Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Knowing nothing of Popov, I ordered a copy of that CD on Symphonic Addict's recommendation and the strength of the samples I heard.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 26, 2021, 06:12:37 PM
Knowing nothing of Popov, I ordered a copy of that CD on Symphonic Addict's recommendation and the strength of the samples I heard.

Hope you'll enjoy it. Popov was an accomplished composer, and you notice that in many of his works.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 26, 2021, 05:33:02 PM
Yeah, the Gorecki is a stunner indeed! It sounds nothing like his famous 3rd Symphony, for instance. I have fond memories of the Popov. I revisited his more modernistic 1st Symphony last night, which I can't rank too highly on account of its overlong, poorly structured, and not terribly memorable (IMHO) 1st movement. However, the 2nd and 3rd movements are a considerable improvement, above all the terrifically noisy and exciting finale.

Precisely, and that minimalist element of the music makes it thrilling and never boring.

The Popov is superb indeed. That ending is insane and visceral. The symphony has received other two or three recordings more, but this is the one to beat.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The first pieces, for me, of this year running, are:

Langgaard and his 6th Symphony, my favorite one-movement symphony ever, divided into its themes and variations. Langgaard is a guaranteed genius, one who favors fine counterpoint, motivic development, combination of moods and humours that make this exhilarating symphony a work of a supreme triumph, intense battles, conflict, struggle and catharsis, hilarity!!! And this is the best performance hands down, I kid you not!!!

This 4th is my second favorite overall, just after Stupel/Danacord. Yet another work with which I connect and resonate like anything else in my life. I make jokes by saying that it is the soundtrack of my life. It depicts atmospheres and bring so many memories to mind.

Nielsen with his 5th Symphony reaches a mastery of symphonic rigurosity and ambition, and he succeeds at trying once again!

Something that astounds me about this symphony is how in 6 movements, he manages to be succesful in just two movements, thematically linked and developed, and the whole is totally organic, natural, you don't feel it incongruous. It's a masterpiece of the first order. I mean, even though you can dislike or feel little interest in his music, nobody can't deny it is a work of a genius, by a human who lived! And the way that he like interweaves motifs, themes and ideas in general, so engaging, amusing, quirky, lively. For me, it embodies the most important in creation: life and death. If you pay attention to details, it's a war work, life and death, calmness, turbulence, chaos, triumph, catharsis. Wow! This composer succeeds at combining so many elements that appeal to me enormously!

Definitely Thomson understood Nielsen's intentions. The music has to be vigorous, always running, it needs to unfold organically, and Thomson and the RSNO are at the height of expectations, not to mention the fantastic Chandos sound quality.

Jaques-Dalcroze: Tableaux romands

This fascinating suite has been a marvelous discovery. You are aware of that you have listened to music like this, a set of tone poems into themselves of sorts before, but it is not. The music has a distinctive voice. It's authentic, and quite personal and mesmerizing! It has something of Strauss, Raff, a very Swiss flavour, and he doesn't sound like any of them. The opening movement is titled L'Alpe, a majestic depiction of the Alps. Highly evocative and beautiful stuff. So are the other four movements: Un clocher... au loin, Travail, Le Lac and Kermesse

Un clocher... au loin has so peaceful sonorities. It's my second favorite of those "tone poems". Adriano and the Moscow Symphony Orchestra don't disappoint. They feel this music in their bloods, and in that way they play.

Bridge: Summer

My goodness, how have I been without knowing this beauty at depth! Bridge was a music painter. This is a poem in all the whole meaning of the word. These The Sea and Enter Spring are the most remarkable recordings of those pieces. The recordings are impeccable

Noam Chomsky

André

+ 1 for Jacques-Dalcroze ! Marvellous music  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Addict

And as some terrific music leads to other, I have to mention Gubaidulina's SQ 1, that took me to this another quartet: Schnittke's SQ 3, and as the Gubaidulina, is performed by the Quatuor Molinari. Absorbing music, committed playing.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 15, 2022, 04:11:02 PM
And as some terrific music leads to other, I have to mention Gubaidulina's SQ 1, that took me to this another quartet: Schnittke's SQ 3, and as the Gubaidulina, is performed by the Quatuor Molinari. Absorbing music, committed playing.

Too many comments in this thread to digest at the moment, but big "yes" for both the Gubaidulina 1 (1971) and Schnittke 3 (1983). I haven't heard the Molinari in these, so adding to the long queue.

--Bruce

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 01, 2022, 05:08:51 PM

Langgaard and his 6th Symphony, my favorite one-movement symphony ever, divided into its themes and variations. Langgaard is a guaranteed genius, one who favors fine counterpoint, motivic development, combination of moods and humours that make this exhilarating symphony a work of a supreme triumph, intense battles, conflict, struggle and catharsis, hilarity!!! And this is the best performance hands down, I kid you not!!!

This 4th is my second favorite overall, just after Stupel/Danacord. Yet another work with which I connect and resonate like anything else in my life. I make jokes by saying that it is the soundtrack of my life. It depicts atmospheres and bring so many memories to mind.

