Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 05, 2022, 09:28:57 AM
Oh yes, I have good memories of this one. Why there are no more recordings of these great ballets is beyond me.

Im(ns)ho they are on the same level as Tchaikovsky's ballets.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

Verdi: Aida

What can I say? A magnificent masterpiece of the highest order. Verdi at the height of his creative powers. The music is so inspired and splendorous! Easily my favorite thus far.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Holmboe: Symphonies nos. 11 and 12

The symphonies of Holmboe's that usually get the most mention are the middle-period ones, but these two late symphonies prove to be equally as absorbing and masterful (I haven't listened to the 13th yet). I was sort of expecting these symphonies to be rather "difficult" since they're late works, but in fact they're very accessible, rather more "mellow" in style than the middle-period symphonies but not lacking in power either. There's some really magical moments in these scores that feature the harp and celesta prominently, and they lack the occasional overload of percussion that can characterize some of the earlier symphonies.

Jozef Nowakowski (1800-65): Piano Quintet in E-flat major

Think of some the most attractive aspects of Schubert and Chopin and combine them, and you can get an idea of this truly lovely work. The secondary theme of the first movement, in particular, is just too beautiful to be believed! Andrei would enjoy this wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, not much else by Nowakowski survives, apparently.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 14, 2022, 08:08:36 PM
Holmboe: Symphonies nos. 11 and 12

The symphonies of Holmboe's that usually get the most mention are the middle-period ones, but these two late symphonies prove to be equally as absorbing and masterful (I haven't listened to the 13th yet). I was sort of expecting these symphonies to be rather "difficult" since they're late works, but in fact they're very accessible, rather more "mellow" in style than the middle-period symphonies but not lacking in power either. There's some really magical moments in these scores that feature the harp and celesta prominently, and they lack the occasional overload of percussion that can characterize some of the earlier symphonies.

Think of some the most attractive aspects of Schubert and Chopin and combine them, and you can get an idea of this truly lovely work. The secondary theme of the first movement, in particular, is just too beautiful to be believed! Andrei would enjoy this wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, not much else by Nowakowski survives, apparently.
I remember thinking very highly of Vagn Holmboe's 10th Symphony, which I owned on LP Kyle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on October 14, 2022, 08:08:36 PM

Thanks for the tip, Kyle, your description certainly piqued my interest.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

KevinP

More 'smitten with' than 'blown away by', but Milhaud's flute sonatine.

Not to poopoo his larger works, but I think he's really in his element with miniatures.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: KevinP on October 15, 2022, 02:22:14 AM
More 'smitten with' than 'blown away by', but Milhaud's flute sonatine.

Not to poopoo his larger works, but I think he's really in his element with miniatures.

I concur with you, and the Chamber Symphonies are other solid proofs of it. Delightful pieces.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

KevinP

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 03, 2022, 11:31:49 AM
Very busy by playing poll games on TalkClassical?  ;)

Anyway, I really hope things get better for you, Kyle!

Ah! You caught me red-handed! :D Thank you for the kind words, Cesar. I have been feeling better over the past few days! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2022, 01:02:03 PM
All strength to you Kyle - I hope that you feel better soon.

Thank you very much, Jeffrey. :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mapman on October 03, 2022, 03:46:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mental health. I hope it improves soon!

D'Indy is one of the composers I want to listen to (I have, but have not heard, Symphony on a French Mountain Air). If I like it, I'll also need to check out the clarinet trio!

Thank you very much! :) Oh, you must hear the Symphony on a French Mountain Air! Such a beautiful and tuneful work.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 15, 2022, 12:35:22 AM
I remember thinking very highly of Vagn Holmboe's 10th Symphony, which I owned on LP Kyle.

