Crudblud's Craptacular C(r)ompositions

Started by Crudblud, September 30, 2016, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crudblud

In which I peddle my musical wares. Is it classical music? Eh... I would say no, but I know most people disagree with me and see it as being generally in line with contemporary classical music, so what the hell do I know?

In brief, I've been making music with computers (but don't let that put you off) since I was about 11 or 12, I forget the exact date but it was somewhere around 2001. In 2007 I started to take it a little more seriously and began making albums and so forth, mostly couched in progressive rock type stylings and mostly not very good. In 2012 I accidentally bumped into the style which my friends from elsewhere will probably know me for, and I've been farming that land ever since.

If you'd like to check it out, there's a bunch of ways to stream including SoundCloud, bandcamp, and a YouTube channel which I started fairly recently. If you decide you'd like to have some of this stuff hanging around, tainting your hard drives for all eternity, around 70-80% of everything I have ever released for public consumption is available to download for free here, and most of these releases include liner notes the contents of which range from nonsense and jokes to almost well-written essays — sometimes all three.

That about wraps it up. If you listen to any of it, I hope you enjoy it, but feel free to write me an angry letter if you think it sucks. Personally I'd recommend checking out the selection on my YouTube channel first, it features most of my best work.

Edit: Thread title changed because I felt like it. I assure you I'm still that most Cazazza of Dans, Cazoozer Don.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quite a fan of your work! Will be checking more of it out shortly. Keep us up to date with your new pieces! They are quirky and mostly good

Karl Henning

If I think it sucks, I may write, but probably not an angry letter.

8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Thank you, Karl, and jessop too.

Crudblud

Alright folks, new music time!

Portal Preludes is a set of six little pieces for English horn, bassoon, cimbasso, trombone, alto flute, clarinet, and bass saxophone.

You can download it in mp3 or FLAC (or both, if you're weird, I guess), or if streaming's more your thing, it's currently up on YouTube and Bandcamp.

Hope you dig it!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2016, 07:15:56 AM
What's a cimbasso?
It's a brass instrument sort of somewhere between a trombone and a tuba, quite popular in Italian opera orchestration in the 19th century. These days I think it's mostly used in film scores. Of course, what I'm using isn't really a cimbasso but a sampled cimbasso, so the physical facts of the source instrument aren't quite so relevant.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Crudblud on October 22, 2016, 07:38:48 AM
It's a brass instrument sort of somewhere between a trombone and a tuba, quite popular in Italian opera orchestration in the 19th century. These days I think it's mostly used in film scores. Of course, what I'm using isn't really a cimbasso but a sampled cimbasso, so the physical facts of the source instrument aren't quite so relevant.

Interesting, thanks!  What would you say the difference in timbre is, as distinct from either the trombone or tuba?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2016, 07:45:16 AM
Interesting, thanks!  What would you say the difference in timbre is, as distinct from either the trombone or tuba?

I'll preface this by saying that my experience with each of these instruments does not extend beyond using various sampled versions, that's generally something worth bearing in mind for anyone who wants to ask me questions about this kind of stuff.

I would characterise the cimbasso (this being the Chris Hein Horns Vol. 4 sampled version) generally as having a softer, warmer tone than a trombone, but not as dull as a tuba. However, its timbral range is quite broad, and it can just as easily tackle soft lyrical passages as caricature-Wagnerian heavy brass booms. In an arrangement I made of the first scherzo from Mahler's 10th symphony, I was able to use it rather effectively in combination with a bassoon — in the low to middle registers their tones blend together very smoothly, to the point that I could almost seamlessly pass melodic lines from one to the other, though this became less viable in their upper ranges — and I think in some ways you could say it is the brass equivalent of a bassoon. Its versatility is one of the main reasons I've used it so often over the past few years.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The chords starting at 07:15, in particular, are exquisite!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Crudblud

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2016, 10:35:58 AM
The chords starting at 07:15, in particular, are exquisite!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Crudblud

New piece coming on the 20th, fans (pff) mark your calendars!

Mahlerian

Quote from: Crudblud on December 17, 2016, 08:41:18 AM
New piece coming on the 20th, fans (pff) mark your calendars!

Looking forward to it!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Crudblud

Alright folks, look forward no more, because if you do you'll miss this.

This is Fat Trout Neighbour, a supercharged scintillating stupefying and satisfying sampling of supple sounds... or something. It's got violas, bass clarinets, cimbassos (yes, it's back!), trombones, clavinets, wurlitzers, ondeses martenoteses — all your favourites! It'll cure your baldness, and if you ain't bald, why, it'll give you even more hair! So don't delay, pick up your copy today! (Fat Trout Neighbour is non-refundable. Crudblud is not liable for any incidents involving spontaneous combustion arising from the use of this product.)

download mp3
download FLAC

stream YouTube
stream soundcloud
stream bandcamp

P.S.: Let me know how I'm doing with my shtick.

Mahlerian

That electric piano makes parts of it sound like some forgotten free jazz thing from the 70s...done up in your inimitable style.  Crazy and wild and just a bit sentimental.  I enjoyed it a lot (and the electric piano too)!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Crudblud

Quote from: Mahlerian on December 19, 2016, 08:51:23 PM
That electric piano makes parts of it sound like some forgotten free jazz thing from the 70s...done up in your inimitable style.  Crazy and wild and just a bit sentimental.  I enjoyed it a lot (and the electric piano too)!

Thank you!

Some parts do have the effect of free jazz, but I couldn't really tell you how all of what's in there got there. I mean, obviously I put it there, but I can't recall the last time I felt so strongly that I didn't know what I was doing.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Happy birthday, I think? I'll listen to some more of your music  8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Crudblud on December 19, 2016, 08:02:18 PM
Alright folks, look forward no more, because if you do you'll miss this.

This is Fat Trout Neighbour, a supercharged scintillating stupefying and satisfying sampling of supple sounds... or something. It's got violas, bass clarinets, cimbassos (yes, it's back!), trombones, clavinets, wurlitzers, ondeses martenoteses — all your favourites! It'll cure your baldness, and if you ain't bald, why, it'll give you even more hair! So don't delay, pick up your copy today! (Fat Trout Neighbour is non-refundable. Crudblud is not liable for any incidents involving spontaneous combustion arising from the use of this product.)

download mp3
download FLAC

stream YouTube
stream soundcloud
stream bandcamp

P.S.: Let me know how I'm doing with my shtick.

I love it just the way it is . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA