Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 2

I know this thread is about new pieces for you, but hey, this is the most hedonistic, perfectly played, gargantuan and muscular performance I've ever heard, and with spectacular sound quality. I hadn't heard this masterpiece like this as before! Stunning.

I have a doubt, however: is this version and orchestration the one Rachmaninov intended? I mean, I feel it like changed in some passages and orchestrated in a different way.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 24, 2022, 07:02:00 PM
Joubert: Symphony no. 1 (1955-56) and Bate: Symphony no. 4 (1954-55)

My second listen to both works - and yes, my initial excellent impressions were confirmed! There was a remarkable proliferation of fine symphonies coming from the British Isles during the mid-20th century, and these two works are further proof of that. The Joubert is a propulsive, concentrated, dramatic, thrilling work which begins in a Stravinskian/Hindemithian neoclassical vein but soon accumulates the virile energy and epic reach of Walton's 1st Symphony. The anguished slow movement (in E-flat minor - take note Cesar! :D) begins with a gesture like the famous opening of Carmina Burana. The scherzo is as malicious, biting, and rhythmic as that of Walton 1, and the finale progresses from a doom-laden opening to an affirmative conclusion. In short, this work has everything I look for in a symphony - and it lasts just over half an hour. It receives an absolutely smoking performance by the LPO under Handley, with the timpanist clearly relishing his very active part! An Amazon reviewer compared this symphony to Robert Simpson, but I find it much more engaging than any of that composer's efforts.

The Bate may be less immediately memorable than the Joubert, but it is still an undeniably fine and deeply-felt work that doesn't really sound much like anyone else. Throughout the work, consonantly lyrical passages are followed by more astringent, dramatic climaxes which can build to epic proportions. As in the Joubert, the scherzo is a really relentless fireball of a movement, and the buildup leading to the end of the work is truly suspenseful and gripping. Interestingly, the first movement ends in A major while the finale ends on an A minor chord.
Two great British symphonies IMO Kyle and nice review. In view of his troubled life I find the 'hopeless defiance' at the end of Bate's 4th Symphony to be very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 24, 2022, 08:02:44 PM
My pleasure!

Useful (thank you) and rather subjective, of course.  ;D

I'm pretty sure you could enjoy the Jaques-Dalcroze quite a bit, Jeffrey. I said something about a Raff connection. Forget that, please! Straussian? It kind of suggests that, but J-D has a voice of his own, that's for sure! I can't pinpoint his language, sounds apparently traditional, but it has something of a distinctive talent here
Have already ordered the CD Cesar  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Nikolai Tcherepnin: 'Destiny' Three Symphonic Fragments on a Ballad by Edgar Allan Poe' This was originally a ballet score based on Poe's 'Masque of the Red Death' (there's a great Roger Corman film starring Vincent Price). I've listened to it about five times already today. It is (as appropriate) hauntingly atmospheric and I'm so pleased to have discovered this CD having enjoyed his ballet 'Echo and Narcissus' so much (thank you Leo/Cato for that recommendation).'Destiny' is rather cinematic. The three movements consist of 'In the Chamber of the Ebony Clock', 'The Party' and 'Orgy - Final Struggle and Death'. It has a rather magical and appropriately ominous atmosphere. It is beautifully scored, as appropriate for a student of Rimsky-Korsakov.
Nikolai's father (also called Nikolai) was the last doctor of the great Russian writer Fyodor Dostoevsky - an interesting family:

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 24, 2022, 07:55:34 PM
Cold and cerebral words for our British Simpson, Kyle.  ;D

That E-flat-minor tip has been trapped succesfully! 8) :P

Another work to revisit along with Alwyn's PC 2.

And +1 for both works. The Bate holds quite well into British repertoire. Perhaps I prefer the more Nielsenesque and maniac 3rd. I really hope some good record label rescues Stanley Bate from oblivion by recording all of his works since there are not many either and his compositional voice is like transitional between periods and facets among British composers as they are concerned.

