Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 12, 2021, 12:14:17 PM

Actually what I have highlighted is utterly wrong for most of us, and the adverb absolutely is absolutely wrong. It's also quite a funny thing to say on a forum whose very raison d'être is, members sharing their musical loves. And while it is certainly true that what moves us varies from one person to the next. It is equally true that probably any music that moves me has already moved another. And from this Senator's standpoint, that is the big picture.

Quote from: T. D. on September 12, 2021, 06:08:05 PM
Hear, hear! 👍  :laugh:
+2

Personally, I have benefitted immensely from my interactions with various music-loving friends over the decades.  You get a feeling after awhile as to what their tastes are like and how they coincide with mine.  Not every suggestion is a big hit with me, of course, but enough of them have been and my life is the richer for that.  And I've tried to pass along what *little knowledge I have of composers and recordings to those who seem interested.

*not being able to read music, etc., makes it harder for me to describe it to others well, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it and trying to share that love for the music with others.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 13, 2021, 03:17:41 AM
+2

Personally, I have benefitted immensely from my interactions with various music-loving friends over the decades.  You get a feeling after awhile as to what their tastes are like and how they coincide with mine.  Not every suggestion is a big hit with me, of course, but enough of them have been and my life is the richer for that.  And I've tried to pass along what *little knowledge I have of composers and recordings to those who seem interested.

*not being able to read music, etc., makes it harder for me to describe it to others well, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it and trying to share that love for the music with others.  :)

PD

Thanks for sharing, PD!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: The new erato on September 11, 2021, 08:56:33 PM
there are posters here with skills and knowledge of periods and areas of particular interest to me.

Like Que and Dave.  They leave no stone unturned in my favorite eras.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2021, 09:02:45 PM
our musical journeys are ones that involve no one else.

I'm just waiting for your significant other to bonk you on the head! :laugh:

You know as an apartment dweller my across the wall neighbor has gone on the journey with me! :o

The new erato

Just like with wine reviewers. You just get to find out who hits a nerve with you. Not always within your comfort zone, but having the knowledge that when they lead you on new trails, there are significant possibilities of something of interest turning up.

When you know yourself and what interests you, and the parameters within which you are interested in exploring (no one can cover all fields in music, wine, books etc), and find someone with those qualities to listen to and discuss with, you can waive professional publications etc goodbye. A reviewer can be as knowledgeable and expert as possible, if he doesn't hit on you particular wavelength he is mainly of no interest.

Of course, it takes lots of time and an amount of misspent money to find this out, though streaming services has finally made this possible with music.

Not so easy to stream wine unfortunately. >:(

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on September 13, 2021, 04:53:34 AM
Just like with wine reviewers. You just get to find out who hits a nerve with you. Not always within your comfort zone, but having the knowledge that when they lead you on new trails, there are significant possibilities of something of interest turning up.

When you know yourself and what interests you, and the parameters within which you are interested in exploring (no one can cover all fields in music, wine, books etc), and find someone with those qualities to listen to and discuss with, you can waive professional publications etc goodbye. A reviewer can be as knowledgeable and expert as possible, if he doesn't hit on you particular wavelength he is mainly of no interest.

Of course, it takes lots of time and an amount of misspent money to find this out, though streaming services has finally made this possible with music.

Libraries and youtube help me here at my end; will try streaming services at some point in time.

Regarding your second point:  From your vast and certainly enviable cellar, just open one of your bottles and start pouring.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Oh it is quite easy about half an hour after consumed.  I'll let myself out now...

The new erato

Isac Dinesen: What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2021, 04:11:09 AM
I'm just waiting for your significant other to bonk you on the head! :laugh:

You know as an apartment dweller my across the wall neighbor has gone on the journey with me! :o

;D

Karl Henning

Good post. Maybe not bring able to stream wine is a good thing, after all....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Today, ΑΓΩΝ and Canticum sacrum have blown me away, again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

This: Chin - Violin Concerto

A splendid composition, I really enjoyed this. All the weird sonorities, textures and atmosphere provided by the soloist and the orchestra make it a quite sensational work.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 13, 2021, 08:02:12 AM

Agon is pretty good. It took me some time to enjoy it, however.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 13, 2021, 08:02:12 AM

I need to revisit Agon again... it's been a long time since I listened to it!

The piece that has "blown me away" recently is Bernstein's Serenade for violin with an orchestra of strings, harp, and percussion. Bernstein's magnificent orchestration is a big part of this, but I just love the driving rhythms of the outer movements, the soaring lyricism in the fourth movement, the virtuosic violin writing throughout, and the hair-raising and crowd-pleasing ending! It all works splendidly. So far Hilary Hahn with David Zinman conducting the Baltimore Symphony is my recording of choice.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

TheGSMoeller

Going through some of Schubert's masses, I honestly can't remember which ones I've listened to since it's been years. Last night I was listening to a new purchase of Mass No. 6 in E-Flat Major, D. 950, and more specifically the opening of the IV: Sanctus which instantly made me wide-eyed. This is some dark-Schubert.
The recording was with Giulini with Symphonie Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks on Sony Classical, which I found on YouTube. The rest of piece is masterful, but this moment really stood out.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/v/dPQ5oHGNOf0

vers la flamme

Quote from: The new erato on September 13, 2021, 06:25:34 AM
Isac Dinesen: What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?

I hope that's something she really said and not something you've made up, because it's an amazing quote  :laugh:

Can only get behind the mob in echoing my appreciation for the recommendations of others. Having friends with diverse interests, in music and elsewhere, is one of the great joys of life for me.  0:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 22, 2021, 01:32:42 PM

Can only get behind the mob in echoing my appreciation for the recommendations of others. Having friends with diverse interests, in music and elsewhere, is one of the great joys of life for me.  0:)
+1!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

John Copeland

Martinu - Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano and Timpani

What a piece this is!  I can only imagine for the Conductor it would be so difficult to get right, and for the players a bit of a nightmare.  Full of tempo changes, amazing strings, joy, tragedy, tension, brilliant piano...it's all in here.  What an outstanding work.

vandermolen

Quote from: John Copeland on September 25, 2021, 04:28:40 AM

What a piece this is!  I can only imagine for the Conductor it would be so difficult to get right, and for the players a bit of a nightmare.  Full of tempo changes, amazing strings, joy, tragedy, tension, brilliant piano...it's all in here.  What an outstanding work.
Nice to see you here John - I've missed your posts.
I have the LP featuring the Concerto for Double String Orchestra, Piano and Timpani - as with most Mackerras recordings it is excellent. The Frescoes is a marvellous work as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: John Copeland on September 25, 2021, 04:28:40 AM

A good choice. Yes, a really stormy Martinu we have here. Love the vitality and "earnestness" of this piece.

Noam Chomsky