Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Massenet: Le Carillon - Ballet

I consider that Massenet is seriously underrated. The orchestral works I've heard from his pen have meant good moments aplenty to me (the operas still continue unknown to me, though). Today this rather short ballet (38-minute long) has delighted me in a high degree, I must say. The opening alone is laden by such joy and instrumental feast that won't leave you indifferent. Massenet imprints freshness and has a good ear to colourful orchestration, all of that proves to be true in this charming ballet. And good climaxes were his specialty! Sounds splendidly performed and it could be found in that Decca Edition.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

The Tamberg Symphonic Dances and Concerto Grosso are among my very favorite neoclassical works by anyone. I don't know how much more Tamberg is unrecorded in various genres, but I would happily explore all of it and support any label that tries it.

Maestro267

Hans Werner Henze's Symphonies, especially Nos. 6 & 7. Just completely mindblowing and wringing every last dram out of the tension.

On the Intensity Scale I'll rank this somewhere between Hartmann and Pettersson, ie. right near the top of the scale.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 22, 2022, 05:09:45 AM
Hans Werner Henze's Symphonies, especially Nos. 6 & 7. Just completely mindblowing and wringing every last dram out of the tension.

On the Intensity Scale I'll rank this somewhere between Hartmann and Pettersson, ie. right near the top of the scale.

I like his music too.

ritter

I've often stated my general dislike for the violin + piano combination, and have on occasion also mentioned my ambivalence regarding Karol Szymanowski, but this composer has achieved the unexpected: I'm bowled over by Mythes! What a piece!

I first approached the work via this CD, that I had actually bought for the solo piano music it contains (Métopes and Masques):

Brian

I listened to Miaskovsky Symphony No. 21 last night (Gould/Chicago/RCA) and was surprised to find that the fast parts sound a lot like...Walton?

Irons

Choral music is far from being a first love but "blown away" by Holst's Psalm 86. A lovely performance from Imogen Holst, The Purcell Singers, Ian Partridge with Ralph Downes (organ) and ECO. A masterpiece of simplicity.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on July 25, 2022, 12:15:10 PM
I've often stated my general dislike for the violin + piano combination, and have on occasion also mentioned my ambivalence regarding Karol Szymanowski, but this composer has achieved the unexpected: I'm bowled over by Mythes! What a piece!

I first approached the work via this CD, that I had actually bought for the solo piano music it contains (Métopes and Masques):

Nice! Szymanowski is one of my favorites. Good to read you were quite taken with Mythes. Such a lovely piece.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 22, 2022, 05:09:45 AM

Very cool. 8) I need to spend more time with the Henze symphonies, but his music in general. I've liked much of what I've heard so far.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 16, 2022, 07:11:03 PM
A great piece indeed, and I agree about the Piazzollan tune in the 1st movement, it gives more personality to it.

(Forgive the belated reply :-[) I'm glad you enjoyed it, Cesar!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 16, 2022, 07:11:59 PM

I consider that Massenet is seriously underrated. The orchestral works I've heard from his pen have meant good moments aplenty to me (the operas still continue unknown to me, though). Today this rather short ballet (38-minute long) has delighted me in a high degree, I must say. The opening alone is laden by such joy and instrumental feast that won't leave you indifferent. Massenet imprints freshness and has a good ear to colourful orchestration, all of that proves to be true in this charming ballet. And good climaxes were his specialty! Sounds splendidly performed and it could be found in that Decca Edition.

I don't know that particular ballet, but I totally agree with what you say about Massenet. The world could use more of his totally charming and unpretentious music - it's a shame that he's only remembered for one 5-minute piece, the ubiquitous Meditation from Thais. I've gained immense pleasure from his orchestral suites, the ballet Espada, and his Piano Concerto (which has one of the catchiest finales in the repertoire). I really ought to listen to a few of his operas....
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2022, 07:32:59 PM
The Tamberg Symphonic Dances and Concerto Grosso are among my very favorite neoclassical works by anyone. I don't know how much more Tamberg is unrecorded in various genres, but I would happily explore all of it and support any label that tries it.

