Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688 - 1758)

Started by jlaurson, September 21, 2016, 09:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Fasch had no thread? Shame on us. Here it is [...] to discuss the work and life of this wonderful post-Bach baroque composer. To get things started, a review of two recent Fasch-recordings.

latest on Forbes:

Classical CD Of The Week: Fasch, A Classical Misunderstanding

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/09/19/emmanuelle-haim-can-handel-the-vienna-philharmonic/#7a9ac3e11d2e

...Johann Friedrich Fasch was in line for a major renaissance in the early 20th century, when enthusiasts worldwide worked toward a better appreciation of his genius. Unfortunately, history steamrolled over the First International Union of Faschists*.

San Antone

Interesting guy ...

QuoteHis works include cantatas, concertos, symphonies, and chamber music. None of his music was published in his lifetime, and according to The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians in 2014, "it appears that most of his vocal works (including 9 complete cantata cycles, at least 14 masses and four operas) are lost, while the instrumental works are mostly extant."

However, his music was "widely performed" in his day and was held in high regard by contemporaries. Georg Philipp Telemann performed a cycle of his church cantatas in 1733 in Hamburg; an organ work once attributed to Johann Sebastian Bach as BWV 585 is now known to be an arrangement of movements from a Fasch trio sonata; and Bach's Collegium Musicum in Leipzig (a different group than the one founded by Fasch) performed some of Fasch's Orchestral Suites (ten of them, according to Hugo Reimann in 1900, based on his examination of copies in the library of the St. Thomas School, which Reimann said were partly in Bach's hand. Only one of these suites survived World War II; it is in the hand of Bach's student Carl Gotthelf Gerlach).

In 1900, Reimann asserted that Fasch's style was an important link between the Baroque and Classical periods, and that he was one of those who "set instrumental music entirely on its feet and displaced fugal writing with modern 'thematic' style'"; a New Grove's entry on Fasch states, "Later research has largely confirmed [Reimann's] assessment."

The only recordings I've heard are these:

Which were pleasant enough.  Probably time to revisit those two and find more to listen to. 

;)

Scion7

I had seen so many posts on his stuff, I assumed he had one.
Good composer - like his music.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

The new erato

This is an all-time favorite, cannot recommend it highly enough:

[asin]B0002O37WC[/asin]

jlaurson

Quote from: The new erato on September 21, 2016, 11:31:47 PM

Thanks for the tip! It's right on the wish-list.

North Star

Well it says in the OP that it was edited by Que. I don't know if humorlessness was the reason so much as making the thread forum search engine-friendly in the long run.

I don't know Fasch's music, but the Dombrecht disc does look good. Also available in this budget reissue set:

[asin]B00I6522W0[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

Quote from: jlaurson on September 21, 2016, 09:43:46 AM
Fasch had no thread? Shame on us. Here it is [...] to discuss the work and life of this wonderful post-Bach baroque composer. To get things started, a review of two recent Fasch-recordings.

latest on Forbes:

Classical CD Of The Week: Fasch, A Classical Misunderstanding

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/09/19/emmanuelle-haim-can-handel-the-vienna-philharmonic/#7a9ac3e11d2e

...Johann Friedrich Fasch was in line for a major renaissance in the early 20th century, when enthusiasts worldwide worked toward a better appreciation of his genius. Unfortunately, history steamrolled over the First International Union of Faschists*.

Unfortunately I cannot read your article because Forbes insists I disable my ad blocking software before it will allow me to view the page.

::)

jlaurson

Quote from: sanantonio on September 22, 2016, 03:57:31 AM
Unfortunately I cannot read your article because Forbes insists I disable my ad blocking software before it will allow me to view the page.

::)

Really? Forbes.com does have issues, I'll be the first one to admit. But I use an ad blocker in Firefox - and that gets me in just fine.

San Antone

Same on Firefox - but I guess if I had FB or Google+ I could sign in.   Sorry.

knight66

This thread has been edited. It is not acceptable to publish PM material onto the public areas of the site without the agreement of those involved. Such instances will, as in this instance, be deleted or edited and a formal warning issued.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

71 dB

Fasch was an awesome "modernist" of his day. A contemporary of J. S. Bach, his music is quite different and "fresh".

I enjoy this composer a lot and I have some 10 CDs of music by him. CPO has been great releasing Fasch. My favorite Fasch CD is perhaps this:

[asin]B00000130L[/asin]

I find Fasch's music for Chalumeau especially interesting and enjoyable. His style suites so well for an instrument with that kind of sound.

Naxos has put out one Fasch disc and I can recommend it. I enjoy it a lot:

[asin]B000ZJVI5M[/asin]

Anyone who likes German baroque music should not overlook this master.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: The new erato on September 21, 2016, 11:31:47 PM

[asin]B0002O37WC[/asin]

Thanks for the tip! I have been considering that disc.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Gurn Blanston

Looking through my rather modest Fasch collection, and other than the odd work here and there in a collection, I have only this one disk, but it is a very good one, so may have me hunting down another or two.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)