Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

George Lloyd Symphony No. 9, especially the grim slow movement.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 23, 2024, 11:59:02 PMGeorge Lloyd Symphony No. 9, especially the grim slow movement.
Yes, a very fine symphony with the slow movement being my favorite part. 

VonStupp

I haven't been able to tear myself away from von Weber's Flute Trio, since I heard it last week. As neither a regular listener of the Classical Era, nor chamber music, I have surprised myself here.

I've only heard the Kremerata, but will branch out after a while.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: VonStupp on April 24, 2024, 03:25:44 PMI haven't been able to tear myself away from von Weber's Flute Trio, since I heard it last week. As neither a regular listener of the Classical Era, nor chamber music, I have surprised myself here.

VS

Interesting. I don't remember this work well (in fact, I don't remember if I've ever listened to it).

BTW, do you know his Clarinet Quintet? Most people seem to listen to ones by Brahms and Mozart most of the time, but this is quite fun and inspired too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Kilar: Symphony No. 3 'September'

The tragic events of 2001 inspired Kilar to write this work, and what an ominous way to start out it has, one is automatically hooked. Kilar's minimalism works incredibly well, creating a strong sense of tension and mesmerizing effects (hear the relentless 2nd movement). The music has a sorrowful atmosphere in the movements 1 and 3 I found very effective; the 4th movement sounds like a hymn, although it didn't end happily, but in calm resignation. A special moment is near the ending of the 3rd movement where the music turns from doleful to a little more hopeful and consoling.

I have liked most of his works and this poignant symphony ranks very high for me.

In addition, these three works didn't necessarily blow me away, but I did find them pretty impressive:

Robert Still: Symphonies 3 and 4
Jurgis Karnavičius: String Quartet No. 4

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: VonStupp on April 24, 2024, 03:25:44 PMI haven't been able to tear myself away from von Weber's Flute Trio, since I heard it last week. As neither a regular listener of the Classical Era, nor chamber music, I have surprised myself here.

VS

The Gaudier Ensemble is excellent. And as a bonus, they have the clarinet quintet rightly praised above by Cesar.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 25, 2024, 03:28:15 PMKilar: Symphony No. 3 'September'

The tragic events of 2001 inspired Kilar to write this work, and what an ominous way to start out it has, one is automatically hooked. Kilar's minimalism works incredibly well, creating a strong sense of tension and mesmerizing effects (hear the relentless 2nd movement). The music has a sorrowful atmosphere in the movements 1 and 3 I found very effective; the 4th movement sounds like a hymn, although it didn't end happily, but in calm resignation. A special moment is near the ending of the 3rd movement where the music turns from doleful to a little more hopeful and consoling.

I have liked most of his works and this poignant symphony ranks very high for me.

Great cover art too.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 24, 2024, 05:27:30 PMInteresting. I don't remember this work well (in fact, I don't remember if I've ever listened to it).

BTW, do you know his Clarinet Quintet? Most people seem to listen to ones by Brahms and Mozart most of the time, but this is quite fun and inspired too.
The Weber quintet probably still beats Reger for the 3rd most famous clarinet quintet. I think it is by far his best chamber piece and probably better than his clarinet concertos/concert pieces as well. While it is more concertante than Mozart and Brahms, it's not merely an ersatz concerto.
That flute trio might deserve to be better known but it's a comparably minor piece, I think. Sometimes coupled with Schubert's flute variations on "Trockne Blumen" (that is also worth checking out if one likes the flute).

Nevertheless, Weber whose best work was in opera, was still at least as good as the likes of Hummel in his best chamber, concertante and orchestral pieces.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Jo498 on April 26, 2024, 12:06:15 AMNevertheless, Weber whose best work was in opera, was still at least as good as the likes of Hummel in his best chamber, concertante and orchestral pieces.

The only Weber opera I've listened to so far is Der Freischütz and I instantly loved it. I should explore the others.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 24, 2024, 05:27:30 PMInteresting. I don't remember this work well (in fact, I don't remember if I've ever listened to it).

It is probably a matter of the right music catching me at the right moment. What I really need to do is give those composers who straddle the Classical and Romantic Eras a better, or more regular, listening to.

I just listened to the New Helsinki Quartet in Weber's Quintet a few weeks past. I have also given it a few extra listens, and have enjoyed my time with it.

Quote from: Jo498 on April 26, 2024, 12:06:15 AMThat flute trio might deserve to be better known but it's a comparably minor piece, I think. Sometimes coupled with Schubert's flute variations on "Trockne Blumen" (that is also worth checking out if one likes the flute).

Nevertheless, Weber whose best work was in opera, was still at least as good as the likes of Hummel in his best chamber, concertante and orchestral pieces.

Minor perhaps, but major for my synapses. Something about the flute and cello together make it really work for me.

I will check out those variations, though. Can't say I have a particular allegiance to flute, but I am not averse either.

Quote from: Florestan on April 25, 2024, 11:29:22 PMThe Gaudier Ensemble is excellent. And as a bonus, they have the clarinet quintet rightly praised above by Cesar.

I will give the Gaudier a looking into; perhaps a sneak peek on the YouTubes.

Thanks All!
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 25, 2024, 03:28:15 PMKilar: Symphony No. 3 'September'

In addition, these three works didn't necessarily blow me away, but I did find them pretty impressive:

Robert Still: Symphonies 3 and 4
Jurgis Karnavičius: String Quartet No. 4

Agreed here on all counts. The Kilar 3, in particular, is outstanding 👌
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Florestan

Both performance-wise and sonic-wise this series is excellent. I can't get enough of it.

Toni Bernet

I wonder if there are any other music lovers besides me who enjoy Andreas Romberg's violin concertos? The recording with the sensationally exciting violinist Chouchane Siranossian in particular could inspire many a friend of classical music with enthusiasm for this forgotten composer of North German classical music.
For more on Andreas Romberg's Violin Concerto in G minor, see also:
https://unbekannte-violinkonzerte.jimdofree.com/klassik/romberg/