That Darn Cat Thread

Started by snyprrr, September 20, 2016, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on November 04, 2021, 01:06:46 PM
A little late; but...

Oh, thank you!  That made me laugh out loud!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

geralmar

LKB

Quote from: mabuse on November 06, 2021, 08:21:24 PM

Dammit, how'd you plant that camera in my den...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

geralmar

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on December 01, 2021, 11:06:56 PM

:laugh:  ;D

But, in reality, you know what would happen if/when kitty tries to jump up and into one of the higher boxes and it all comes tumbling down....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

geralmar

Found this twitter post:

"Dog people always act like dogs are so much better than cats; but as a cat person I just want to say you never see cats working with the cops."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on September 15, 2022, 09:53:49 PM

"Mudball"

She's actually as evil as she looks.  Adopted from a shelter five years ago.  She is a bully, terrorizes a sweet tempered, smaller cat we (wife and I). took in from an elderly gentleman about to move in with his kids a couple years ago.  I've watched her stalk the smaller cat, who now refuses to come downstairs.  She actually tries to sneak past us to get upstairs.  She also displays her incorrigibility by refusing to use litter box right in front of us.  She was adopted with our third cat who is twice her size and has learned to ignore her.  My wife is open in her dislike of Mudball; but while Mudball definitely isn't our favorite cat, she is still part of the family and almost desperate in begging our affection-- always jumping in our laps even if it means pushing her "sister" cat off.  Really, though, what are we supposed to do?  As I said:  part of the family.
Have you tried things like trying to get them to play together?  Like using a wand toy and playing with them for some time?  I haven't been in the same situation as you, but have sometimes watched some of those older Jackson Galaxy shows ("My Cat from Hell").  He deals with various problem cats and different situations (including some who attack one of the owners!).  You might pick up some ideas?  I feel for the smaller cat.   :(  And/or talk to your vet for suggestions?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

vandermolen

Quote from: Szykneij on September 17, 2022, 04:40:37 PM
How true! We've just purchased an expensive roll of material to cover the shredded section of our sofa.
Mudball does look quite evil I must say. When I was young my family had two female cats. One was very stroppy and the other one (found in a bin on November 5th - Guy Fawkes Night) was v timid. If we weren't looking the larger cat would shove the smaller one off her food at mealtime - very bad. It was amazing that the small one (Penny) lived to be an old cat without apparently consuming any food!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on September 17, 2022, 04:40:37 PM
Love it!  ;D

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2022, 02:21:06 AM
How true! We've just purchased an expensive roll of material to cover the shredded section of our sofa.
Mudball does look quite evil I must say. When I was young my family had two female cats. One was very stroppy and the other one (found in a bin on November 5th - Guy Fawkes Night) was v timid. If we weren't looking the larger cat would shove the smaller one off her food at mealtime - very bad. It was amazing that the small one (Penny) lived to be an old cat without apparently consuming any food!
Ouch!  Do you have any sort of "official" scratching devices?  Like a cat tree with some roping wrapped around the main column for scratching or any sort of cardboard scratching posts?  Those help a lot.  As I'm sure that you know, scratching is a natural part of a cat's life.

https://allaboutcats.com/why-do-cats-scratch

And, yes,  animal shelters often describe cats as needing to be the only kitty in a home.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 18, 2022, 04:49:11 AM
Love it!  ;D
Ouch!  Do you have any sort of "official" scratching devices?  Like a cat tree with some roping wrapped around the main column for scratching or any sort of cardboard scratching posts?  Those help a lot.  As I'm sure that you know, scratching is a natural part of a cat's life.

https://allaboutcats.com/why-do-cats-scratch

And, yes,  animal shelters often describe cats as needing to be the only kitty in a home.

PD
Thanks PD, we've tried numerous things, but the sofa is always the preferred scratching post.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2022, 05:27:05 AM
Thanks PD, we've tried numerous things, but the sofa is always the preferred scratching post.
It's not easy, I must admit.  I've had my own struggles in the past.   :(  Do you spend a lot of time on the couch?  I wonder if it might be more of a territorial/marking thing?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

While it's certainly an admirable act to adopt any animal from a rescue shelter, l must say l would never accept such a dog or cat ( possibly a bird at the most ) for a pet. The unfortunate fact is that they can be dangerous, as a family member discovered some years ago.

If l owned Mudball and discovered her behaving as described, I'd start looking for someone without another cat ( or any other potential target ) to take her. Just my opinion.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 18, 2022, 05:36:26 AM
It's not easy, I must admit.  I've had my own struggles in the past.   :(  Do you spend a lot of time on the couch?  I wonder if it might be more of a territorial/marking thing?

PD

No - if I sit on the couch, I am invariably given a domestic chore. ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 18, 2022, 07:33:21 AM
While it's certainly an admirable act to adopt any animal from a rescue shelter, l must say l would never accept such a dog or cat ( possibly a bird at the most ) for a pet. The unfortunate fact is that they can be dangerous, as a family member discovered some years ago.

If l owned Mudball and discovered her behaving as described, I'd start looking for someone without another cat ( or any other potential target ) to take her. Just my opinion.
I've seen or heard of instances in which a cat behaviorist helps; that's why I made the suggestions that I did.  Some of those cats that, for instance, Jackson Galaxy has worked with--more like working with the owners--were viciously attacking either another cat in the household or one of the owners.  Amazing to see the difference!

PD
Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2022, 07:41:08 AM
No - if I sit on the couch, I am invariably given a domestic chore. ::)
:laugh:  No rest for the wicked weary.  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 18, 2022, 08:12:37 AM
I've seen or heard of instances in which a cat behaviorist helps; that's why I made the suggestions that I did.  Some of those cats that, for instance, Jackson Galaxy has worked with--more like working with the owners--were viciously attacking either another cat in the household or one of the owners.  Amazing to see the difference!

PD :laugh:  No rest for the wicked weary.  ;)
:)

vandermolen