Regarding Simpson, he's one of those composers - like Delius and Brian - who sharply divides opinion. I've never been able to get into his music - I find it cold and cerebral as you said. ;D

I also hope more of Bate's output gets recorded. Despite his sadly short life (he died at age 47), he produced a substantial body of works, including multiple ballets, 5 PCs, 3 VCs and other concerti, and some chamber works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

This:

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 12:13:16 PM
NP:

Martin
Drey Minnelieder
Barbara Vigfusson (soprano), Miriam Terragni (flute), Harald Stampa (guitar)

Oh, man. This is just so gorgeous.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

kyjo

Honegger: Sonatina for Violin and Cello (Christian Teztlaff/Christian Poltera)

Generally speaking, Honegger's works can be divided into two groups: the "dark/serious/dissonant" side (Symphonies 2, 3, and 5) and the "elegant/pastoral/insouciant/lyrical" side (Cello Concerto, Symphony 4, Pastorale d'ete). This delightful, expertly crafted work falls into the latter category, and is an immensely valuable contribution to the rather limited literature for violin and cello duo. The rustic, life-affirmingly diatonic melodies of the first movement brought joy to my soul! The slow movement is an oasis of calm with a witty middle section, and the finale is playful romp complete with virtuosic, "gypsy"-like cadenzas for both instruments. Absolutely essential listening for Honeggerians!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 26, 2022, 06:08:51 PM
Honegger: Sonatina for Violin and Cello (Christian Teztlaff/Christian Poltera)

Generally speaking, Honegger's works can be divided into two groups: the "dark/serious/dissonant" side (Symphonies 2, 3, and 5) and the "elegant/pastoral/insouciant/lyrical" side (Cello Concerto, Symphony 4, Pastorale d'ete). This delightful, expertly crafted work falls into the latter category, and is an immensely valuable contribution to the rather limited literature for violin and cello duo. The rustic, life-affirmingly diatonic melodies of the first movement brought joy to my soul! The slow movement is an oasis of calm with a witty middle section, and the finale is playful romp complete with virtuosic, "gypsy"-like cadenzas for both instruments. Absolutely essential listening for Honeggerians!!

Duly noted, Honeggerian Kyle!  ;D

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2022, 06:10:42 PM
Duly noted, Honeggerian Kyle!  ;D

You bring up an interesting point, I wonder who amongst our esteemed members here would qualify as a "Honegger fanatic"? I'm certainly in the running! I would say Jeffrey (Vandermolen), but I'm not sure how aware he is of the more obscure works (?). Kyle is in the running, too, but, again, I'm thinking of the same thoughts I had about Jeffrey. There are rarer works that don't get discussed here too often. Like, for example, I don't ever see his solo piano music get mentioned or the chamber works outside of the SQs with the maybe a notable exception of a cello/piano work or something.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 07:14:19 PM
You bring up an interesting point, I wonder who amongst our esteemed members here would qualify as a "Honegger fanatic"? I'm certainly in the running! I would say Jeffrey (Vandermolen), but I'm not sure how aware he is of the more obscure works (?). Kyle is in the running, too, but, again, I'm thinking of the same thoughts I had about Jeffrey. There are rarer works that don't get discussed here too often. Like, for example, I don't ever see his solo piano music get mentioned or the chamber works outside of the SQs with the maybe a notable exception of a cello/piano work or something.