I very much agree, Brian. A tantalizing and detailed worklist can be found here: https://www.emic.ee/?sisu=heliloojad&mid=58&id=92&lang=eng&action=view&method=teosed

classicalgeek

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2022, 06:27:39 PM
I very much agree, Brian. A tantalizing and detailed worklist can be found here: https://www.emic.ee/?sisu=heliloojad&mid=58&id=92&lang=eng&action=view&method=teosed

Someone needs to get on a complete Tamberg edition ASAP! ;D I've only heard a few of his works, but I've greatly enjoyed them.

As for the piece that 'blew me away', that was Szymanowski's First Violin Concerto. I'm familiar with some of Szymanowski's music and I've found it engaging and colorful, but somehow the First Violin Concerto eluded me. It was a true 'where has this been all my life?' moment - writing for the soloist that's achingly lyrical one moment, only to turn hair-raisingly virtuosic a minute later. And it's dazzlingly orchestrated on top of that - he uses a full symphony orchestra (including triple winds, several percussionists, harp, celesta, and piano) but it never overwhelms the soloist. I listened to the recording with Jennifer Koh and Carlos Kalmar that also includes some Martinu and Bartok, but there are a number of good recordings available. Just a stunning work, and a reminder that I need to get even better acquainted with Szymanowski!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

DaveF

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 11, 2022, 08:02:24 AM
As for the piece that 'blew me away', that was Szymanowski's First Violin Concerto. I'm familiar with some of Szymanowski's music...

If Mirror Image were here, he'd certainly be agreeing.  If you don't know Harnasie and the Stabat Mater, then don't delay.

For me, this is a bit of a recent find:

I used to have the Humoresques on this LP many years ago:

Yet another of those old Turnabout releases that goes straight to the top of the "Worst LP Art" thread.  Needless to say, Kuusisto and the Tapiola are rather better (in sound and performance as well as cover art).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 16, 2022, 07:11:59 PM

Jules Massenet : Le Carillon, Ballet in one act (1892) (National Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Richard Bonynge)

https://www.youtube.com/v/nDfyv6HQfzs

kyjo

Quote from: DaveF on August 15, 2022, 05:27:18 AM
For me, this is a bit of a recent find:

That's a great disc! The Humoresques and Swanwhite Suite are two of the best-kept secrets of Sibelius' oeuvre.

DaveF

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2022, 08:05:26 PM
That's a great disc! The Humoresques and Swanwhite Suite are two of the best-kept secrets of Sibelius' oeuvre.

I suppose the Humoresques and Serenades just don't fit comfortably into concert programmes - too slight to stand alone, too weighty to be encores (although it would be good to hear of soloists following a performance of the concerto with one or two of them).  The only slight puzzle on the disc, to my ears, is the Suite, Op.117 - the last music he ever published, yet I didn't find anything particularly late-Sibelian about it - it could come from almost anywhere in his career (a judgment based on two hearings).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Symphonic Addict

Quintet for piano, violin, two violas and cello in D minor

Juon's specialty was the writing for chamber forces. No doubts why he is one of my favorite composers in that respect. The mastery of ideas and development displayed here shines efforlessly. The fact of including a second viola highlights the poetic element to the music. What a work. First-class stuff played splendidly. The Kammersinfonie on the same CD is in the same league.

Bloch: String Quartet No. 3

Intense, exciting, absorbing, spicy. This is some extraordinary music where the composer's genius is in full evidence. In spite of the recording is in mono (great mono sound, actually), the playing does justice to the music. Just stupendous.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 03, 2022, 06:04:27 PM

Quintet for piano, violin, two violas and cello in D minor

Juon's specialty was the writing for chamber forces. No doubts why he is one of my favorite composers in that respect. The mastery of ideas and development displayed here shines efforlessly. The fact of including a second viola highlights the poetic element to the music. What a work. First-class stuff played splendidly. The Kammersinfonie on the same CD is in the same league.

Bloch: String Quartet No. 3

Intense, exciting, absorbing, spicy. This is some extraordinary music where the composer's genius is in full evidence. In spite of the recording is in mono (great mono sound, actually), the playing does justice to the music. Just stupendous.
That Bloch set is excellent. The first SQ is epic in scale - like a symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 03, 2022, 10:08:34 PM
That Bloch set is excellent. The first SQ is epic in scale - like a symphony.

Yes, a monumental work, Jeffrey, and the other quartets in that set are as good (or even better) as that one.

Noam Chomsky