I recall thinking very highly of the 10th as well, though it's been years since I've heard it. In fact, I can't think of a single one of Holmboe's 13 symphonies that I don't enjoy! A remarkably consistent symphonist in my view.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2022, 05:37:11 AM
I recall thinking very highly of the 10th as well, though it's been years since I've heard it. In fact, I can't think of a single one of Holmboe's 13 symphonies that I don't enjoy! A remarkably consistent symphonist in my view.
I agree Kyle. I like them all, though especially Nos.4 (great introduction) 7,8 and 10. 8 was my first discovery on a fine Vox/Turnabout LP (never released on CD AFAIK). He sent a very sweet reply to my fan letter sent to him in very old age.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Why these gems are virtually unknown is a mystery to me. The F-minor is a delightful, passionate, yearning and hauntingly beautiful work. I rate it above all three of Schumann's efforts in the genre.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on October 19, 2022, 02:00:18 AM

Why these gems are virtually unknown is a mystery to me. The F-minor is a delightful, passionate, yearning and hauntingly beautiful work. I rate it above all three of Schumann's efforts in the genre.

But I think this is true of so much Mendelssohn - especially the chamber works all of which have some stunning music in them........

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 20, 2022, 02:29:25 AM
But I think this is true of so much Mendelssohn - especially the chamber works all of which have some stunning music in them........

Yes, I believe Mendelssohn's chamber music is better than Schumann's.

Pohjolas Daughter

Just listened to a live recording of Anna Thorvaldsdottir: METACOSMOS with Salonen and the San Francisco Symphony.  It's available to listen to (not certain for how much longer) on KDFC's website (October 4, 2022) here:  https://www.kdfc.com/radio/on-demand/san-francisco-symphony-on-demand/

I was wowed by it!  Anna Thorvaldsdottir is a contemporary Icelandic composer.  Hard to describe her sound world.  Here are some reviews here (from her website) to give you an idea.  https://www.annathorvalds.com/metacosmos/

The concert was paired with Also sprach Zarathustra and Sibelius' Four Legends from the Kalevala.  Listening right now to the Strauss work.

I really, really hope that they release a recording of this Metacosmos as I loved it.  I know that there is another recording of it on CD and I hope to hunt that down.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 20, 2022, 04:30:17 AM
Just listened to a live recording of Anna Thorvaldsdottir: METACOSMOS with Salonen and the San Francisco Symphony.  It's available to listen to (not certain for how much longer) on KDFC's website (October 4, 2022) here:  https://www.kdfc.com/radio/on-demand/san-francisco-symphony-on-demand/

I was wowed by it!  Anna Thorvaldsdottir is a contemporary Icelandic composer.  Hard to describe her sound world.  Here are some reviews here (from her website) to give you an idea.  https://www.annathorvalds.com/metacosmos/

The concert was paired with Also sprach Zarathustra and Sibelius' Four Legends from the Kalevala.  Listening right now to the Strauss work.

I really, really hope that they release a recording of this Metacosmos as I loved it.  I know that there is another recording of it on CD and I hope to hunt that down.

PD

I like her very much and if you get the opportunity to catch her music in concert, do check it out.  There is much more kinetic energy than you hear on recordings.  For example, the work I saw live featured two bass drums which in a recording would probably just blur to one.  Though she's not for everyone, not big on themes, it's mostly atmosphere but I definitely find her music mesmerizing. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on October 20, 2022, 05:28:47 AM
I like her very much and if you get the opportunity to catch her music in concert, do check it out.  There is much more kinetic energy than you hear on recordings.  For example, the work I saw live featured two bass drums which in a recording would probably just blur to one.  Though she's not for everyone, not big on themes, it's mostly atmosphere but I definitely find her music mesmerizing.
I was thinking earlier that "Dang!  I really wish that I could have been at that concert!"

By the way,  were you the one who had mentioned that you were going to a concert there last week and that it would be rebroadcast?  I suspect that it was the Wang concert with Bartok that you had mentioned?  If so, do you know what time of day they do the rebroadcasts?  I have the link and had set up a computer reminder on my calendar so know that it is sometime today, but I don't know when.  And couldn't find it on their website.

PD

p.s.  Started listening to another Icelandic composer's work:  Palsson and Quake, but will have to hold off on giving that a good listening 'til later.
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on October 20, 2022, 03:09:16 AM
Yes, I believe Mendelssohn's chamber music is better than Schumann's.

Personally, I couldn't live without either composer's chamber output. I think both composers composed some of their finest and most personal music in the medium of chamber music.