Nielsen with his 5th Symphony reaches a mastery of symphonic rigurosity and ambition, and he succeeds at trying once again!

Something that astounds me about this symphony is how in 6 movements, he manages to be succesful in just two movements, thematically linked and developed, and the whole is totally organic, natural, you don't feel it incongruous. It's a masterpiece of the first order. I mean, even though you can dislike or feel little interest in his music, nobody can't deny it is a work of a genius, by a human who lived! And the way that he like interweaves motifs, themes and ideas in general, so engaging, amusing, quirky, lively. For me, it embodies the most important in creation: life and death. If you pay attention to details, it's a war work, life and death, calmness, turbulence, chaos, triumph, catharsis. Wow! This composer succeeds at combining so many elements that appeal to me enormously!

Definitely Thomson understood Nielsen's intentions. The music has to be vigorous, always running, it needs to unfold organically, and Thomson and the RSNO are at the height of expectations, not to mention the fantastic Chandos sound quality.

This fascinating suite has been a marvelous discovery. You are aware of that you have listened to music like this, a set of tone poems into themselves of sorts before, but it is not. The music has a distinctive voice. It's authentic, and quite personal and mesmerizing! It has something of Strauss, Raff, a very Swiss flavour, and he doesn't sound like any of them. The opening movement is titled L'Alpe, a majestic depiction of the Alps. Highly evocative and beautiful stuff. So are the other four movements: Un clocher... au loin, Travail, Le Lac and Kermesse

Un clocher... au loin has so peaceful sonorities. It's my second favorite of those "tone poems". Adriano and the Moscow Symphony Orchestra don't disappoint. They feel this music in their bloods, and in that way they play.

My goodness, how have I been without knowing this beauty at depth! Bridge was a music painter. This is a poem in all the whole meaning of the word. These The Sea and Enter Spring are the most remarkable recordings of those pieces. The recordings are impeccable

Thank you. This is so useful
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

kyjo

Miłosz Magin (1929-99): Piano Concerto no. 3, Violin Concerto no. 1 and other works (Sony CD); Piano Concerto no. 2 and Cello Concerto (Acte Preable CD)

This relatively unknown Polish composer has been a superb discovery for me! His language is characterized by an unmistakable folksy flavor, Prokofievian wit, and moments of chorale-like tranquility. The PC no. 3 and CC are more "serious", darker works, while the VC no. 1 and PC no. 2 are endearingly light-hearted and full of bright-eyed innocence. I hope more of his stuff gets recorded soon!

Haydn: Violin Concertos

I'm finding that I'm enjoying Haydn's less-discussed works (piano trios, concerti, songs) as much - and sometimes more than - his well-known symphonies and string quartets! These three VCs - especially the one in A major - are full of such joyous invention and energy that's irresistible. And what glorious performances these are! Isabelle Faust and the Munchener Kammerorchester under Christoph Poppen play with full-bodied sound and vibrato, but still with a stylish and idiomatic sense of phrasing. Essential listening for Haydn lovers!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on January 19, 2022, 08:00:19 AM
Miłosz Magin (1929-99): Piano Concerto no. 3, Violin Concerto no. 1 and other works (Sony CD); Piano Concerto no. 2 and Cello Concerto (Acte Preable CD)

This relatively unknown Polish composer has been a superb discovery for me! His language is characterized by an unmistakable folksy flavor, Prokofievian wit, and moments of chorale-like tranquility. The PC no. 3 and CC are more "serious", darker works, while the VC no. 1 and PC no. 2 are endearingly light-hearted and full of bright-eyed innocence. I hope more of his stuff gets recorded soon!

He was also a refined and sensitive pianist who recorded Chopin's complete works for piano solo for Decca.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Rinaldo

Coming over from the 'Hold a single note or chord for a whole hour, and call it music' thread:

Liam CareyYes and No, for 22 solo strings

https://www.youtube.com/v/5a8szQyozxs

An aural feast, if spectral music is your thing.

Symphonic Addict

Hell, this is one of the most inexhaustingly melodic, tuneful, exhilarating, rewarding, perfect group of melodies and motifs cleverly constructed and crafted in the 2nd movement that is to die for! This is is the creation of a genius! I mean, the Alla Polka from his String Quartet No. 1. Be careful, it is extremely tuneful, catchy and exhilarating as nothing else!

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 01, 2022, 05:08:51 PM

That Dalcroze (never heard of him) CD looks of great interest Cesar! Thumbs up for all the others. Frank Bridge is a genuinely 'undeservedly neglected' composer. Works like 'The Sea' 'Enter Spring' and 'Oration' are wonderfully atmospheric and moving works and there is some great chamber music as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 06:23:12 PM
Hell, this is one of the most inexhaustingly melodic, tuneful, exhilarating, rewarding, perfect group of melodies and motifs cleverly constructed and crafted in the 2nd movement that is to die for! This is is the creation of a genius! I mean, the Alla Polka from his String Quartet No. 1. Be careful, it is extremely tuneful, catchy and exhilarating as nothing else!

