Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 09, 2021, 06:59:15 PM
I never relied on recommendations. Yes, one must forge their own path in classical --- it's really the only way.

That is more of a reflection on yourself than anything.  I can't even imagine how limited my horizons would be if I didn't try music, books or movies based upon the recommendations of others.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on September 10, 2021, 10:35:18 AM
That is more of a reflection on yourself than anything.  I can't even imagine how limited my horizons would be if I didn't try music, books or movies based upon the recommendations of others.

John (Mirror Image),

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I had thought that you listened to and checked out others suggestions here?  If not, perhaps you are missing out as it seems to me that there are a number of folks here to whom their recommendations you might be interested in?  Of course, it's o.k. if you don't like them, but maybe try at least sampling them?

In any event, I had a nice experience today...suggested by another forum member here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: kyjo on September 02, 2021, 07:13:34 PM
Petrassi: Magnificat (1939-40) and Salmo IX (1934-36)

This is mandatory listening for anyone who enjoys 20th century choral/orchestral music. These works aren't far removed from the "neo-archaic" aesthetic of Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms (though they're a bit "beefier"), and they aren't inferior to that masterpiece at all, particularly the Magnificat. Petrassi conjures up some incredibly imaginative sonorities from both the chorus and orchestra; in particular, the more mysterious passages are truly chilling!

Dallapiccola: Partita for orchestra (1930-32)

My goodness, the 1930s was a wonderful decade for Italian music! Many kudos for Gianandrea Noseda for resurrecting this music, and in marvelous performances. One of Dallapiccola's earliest works (it's fully tonal), this is stunning stuff full of color, verve, and imagination. It's in a "big-boned neoclassical" style that's of a kind with the contemporaneous later works of Casella. There's some delicious saxophone writing at times as well as a beautiful soprano solo in the finale.

Thanks for spotlighting these recordings, both of which look fantastic. I will be seeking these out, and for another reason, too: I am a big fan of Noseda.

--Bruce

André

The fast second movement of Daniel Jones' 5th symphony. It's not a scherzo, more like a fastish intermezzo with slower sections (trios?) intersepersed in the music's unfolding. The use of a skittish string figuration followed by 3 enigmatic notes on the triangle at each juncture of the movement is a brilliant move. It stands out among the prevailing seriousness of the works - dark, brooding and agitated.

Mirror Image

Okay? :-\

Symphonic Addict

A fair point. A good deal of relevant musical discoveries have been given thank many people on this forum and other places.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 09, 2021, 06:59:15 PM
I never relied on recommendations. Yes, one must forge their own path in classical --- it's really the only way.

So, you like to recommend music to others but you don't rely on the recommendations from others?  :-\
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 09, 2021, 03:57:05 AM
oh ye of little faith in your fellow forum-dwellers! A disc of the Petrassi - purchased because of your recommendation (no pressure there then) has just arrived and I'm looking forward to a 1st listen

Awesome! 8)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 09, 2021, 01:04:52 PM
I listened to the Magnificat the other day and it was really interesting. The Dallapiccola has some quite lyrical passages I wasn't expecting (something very cool, actually), but I was less impressed by it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, Kyle. No doubts our tastes are quite similar.

I need to know that Frühling's Clarinet Trio as well!

Thanks for reporting back, Cesar! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

kyjo

Quote from: Brewski on September 10, 2021, 03:48:42 PM
Thanks for spotlighting these recordings, both of which look fantastic. I will be seeking these out, and for another reason, too: I am a big fan of Noseda.

--Bruce

Yes, he's a fantastic conductor and I've greatly appreciated the sterling work he's done championing the 20th century orchestral music of his home country!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 11, 2021, 12:44:51 PM
So, you like to recommend music to others but you don't rely on the recommendations from others?  :-\

I think the bigger picture is being missed here: what I'm saying is, at the end of the day, we pursue the music that interests us. And this has absolutely nothing to do with other people, but everything to do with what moves us as listeners. And what moves us varies from one person to the next.

The new erato

I'm always curious and while obviously I don't run with any recommendation here, there are posters here with skills and knowledge of periods and areas of particular interest to me. Some of you are a great inspiration to pull discs from my probably too large collections for listening. Discs that often have laid unplayed for too long. And that is one  of the great values of this site beside keeping me abreast of new issues.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 11, 2021, 08:56:33 PM
I'm always curious and while obviously I don't run with any recommendation here, there are posters here with skills and knowledge of periods and areas of particular interest to me. Some of you are a great inspiration to pull discs from my probably too large collections for listening. Discs that often have laid unplayed for too long. And that is one  of the great values of this site beside keeping me abreast of new issues.

Well said. I agree. I've learned a lot from you and and others. I hope people don't take my whole recommendations comment to heart as I was more or less just trying to make a point that our musical journeys are ones that involve no one else.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2021, 09:02:45 PM
Well said. I agree. I've learned a lot from you and and others. I hope people don't take my whole recommendations comment to heart as I was more or less just trying to make a point that our musical journeys are ones that involve no one else.

I'm not going into names here, but you are one of those whose comments I note (even though I struggle to keep up) while not always agreeing. But one need to be pulled out of the comfort zone occasionally, and not being stuck in a listening rut. Some of you helps me with that and I don't really miss music magazines (I've subscribed to quite a lot over the years but not for some years).

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 12, 2021, 01:28:53 AM
I'm not going into names here, but you are one of those whose comments I note (even though I struggle to keep up) while not always agreeing. But one need to be pulled out of the comfort zone occasionally, and not being stuck in a listening rut. Some of you helps me with that and I don't really miss music magazines (I've subscribed to quite a lot over the years but not for some years).

Well, if I can pull you out of a listening rut with my psychobabble, I'm all for that! ;) :D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2021, 08:03:49 PM
I think the bigger picture is being missed here: what I'm saying is, at the end of the day, we pursue the music that interests us. And this has absolutely nothing to do with other people, but everything to do with what moves us as listeners. And what moves us varies from one person to the next.

Actually what I have highlighted is utterly wrong for most of us, and the adverb absolutely is absolutely wrong. It's also quite a funny thing to say on a forum whose very raison d'être is, members sharing their musical loves. And while it is certainly true that what moves us varies from one person to the next. It is equally true that probably any music that moves me has already moved another. And from this Senator's standpoint, that is the big picture.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

It seems pretty obvious, if a person whose taste I respect expresses admiration for an artist or a work of art, it puts that artist or work of art on my radar, although I will eventually come to my own conclusions. So, certainly other people influence my path through music and other arts. If I read a review of a performance which contains some more-or-less objective observations (tempos are fast/slow, dynamics are exaggerated/restrained, recording perspective is close/distant, emotions are worn on the sleeve/reserved, etc) it is useful information. Reviews that state that a recording is "the best," "better," "bad" contain no information beyond the fact that the recording exists.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

T. D.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 12, 2021, 12:14:17 PM

... It's also quite a funny thing to say on a forum whose very raison d'être is, members sharing their musical loves. ...

Hear, hear! 👍  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 12, 2021, 12:14:17 PM

Actually what I have highlighted is utterly wrong for most of us, and the adverb absolutely is absolutely wrong. It's also quite a funny thing to say on a forum whose very raison d'être is, members sharing their musical loves. And while it is certainly true that what moves us varies from one person to the next. It is equally true that probably any music that moves me has already moved another. And from this Senator's standpoint, that is the big picture.

Oh well.