That Darn Cat Thread

Started by snyprrr, September 20, 2016, 07:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 09, 2020, 02:52:36 AM
We had to move where we keep eggs as our cat rolls them individually off the table and on to the floor creating an appalling mess. I once heard him slurping from my glass of beer. He's incredibly greedy - but we love him too!
Are you lucky enough to have farm fresh eggs (chickens of your own or neighbors?)?  I store my store-bought eggs in the fridge.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Sometimes I buy them from the farm run by the kids (children not young goats) at the school where I work. We've been told that the eggs should not be stored in the fridge. Now we have a ceramic hen that we store them in.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 10, 2020, 05:38:25 AM
Sometimes I buy them from the farm run by the kids (children not young goats) at the school where I work. We've been told that the eggs should not be stored in the fridge. Now we have a ceramic hen that we store them in.
Are you sure that the animals are not the ones running the show there?   :-\  :D

I had a cat that liked to chew on artwork!   :'(  And on my books...various cats in the past did that; they liked to sink their teeth into the corners of hard cover books of mine (if I left them within their reach).... :(
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 11, 2020, 12:47:05 PM
Are you sure that the animals are not the ones running the show there?   :-\  :D

I had a cat that liked to chew on artwork!   :'(  And on my books...various cats in the past did that; they liked to sink their teeth into the corners of hard cover books of mine (if I left them within their reach).... :(
You're probably right. The eggs are sold at £1.00 for six which is amazingly good value. The cat has not yet worked out how to remove the lid of the ceramic hen to get at the eggs or manoeuvre it onto the floor so that it smashes to smithereens. Our cat destroys the sofas as well as smashing eggs. It is a bit of an issue here. I have to take him to the vets regularly to have his claws clipped.

'No time spent with a cat is ever wasted'
French author, Colette.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2020, 01:27:31 PM
You're probably right. The eggs are sold at £1.00 for six which is amazingly good value. The cat has not yet worked out how to remove the lid of the ceramic hen to get at the eggs or manoeuvre it onto the floor so that it smashes to smithereens. Our cat destroys the sofas as well as smashing eggs. It is a bit of an issue here. I have to take him to the vets regularly to have his claws clipped.

'No time spent with a cat is ever wasted'
French author, Colette.
I have a chaise (covered with a nubby-kind of fabric which is particularly cat-attractive) which has seen much better days; that's withhaving one large cat tree which has a rope-wrapped main column good for scratching and stretching.  The sofa has been climbed on/laid on over the years but is covered in a kind of cotton velvet(??) [no real pile] and hardly shows any claw marks.

Have you ever tried to get your cats used to you trimming their claws?  I've found (with the fussiest of the ones) that if you get them when they're sleepy/relaxed and at worst, do it a few claws at a time that you can do it at home.  I did also see a clever (and cute) video of two techs getting a kitten used to (and enjoying--or at least not noticing) having his claws trimmed.  One was holding the kitten on her lap and trimming the claws; the other was feeding the kitten little bits of canned tuna!   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 12, 2020, 03:58:29 AM
I have a chaise (covered with a nubby-kind of fabric which is particularly cat-attractive) which has seen much better days; that's withhaving one large cat tree which has a rope-wrapped main column good for scratching and stretching.  The sofa has been climbed on/laid on over the years but is covered in a kind of cotton velvet(??) [no real pile] and hardly shows any claw marks.

Have you ever tried to get your cats used to you trimming their claws?  I've found (with the fussiest of the ones) that if you get them when they're sleepy/relaxed and at worst, do it a few claws at a time that you can do it at home.  I did also see a clever (and cute) video of two techs getting a kitten used to (and enjoying--or at least not noticing) having his claws trimmed.  One was holding the kitten on her lap and trimming the claws; the other was feeding the kitten little bits of canned tuna!   ;D

PD

If I try to do it all Hell breaks loose but he is as good as gold with the veterinary nurse.

vandermolen

Quote from: geralmar on March 15, 2020, 11:10:52 PM
Listening to my stereo is often a chore:

My guess is that he/she is listening to Shostakovich in the top photo  and Debussy's piano music in the lower one.
;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 15, 2020, 11:42:56 PM
My guess is that he/she is listening to Shostakovich in the top photo  and Debussy's piano music in the lower one.
;D
:laugh:

And, oh the joys of dusting and cleaning up cat hair/dander!   ;)  That said, wish that I had one or two of them now.   :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

That's a very bizarre photo!  Where did you find that?
Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

Actually a politics website.

geralmar

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Jeffrey's cat at the start of class?....

Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

Cat at veterinarian's office learns she's pregnant:

geralmar

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on July 07, 2020, 07:10:56 PM

Cute!  Nice kitty setup!  Isn't it amazing, though, after all of the trouble, expense and fuss that we go through to make out cats comfy and happy, that it's the simplest and cheapest things that they like....like boxes, paper bags, a crumpled up ball of paper....and one of the finest things in life, the red plastic sealing ring which you need to peel off of a milk/juice bottle (tried to find a photo of it) in order to open said bottle.  That and a plastic diet cola bottle cap. 

And life's good!

PD

Pohjolas Daughter