Louis Couperin

Started by Mandryka, October 05, 2016, 09:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

My initial impression is that this is a very well balanced and level headed recording, that's to say  it strikes a good balance between lyricism and a more turbulent style. The LH interrupts the melody in the right, as it were, but not so much as to break the melody up, just enough to give the music some relief, to prevent flatness. I like it. And of course it sounds very good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2018, 12:56:45 PM

My initial impression is that this is a very well balanced and level headed recording, that's to say  it strikes a good balance between lyricism and a more turbulent style. The LH interrupts the melody in the right, as it were, but not so much as to break the melody up, just enough to give the music some relief, to prevent flatness. I like it. And of course it sounds very good.

I have listened to some samples and I liked what I have heard and indeed a very refined recording.Still waiting however for vol.4 with Bob van Asperen.

Mandryka

https://youtube.com/v/NaV6Y40oB7E

This is Blandine Verlet's 1972 recording on a Hemsch, as far as I know it's never been off LP. Eloquent, urgent, surprising, light, radical, dazzling. Above she communicates superbly her love for the music. 

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on November 07, 2018, 09:44:54 PM

This is Blandine Verlet's 1972 recording on a Hemsch, as far as I know it's never been off LP. Eloquent, urgent, surprising, light, radical, dazzling. Above she communicates superbly her love for the music.

Brilliant playing, perhaps recorded a little too closely which may be due to the YouTube transfer. I have Zuzana Ruzickova's recording of these forever inventive pieces.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on November 07, 2018, 09:44:54 PM

I wonder if these are the same ones streaming on Amazon. There's an edition there released 1990

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on November 08, 2018, 12:22:22 AM
I wonder if these are the same ones streaming on Amazon. There's an edition there released 1990

No, they are different and IMO this one from 1972 is better

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on November 08, 2018, 01:00:33 AM
No, they are different and IMO this one from 1972 is better
Ah!

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on November 07, 2018, 11:45:12 PM
Brilliant playing, perhaps recorded a little too closely which may be due to the YouTube transfer. I have Zuzana Ruzickova's recording of these forever inventive pieces.

I didn't know Ruzikova recorded Louis Couperin.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 08, 2018, 01:10:53 PM
I didn't know Ruzikova recorded Louis Couperin.

I would become very surprised if she did.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

Ruzickova probably did a Francois Couperin recital. This this maybe the only forum where Louis seems to be discussed more frequently than Francois le Grand, so the confusion is somewhat understandable.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on November 08, 2018, 11:22:06 PM
Ruzickova probably did a Francois Couperin recital. This this maybe the only forum where Louis seems to be discussed more frequently than Francois le Grand, so the confusion is somewhat understandable.

Meaning François le grand no discourtesy, this sort of re-emphasis is one of many things I love about GMG.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

Booth must have come up recently in this thread? This is an interesting recording. The instrument is recorded very up-close and dry with crisp sound. Unlike Sempe, Booth is not presenting a wild, passionate, Louis but a mournful one. I think Booth understands French music well. Next, I want to go back to Van Asperen's L. Couperin to listen more closely. I like Booth even though he's not my first choice. 

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on February 15, 2019, 09:18:03 PM

Yes I know, it's Couperin on piano. (And I still have mixed feelings about the Kolesnikov.) Any opinions despite that?

He's put his hands on a good piano, I haven't got the booklet so I can't say what it is or how it's been tuned.  He sometimes uses the timbres in the upper registers very effectively.

He's developed a distinctive touch - the liaison between adjacent notes. He doesn't use it all the time of course.  It makes the music sound jittery.

He sometimes finds a singing melody, and fix things up so that all the othe voices support or dance round it, rather than than interrupt it.

But these two things - jittery portato in one hand and cantabile in the other - make quite a distinctive sound, one which is far from smooth and polished. This is quite original as far as I know.

There's quite a bit of variety of touch and tone.

Hats off to him for having a go at the unmeasured music, IMO rather nicely done.

He can play quite loudly sometimes.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2019, 06:55:24 AM

He's put his hands on a good piano, I haven't got the booklet so I can't say what it is or how it's been tuned.  He sometimes uses the timbres in the upper registers very effectively.

He's developed a distinctive touch - the liaison between adjacent notes. He doesn't use it all the time of course.  It makes the music sound jittery.

He sometimes finds a singing melody, and fix things up so that all the othe voices support or dance round it, rather than than interrupt it.

But these two things - jittery portato in one hand and cantabile in the other - make quite a distinctive sound, one which is far from smooth and polished. This is quite original as far as I know.

Hats off to him for having a go at the unmeasured music, IMO rather nicely done.

I wish I could get ahold of this. It's not been released widely in the American venues. Not on Amazon, iTunes, etc. It looks much better than Pavel Kolesnikov.

Mandryka

Can't you order it directly from Challenge Records?

I just compared Chalmeau and Luc Beauséjour in the pavan because of this comment on the review on musicweb

QuoteLuc Beauséjour (Analekta) and Moira Lo Bianco (Steinway & Sons) – I was struck by the greater crispness and level of ornamentation in their playing compared to that of Chalmeau. His style borders on the Romantic and certainly contrasts with that of Angela Hewitt, for example.

I'm not a great admirer of Luc Beauséjour.

Anyway, I think that when you're thinking about Louis Couperin on a piano, the thing to consider first is how the music could be made to work on a clavichord.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 17, 2019, 04:38:24 AM
Can't you order it directly from Challenge Records?

I just compared Chalmeau and Luc Beauséjour in the pavan because of this comment on the review on musicweb

Anyway, I think that when you're thinking about Louis Couperin on a piano, the thing to consider first is how the music could be made to work on a clavichord.
I don't own a cd player. I can probably find an indirect way to get it but there's no American online service that carries it for downloading. None that I can see. Let's see. I'll report back on what I think.

Mandryka

Let me know if you want me to get it for you from Qobuz.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 17, 2019, 04:38:24 AM

He is very variable, but it is beyond doubt that he has released at least some excellent recordings, e.g. Bach on pedal harpsichord. Also his J. K. Fischer recordings (Naxos) in a certainly not crowded field deserve mention. And then there is this impressive recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4rUAkJiNZM
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 17, 2019, 06:59:38 AM
lso his J. K. Fischer recordings (Naxos) in a certainly not crowded field deserve mention.

Another Musical Parnassus here, I've not managed to enjoy this music.

http://www.fernandodeluca.it/audio-m48usf83Ge567FGhtxWm48usfz3Ge567jGhtxWm48usf83Ga567Fkhtx1-2k10/json/_gfharpsichord.php?sdc_ref=a2010_09.json

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2019, 06:55:24 AM

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Music Web didn't like this much because of his selection of pieces; too same-y they said. That's why I like it though. How would you compare this to Pavel Kolesnikov? I wonder if I should give that one another chance? I thought it was too much cantabile.