Oh, yes! Both of Smetana's SQs are masterpieces (the 2nd being strikingly "modernistic" for its time, if less tuneful than the 1st), and so is his splendidly passionate Piano Trio. I prefer them all quite considerably to his orchestral works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Uhor

A long time ago:
León Biriotti - Rashomon (didn't know such music existed in my country): https://youtu.be/FSD3V891lGc

A few days ago:
Frank Martin - Petite symphonie concertante: https://youtu.be/hTkbjOzsLCI

kyjo

Joubert: Symphony no. 1 (1955-56) and Bate: Symphony no. 4 (1954-55)

My second listen to both works - and yes, my initial excellent impressions were confirmed! There was a remarkable proliferation of fine symphonies coming from the British Isles during the mid-20th century, and these two works are further proof of that. The Joubert is a propulsive, concentrated, dramatic, thrilling work which begins in a Stravinskian/Hindemithian neoclassical vein but soon accumulates the virile energy and epic reach of Walton's 1st Symphony. The anguished slow movement (in E-flat minor - take note Cesar! :D) begins with a gesture like the famous opening of Carmina Burana. The scherzo is as malicious, biting, and rhythmic as that of Walton 1, and the finale progresses from a doom-laden opening to an affirmative conclusion. In short, this work has everything I look for in a symphony - and it lasts just over half an hour. It receives an absolutely smoking performance by the LPO under Handley, with the timpanist clearly relishing his very active part! An Amazon reviewer compared this symphony to Robert Simpson, but I find it much more engaging than any of that composer's efforts.

The Bate may be less immediately memorable than the Joubert, but it is still an undeniably fine and deeply-felt work that doesn't really sound much like anyone else. Throughout the work, consonantly lyrical passages are followed by more astringent, dramatic climaxes which can build to epic proportions. As in the Joubert, the scherzo is a really relentless fireball of a movement, and the buildup leading to the end of the work is truly suspenseful and gripping. Interestingly, the first movement ends in A major while the finale ends on an A minor chord.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 24, 2022, 07:02:00 PM
Joubert: Symphony no. 1 (1955-56) and Bate: Symphony no. 4 (1954-55)

My second listen to both works - and yes, my initial excellent impressions were confirmed! There was a remarkable proliferation of fine symphonies coming from the British Isles during the mid-20th century, and these two works are further proof of that. The Joubert is a propulsive, concentrated, dramatic, thrilling work which begins in a Stravinskian/Hindemithian neoclassical vein but soon accumulates the virile energy and epic reach of Walton's 1st Symphony. The anguished slow movement (in E-flat minor - take note Cesar! :D) begins with a gesture like the famous opening of Carmina Burana. The scherzo is as malicious, biting, and rhythmic as that of Walton 1, and the finale progresses from a doom-laden opening to an affirmative conclusion. In short, this work has everything I look for in a symphony - and it lasts just over half an hour. It receives an absolutely smoking performance by the LPO under Handley, with the timpanist clearly relishing his very active part! An Amazon reviewer compared this symphony to Robert Simpson, but I find it much more engaging than any of that composer's efforts.

The Bate may be less immediately memorable than the Joubert, but it is still an undeniably fine and deeply-felt work that doesn't really sound much like anyone else. Throughout the work, consonantly lyrical passages are followed by more astringent, dramatic climaxes which can build to epic proportions. As in the Joubert, the scherzo is a really relentless fireball of a movement, and the buildup leading to the end of the work is truly suspenseful and gripping. Interestingly, the first movement ends in A major while the finale ends on an A minor chord.

Cold and cerebral words for our British Simpson, Kyle.  ;D

That E-flat-minor tip has been trapped succesfully! 8) :P

Another work to revisit along with Alwyn's PC 2.

And +1 for both works. The Bate holds quite well into British repertoire. Perhaps I prefer the more Nielsenesque and maniac 3rd. I really hope some good record label rescues Stanley Bate from oblivion by recording all of his works since there are not many either and his compositional voice is like transitional between periods and facets among British composers as they are concerned.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 15, 2022, 11:29:49 PM
Thank you. This is so useful

My pleasure!

Useful (thank you) and rather subjective, of course.  ;D

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2022, 12:16:53 AM
That Dalcroze (never heard of him) CD looks of great interest Cesar! Thumbs up for all the others. Frank Bridge is a genuinely 'undeservedly neglected' composer. Works like 'The Sea' 'Enter Spring' and 'Oration' are wonderfully atmospheric and moving works and there is some great chamber music as well.

I'm pretty sure you could enjoy the Jaques-Dalcroze quite a bit, Jeffrey. I said something about a Raff connection. Forget that, please! Straussian? It kind of suggests that, but J-D has a voice of his own, that's for sure! I can't pinpoint his language, sounds apparently traditional, but it has something of a distinctive talent here

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 24, 2022, 07:48:36 AM
Oh, yes! Both of Smetana's SQs are masterpieces (the 2nd being strikingly "modernistic" for its time, if less tuneful than the 1st), and so is his splendidly passionate Piano Trio. I prefer them all quite considerably to his orchestral works.

I love his chamber music A LOT, and to be honest, I couldn't live without My Country either (including the tiresome triangle parts)!  ;)

Noam Chomsky