2 (3.9%)
Norgard
0 (0%)
Someone else
26 (51%)

Total Members Voted: 46

schnittkease

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2018, 06:38:42 AM
Just got suckered into listening to Radulescu 5 because Naxos Music Library said it was only 5:20 in length and I was like "Cool! That fits right in with amw's comment about how he breaks the mold of the traditional quartet!" And then like 12 minutes later I was like "hey wait a minute"

Ha!

amw

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2018, 06:38:42 AM
Just got suckered into listening to Radulescu 5 because Naxos Music Library said it was only 5:20 in length and I was like "Cool! That fits right in with amw's comment about how he breaks the mold of the traditional quartet!" And then like 12 minutes later I was like "hey wait a minute"
Oops :p I'm glad you made it at least 12 minutes in though. Rădulescu is not always physically easy to listen to, regardless of how impressed I am that he basically rebuilt string technique from the ground up or whatever.

Mandryka

I think Radulescu 4 is very impressive, one of those pieces which gave me the impression of being an original and courageous piece of poetry even on first listening.

It's quite a thing to do, to give pieces of music the sort of titles he likes, one day I'll read Lao-Tzu and try to see what's going on.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

shirime

Ferneyhough seems like the obvious choice for 'someone else' but I also voted for that option for Lachenmann.

Skogwald

I know both of them composed some of the quartets before 1950, but I would just like to mention the excellent Bacewicz and Maconchy!

I also especially enjoy cycles by Schnittke, Nørgård and Simpson alongside single works by Xenakis, Ligeti and Lutoslawski.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Skogwald on February 15, 2023, 09:14:09 AMI know both of them composed some of the quartets before 1950, but I would just like to mention the excellent Bacewicz and Maconchy!

I also especially enjoy cycles by Schnittke, Nørgård and Simpson alongside single works by Xenakis, Ligeti and Lutoslawski.

I just placed an order for the Bacewicz complete string quartets after sampling the Silesian Quartet recordings.

Todd

I originally voted for Schnittke, but that was before I had heard Krzysztof Meyer's quartets.  Now he's the easy first choice.  He very nearly joins the Holy Tetrarchy in this repertoire. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

I didn't see a mention of David Diamond.  7 of his quartets were written after 1950.  The whole cycle has been recorded by the Potomac Quartet.

JBS

11 of Shostakovich's 15 quartets and 18 of Holmboe's 21 numbered quartets were written after 1950.

Of the options originally listed in the poll, I would pick Carter.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

My vote is for Schnittke.  But I will admit that the only chamber work I've heard of Simpson is his clarinet quintet.

GioCar

The new erato

Hilding Rosenberg wrote 13 great quartet works, all after 1950. And Meyers quartets are superb.