Oh, I have some quite good less-known works in a list:

-Violin Sonata No. 1
-Cello Sonata
-Hymne for strings
-Danse de la chévre for solo flute
-Sonata for solo violin
-Introduction et Danse for flute, string trio and harp
-Le Demon de l'Himalaya – Two symphonic movements

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2022, 07:47:37 PM
Oh, I have some quite good less-known works in a list:

-Violin Sonata No. 1
-Cello Sonata
-Hymne for strings
-Danse de la chévre for solo flute
-Sonata for solo violin
-Introduction et Danse for flute, string trio and harp
-Le Demon de l'Himalaya – Two symphonic movements

But what of the ballets or lyrical dramas? I have found this website extremely useful:

[From this direct link you can look at his oeuvre by section]

http://arthur-honegger.com/en/catalogue-of-works/

ritter

Surprisingly (given my musical preferences) I was highly impressed today with César Franck's Prélude, choral et fugue, as played by Catherine Collard. This mix of Bachian purity and romantic passion sounded particularly attractive to me today. The work also had an extra-musical effect on me, as it brought back memories of Luchino Visconti's relatively unknown but superb film Vaghe stelle dell'Orsa (aka Sandra), which I watched years ago and where Franck's piece plays a prominent role.

And earlier, I was thrilled to discover André Boucourechliev's Les Archipels, as reported here.

Archipel I from the recording I was listening to can be accessed on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LJXr4CggE&t=421s (I think the other pieces are available there as well).

Florestan

Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat Major KV 482

I've always liked it but in the last few days I played it several times in a row daily (Anda/ Camerata Salzburg --- the performance is fantastic and the sonics are aboslutely superb, each and every orchestral detail is clearly audible, the winds in particular achieving miracles of expressivity). What a gorgeous piece of music, almost achingly beautiful. 

"Does it not seem as if Mozart's works become fresher and fresher the oftener we hear them?" ~ Robert Schumann

Amen!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on February 01, 2022, 01:38:34 AM
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 22 in E-flat Major KV 482

I've always liked it but in the last few days I played it several times in a row daily (Anda/ Camerata Salzburg --- the performance is fantastic and the sonics are aboslutely superb, each and every orchestral detail is clearly audible, the winds in particular achieving miracles of expressivity). What a gorgeous piece of music, almost achingly beautiful. 

"Does it not seem as if Mozart's works become fresher and fresher the oftener we hear them?" ~ Robert Schumann

Amen!

Oh yes! A glorious work, and one of my favorite of Mozart's PCs along with nos. 17, 24, and 26. The slow movement is remarkably poignant and tonally ambiguous (hovering between major and minor), and the orchestration throughout is marvelous, with particularly soloistic wind parts as you say.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2022, 11:46:19 AM
Surprisingly (given my musical preferences) I was highly impressed today with César Franck's Prélude, choral et fugue, as played by Catherine Collard. This mix of Bachian purity and romantic passion sounded particularly attractive to me today. The work also had an extra-musical effect on me, as it brought back memories of Luchino Visconti's relatively unknown but superb film Vaghe stelle dell'Orsa (aka Sandra), which I watched years ago and where Franck's piece plays a prominent role.

I listened to this work not too long ago and I rather enjoyed it as well --- rather monolithic, but powerful.

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on February 04, 2022, 06:55:43 AM
Oh yes! A glorious work, and one of my favorite of Mozart's PCs along with nos. 17, 24, and 26. The slow movement is remarkably poignant and tonally ambiguous (hovering between major and minor), and the orchestration throughout is marvelous, with particularly soloistic wind parts as you say.

8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

arpeggio

Reminder of OP.  This thread is for a member to discuss a new composer or work he is unfamiliar with that he has just discovered.

There are other threads where a member can discuss a new outstanding recording of a work they are familiar with.

For example, I am not familiar with the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 22 .  So, if I submitted a post about this work, it would have been new to me.

I have not posted in a while because I have not heard anything new that has blown me away.

I have just discovered the music of Florence Price.  She was a contemporary of William Grant Still.  For years I have read that the first great African American symphonist was still.  She has not received the recognition she is due because of her sex as well as her race.  Note for note her symphonies are as strong as Still's.

[asin]B09KZ5RXQ9[/asin]

Mirror Image

Recently, I've been blown away by Szymanowski's Métopes, Op. 29. Such an unusual piece in terms of atmosphere, but the harmonic content is beguiling.