Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: John Copeland on September 25, 2021, 04:28:40 AM

Martinu - Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano and Timpani

What a piece this is!  I can only imagine for the Conductor it would be so difficult to get right, and for the players a bit of a nightmare.  Full of tempo changes, amazing strings, joy, tragedy, tension, brilliant piano...it's all in here.  What an outstanding work.

It's great to see you again, John! I hope all is well with you. And I fully concur with your admiration of Martinů's Double Concerto. What a piece! Also, I really like that Mackerras performance. If you ever get the chance and have access to it, the Bělohlávek performance on Chandos is top-notch, too.

foxandpeng

Schnittke. Cello Concertos. Still getting my head around them. Otherworldly.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 26, 2021, 09:01:06 AM

Nice! Love those works.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

The new erato

Since it seems that I may have started this with my post on this disc in the listening thread some days ago:

+4

Symphonic Addict

More cello and orchestra:

Largo for cello and orchestra

I did remember it was great, but not that great!! I'm very impressed. It's Penderecki at many of his facets as a composer. Very kaleidoscopic.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 26, 2021, 09:01:06 AM

+5 8) I need to revisit the 2nd Concerto, but the 1st is really something else. The "redemptive" final movement is incredibly moving. And those performances by Alexander Ivashkin are superb - he's a great cellist in Russian repertoire.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vers la flamme

+5.5 for Schnittke (never heard the 2nd concerto but I can certainly vouch for the 1st)

relm1

I'm really loving George Szell's Prokofiev 5 and Bartok Concerto for Orchestra recording.  Such a fabulous conductor who merges detail, expressivity, and long structure.  That's so rare!

kyjo

Two relatively brief tone poems (11:30 and 9:30 respectively) which I had heard before, but recent re-listens confirmed that they appeal to my tastes so well:

Avshalomoff: Hutungs of Peking

https://youtu.be/TxbQaI4_SBQ

One of the most colorfully exotic works I know. Avshalomoff captures the hustle and bustle of the city streets with a wonderfully vibrant flair. There's a section about 5 minutes in which is terrifyingly imposing (complete with a gong crash) - it's like entering the court of some powerful ancient emperor!

William Lloyd Webber: Aurora

https://youtu.be/S-DRoD4Jh2A

Depicting the Roman goddess of dawn, this sensually beautiful and atmospheric piece has a swoon-worthy main theme that won't soon be forgotten once heard. There's also rather Sibelian dramatic tension at times which gives the piece a substantial feel despite its relatively brief length. It's a pity W. Lloyd Webber was never compelled to write any larger-scale works!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2021, 08:18:40 PM
Two relatively brief tone poems (11:30 and 9:30 respectively) which I had heard before, but recent re-listens confirmed that they appeal to my tastes so well:

One of the most colorfully exotic works I know. Avshalomoff captures the hustle and bustle of the city streets with a wonderfully vibrant flair. There's a section about 5 minutes in which is terrifyingly imposing (complete with a gong crash) - it's like entering the court of some powerful ancient emperor!

His sons, Jacob and David Avshalomov are also fine composers.   I've met David and played in the premiere of one of his concert works where he conducted.  Very kind man.  Here is a fine work of his brother's: Jacob Avshalomov's "The Taking of T'ung Kuan" you might also enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UflLGcY4ZZk

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on October 01, 2021, 06:14:28 AM
His sons, Jacob and David Avshalomov are also fine composers.   I've met David and played in the premiere of one of his concert works where he conducted.  Very kind man.  Here is a fine work of his brother's: Jacob Avshalomov's "The Taking of T'ung Kuan" you might also enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UflLGcY4ZZk

Thanks, I'll check it out! 8)

Symphonic Addict

Depicting the Roman goddess of dawn, this sensually beautiful and atmospheric piece has a swoon-worthy main theme that won't soon be forgotten once heard. There's also rather Sibelian dramatic tension at times which gives the piece a substantial feel despite its relatively brief length. It's a pity W. Lloyd Webber was never compelled to write any larger-scale works!

I know Avshalomov's two symphonies which are colourful and exotic aplenty. This should be interesting to hear too.

I remember being quite fond of the Lloyd Webber. A work that has a similar character is Ludomir Rozycki's Mona Lisa Gioconda. A tender musical picture, and it's so lovely, subtle, enchanting. A very nice piece.

Noam Chomsky

Pohjolas Daughter

Your description of both of those works has intrigued me.  I'll listen to the Lloyd Webber work in a bit.  I hadn't heard of William before now, but wasn't surprised to learn that he was the father of Andrew and Julian.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 03, 2021, 07:45:01 PM
I know Avshalomov's two symphonies which are colourful and exotic aplenty. This should be interesting to hear too.

I remember being quite fond of the Lloyd Webber. A work that has a similar character is Ludomir Rozycki's Mona Lisa Gioconda. A tender musical picture, and it's so lovely, subtle, enchanting. A very nice piece.

I look forward to exploring Avshalomov's two symphonies and the Rozycki work, neither of which I know!

Pohjolas Daughter

Listened to the William Lloyd Webber piece a short while ago--lovely!  Has a bit of that romantic bitter-sweet feeling that I love.  :)  I read that he studied composition with Vaughan Williams.  Any idea how long of a time period that would have been for?  Just curious.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2021, 09:28:23 AM
Listened to the William Lloyd Webber piece a short while ago--lovely!  Has a bit of that romantic bitter-sweet feeling that I love.  :)  I read that he studied composition with Vaughan Williams.  Any idea how long of a time period that would have been for?  Just curious.

PD

Glad you enjoyed it! It appears that he studied with Vaughan Williams while he was a student at the Royal College of Music.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on October 07, 2021, 08:15:17 AM
Glad you enjoyed it! It appears that he studied with Vaughan Williams while he was a student at the Royal College of Music.
Yes, I had read that too.  I don't know how long do compositional studies go on for?  Or does one change teachers each semester or year?  Just curious here.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter