That Darn Cat Thread

Started by snyprrr, September 20, 2016, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2017, 03:30:58 AM
I went to see my neighbour the other day. Whilst I was talking to her I looked at the window and outside was our cat looking at me in a very accusatory way which said 'what on earth are you doing in there?' This happened with previous cats as well. I think that this one recognises my car engine noise as even if I park the car right down the other end of the road he is invariably waiting for me.

Oh sure, dogs also know the sound of different car engines.
The new cat not only figured out how to slide the screen of the bathroom window to get in but to shove it aside while he works on the window if it is shut. Maybe he was a house breaker in a previous life...
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

vandermolen

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on September 30, 2017, 04:54:34 AM
Oh sure, dogs also know the sound of different car engines.
The new cat not only figured out how to slide the screen of the bathroom window to get in but to shove it aside while he works on the window if it is shut. Maybe he was a house breaker in a previous life...
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

:'( :'( :'(

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... new cat just brought in door......

"Heeeeathcliff!!!!!!"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hysteria followed...

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: snyprrr on October 08, 2017, 09:25:44 AM
new cat just brought in door...
"Heeeeathcliff!!!!!!"
hysteria followed...

Our cats just get in the family way. Feeding them all is becoming expensive, not to mention having to take some of them to the vet when they get ill...
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

zamyrabyrd

KteePsee (picture shown on left two years ago when she was a kitten) did not exactly roll out the welcome mat for Puss, an adopted cat from my piano students. They couldn't take care of him anymore nor deal with his eye infection which precipitated our taking him to the vet and paying for his operation three months ago.

KP didn't bother with him too much but now swipes at him whenever she can. They were at it two nights ago and after such an incident Puss was not his normal self, rather growling and miserable. His nice purr, very musical simply stopped. I thought he may have been a little sick to begin with, seems he spit up some food on the grass outside three days ago. Now he won't eat at all, or very little, just a bit of water.

There have been viruses going around decimating the kitten population but at 5 months he should be immune by now. This is the 2nd day he has been in the house, curled up in a ball on the sofa, getting extra care and attention.  But still he won't snap out of it. He doesn't seem to have a fever and is not running to the toilet but changes his position or place of rest occasionally. 

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with traumatized cats. The snubbing and attack by the other cat may not be the reason for his funk. I'm reading up online about cat psychology...

Karl Henning

Wow.  I don't know.  Good luck, zb!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 31, 2017, 04:13:52 AM
Wow.  I don't know.  Good luck, zb!

KP is a mistress of blackmail. She jumps on he kitchen cabinet threatening to break something if I don't pull out something to eat from the fridge. I was reading now, however, some cats do recognize and dote on the heightened attention they get when being sick. One feline I just read about, even pretended to limp when his injured foot was OK just to get that extra stroking from those silly humans.

zamyrabyrd

We just got back from the vet. Puss did have a fever, a rather high one. He was screaming and clawing while getting antibiotic and fluid replacement shots. Now he is back to his quiet self, somewhat in shock. He has to go back to the clinic because his eye really didn't heal well from the operation two months ago. Probably it has been source of the current trouble. A waiting room at a veterinarian clinic is always interesting for the people and animals one meets.

Karl Henning

Well, you've had an adventure today!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 31, 2017, 10:10:42 AM
Well, you've had an adventure today!

More like a lesson learned: save time and effort by consulting with an authority on the subject...

drogulus

This schizo-cat is pretty OK. Without objection it will be entered into the record.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Right now I'm DL'ing the movie Kedi, about the cats of Istanbul. It's OK, they hate terrorism.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Don't stay away from your cat too long.

https://www.youtube.com/v/QjeNh2lLXDU

listener

Nice movie for your attention  (all-zone player needed)
CATS DON'T COME WHEN YOU CALL
[asin]B01M5I5864[asin]
https://www.amazon.com/Region-English-Subtitled-Japanese-Yondemo/dp/B01M5I5864
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

vandermolen

Quote from: geralmar on September 13, 2018, 06:56:21 PM

Love the bouncing wine glass cartoon. Our cat does the same thing with eggs  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

These schizo cats are completely out of control.

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: geralmar on March 08, 2020, 09:26:17 PM

Nice. Out cat eats my porridge if I leave the bowl unattended for a moment.

vers la flamme

Our cats are not adventurous enough to actually eat my food, but they sure like to mess with it. Recently I had bought a Tiramisu, set it on the table and one of our cats stomped on it and then knocked it over, totally ruining it  ::) we love them though...

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 09, 2020, 02:46:41 AM
Our cats are not adventurous enough to actually eat my food, but they sure like to mess with it. Recently I had bought a Tiramisu, set it on the table and one of our cats stomped on it and then knocked it over, totally ruining it  ::) we love them though...
We had to move where we keep eggs as our cat rolls them individually off the table and on to the floor creating an appalling mess. I once heard him slurping from my glass of beer. He's incredibly greedy - but we love him too!