this Leinsdorf performance turns it into a showpiece, which is a completely valid view of the work. It does contain many phenomenal musical passages that are colorful and just kind of bloom from all of the sections of the orchestra. I think both approaches work well and I'm now anxious to hear others in my collection.

arpeggio

Cipriani Potter (1792-1871):

What I find interesting about many of these obscure 18th and 19th century composers is that their symphonies rarely appeal to me but I find their concerti to be fascinating.  I really liked the Introduzioni e Rondo for Piano & Orchestra.

Symphonic Addict

Recently it's been these works thus far:

J. S. Bach: Toccata and Fugue, BWV 540, for organ in F major

Exquisite, rigurous, melodic, uplifting, glorious counterpoint. What a complete joy meant listening to this astounding piece.

Lili Boulanger: Psaume 129, for chorus and orchestra

The more I listen to this piece, the more I consider Boulanger's talent for writing eloquent, tension-laden, imposing and deep choral works a thing of a genius. There is a sort of poetic transcendence over the notes I find quite compelling and epic in a kind of way.

Corentin Boissier: Glamour Concerto, for piano and orchestra (from a recent Toccata release)

A young French composer who didn't feel scared by the idea about writing an utterly unhinbitedly opulent, epic, deliberately colourful and passionate piano concerto in the 21st century. Its title might sound a bit trivial for some, but this work does have personality, lyricism, depth enough, melodies, lush and full-blooded pathos. For listeners who are fond of unabashed Romanticism, it's a must listen.

He also has a channel on YouTube where he uploads videos of unsung and, most of the cases, unfairly neglected composers' music. I've discovered a good bunch of worthy pieces there. I think my tastes overlap with his very good.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 15, 2021, 02:46:58 PMLili Boulanger: Psaume 129, for chorus and orchestra

The more I listen to this piece, the more I consider Boulanger's talent for writing eloquent, tense-laden, imposing and deep choral works a thing of a genius. There is a sort of poetic transcendence over the notes I find quite compelling and epic in a kind of way.

Boulanger represents, for me, a fascinating crossroad between Fauré and Debussy. She's almost like the link between these composers. If I could prevent only one composer's death, it would be her's. We don't know what she would've sounded like at the height of powers, but going by what she composed before her passing, it would've been glorious.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2021, 07:39:07 PM
Boulanger represents, for me, a fascinating crossroad between Fauré and Debussy. She's almost like the link between these composers. If I could prevent only one composer's death, it would be her's. We don't know what she would've sounded like at the height of powers, but going by what she composed before her passing, it would've been glorious.

I couldn't disagree with you, John. I really regret her premature death.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 15, 2021, 08:51:18 PM
I couldn't disagree with you, John. I really regret her premature death.

Yes, indeed. I find her Pie Jesu to be incredibly poignant and touching, especially the performance conducted by her well-known sister:

https://www.youtube.com/v/sKR-eywonBk

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2021, 07:39:07 PM

+1 for everything you write.  I suspect she would have been one of the major French 20th century composers.  My absolute wish performance of anything that has yet to appear on CD is;

the sound is murky, the soprano often awful, the orchestral playing barely adequate but goodness Markevitch has the passionate measure of the main work and in the tenor Andre Mallabrera has the perfect lyric french voice.  The Chandos recording of Faust et Helene was such a disappointment with tenor Bonaventure Bottone comically (head-scratchingly) mis-cast.  In fact no-one comes close to Mallabrera who was a sadly under-recorded artist

André

Indeed, Mallabrera 'makes' the recording of Adolphe Adam's Si j'étais roi. A strong yet sweet and sappy voice.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 15, 2021, 11:31:35 PM
+1 for everything you write.  I suspect she would have been one of the major French 20th century composers.  My absolute wish performance of anything that has yet to appear on CD is;

the sound is murky, the soprano often awful, the orchestral playing barely adequate but goodness Markevitch has the passionate measure of the main work and in the tenor Andre Mallabrera has the perfect lyric french voice.  The Chandos recording of Faust et Helene was such a disappointment with tenor Bonaventure Bottone comically (head-scratchingly) mis-cast.  In fact no-one comes close to Mallabrera who was a sadly unrecorded artist

Yeah, I think she would've gone on to do some incredible things.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2021, 09:42:11 PM
Yes, indeed. I find her Pie Jesu to be incredibly poignant and touching, especially the performance conducted by her well-known sister:

https://www.youtube.com/v/sKR-eywonBk

I don't remember having heard this precious work before. What heartfelt piece and performance. Thanks for sharing it!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 16, 2021, 10:03:42 AM
I don't remember having heard this precious work before. What heartfelt piece and performance. Thanks for sharing it!

8)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you for the posts, gents. I will check recordings of her works.  :)

Mirror Image

I have to say I'm blown away by Gubaidulina's Fachwerk for bayan, percussion and string orchestra. What a piece! It takes you on a music journey unlike anything I've quite heard before. The last three-four minutes or so is especially thrilling. I have been ambivalent about Gubaidulina's work for quite some time, but I think I've finally found my access point. As a result, I ended up buying some more recordings of her music.

https://www.youtube.com/v/BzA-yCxAf08

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 18, 2021, 05:06:49 PM
I have to say I'm blown away by Gubaidulina's Fachwerk for bayan, percussion and string orchestra. What a piece! It takes you on a music journey unlike anything I've quite heard before. The last three-four minutes or so is especially thrilling. I have been ambivalent about Gubaidulina's work for quite some time, but I think I've finally found my access point. As a result, I ended up buying some more recordings of her music.

https://www.youtube.com/v/BzA-yCxAf08

A piece that goes to my must-listen list. I'll be patient to listen to it properly.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 18, 2021, 08:29:05 PM
A piece that goes to my must-listen list. I'll be patient to listen to it properly.

Always a good idea. With Gubaidulina's music, patience yields many rewards.

Mirror Image

Another Gubaidulina work that has blown me away from last night: Alleluja

As the case with Gubaidulina's music, it is incredibly moody and shrouded in shadow, but my goodness is it glorious. The instrumentation is mixed choir, boy soprano, organ and orchestra. This work would make a great concert coupling with some like Duruflé's Requiem for example. It would provide a remarkable contrast to this work. Anyway, what struck me about this Gubaidulina work is some of sheer brilliance of the orchestral writing, especially in climatic moments. It lasts around 35 minutes and the Kitajenko is the only recorded performance of it right now, but thankfully, it's well-played. 8)

Mirror Image

Just a follow-up to my last post, Cesar (SymphonicAddict) you've got to hear this Gubaidulina work!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 24, 2021, 09:00:26 PM
Just a follow-up to my last post, Cesar (SymphonicAddict) you've got to hear this Gubaidulina work!

Don't hesitate, John. Both works sound like they are my cup of tea.

Noam Chomsky