Recommendation for Shostakovich 5th Symphony?

Started by rubio, April 13, 2007, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2016, 05:45:10 AM
You see, I find that ("a sense of looming catastrophe") a little problematic to reconcile with the fact that Shostakovich needed to provide a fundamentally upbeat piece in order to restore himself to official grace, and that the emotional, sustained ovation at the work's première affirmed a consensus that the symphony was "a good answer" in response to the bureaucratic provocation.

My argument at heart is, if the d minor symphony had been dissident music, it would probably have been the composer's last symphony.

Well this is interesting. You are certainly right about the history. Boulez Zhdanov was watching. Still there's something in the music. Take Waltz Number 2. This to me should sound like a death waltz. Overtly it's a waltz, a very poplar one, easily likable , it doesn't crater like La Valse, but it's a death waltz nonetheless. "Beatings will continue until morale improves."

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on October 05, 2016, 07:42:31 AMStill there's something in the music. Take Waltz Number 2. This to me should sound like a death waltz. Overtly it's a waltz, a very poplar one, easily likable , it doesn't crater like La Valse, but it's a death waltz nonetheless. "Beatings will continue until morale improves."
Death waltz? Really? Just because the Russians (and Finns...) like their dance music in minor key, doesn't make the waltz from Suite for a Variety Orchestra a 'death waltz'. I don't really hear anything sinister in it - wistfulness, sure.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on October 05, 2016, 09:45:53 AM
Death waltz? Really? Just because the Russians (and Finns...) like their dance music in minor key, doesn't make the waltz from Suite for a Variety Orchestra a 'death waltz'. I don't really hear anything sinister in it - wistfulness, sure.
Absolutely. They Shoot Horses Don't They?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on October 05, 2016, 07:32:19 AM
I would love the complete Kondrashin cycle but it is ridiculously expensive. I have a few of the individual Melodiya releases including the wonderful versions of symphonies 4 and 11 but not No.5. He was a great conductor.
Why pay for it when it is free on Spotify?

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 05, 2016, 03:55:54 PM

Because there's still people who like buying the physical media (myself included).

vandermolen

PerfectWagnerite and John (MI)

You are both right in what you say!

'True words always seem paradoxical but no other form of teaching can take its place.'
(Lao-Tse)
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2016, 09:19:59 PM
Because there's still people who like buying the physical media (myself included).

And because the sound quality of Spotify and similar lossy streaming services is subpar.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Wanderer on October 05, 2016, 11:57:50 PM
And because the sound quality of Spotify and similar lossy streaming services is subpar.
Probably, sounds pretty good to me though...Anyway I am not as audiophile as the rest of you folks and am just happy I get free music.

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on October 05, 2016, 07:32:19 AM
I would love the complete Kondrashin cycle but it is ridiculously expensive. I have a few of the individual Melodiya releases including the wonderful versions of symphonies 4 and 11 but not No.5. He was a great conductor.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2016, 09:19:59 PM

Quote from: Wanderer on October 05, 2016, 11:57:50 PM

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good; especially if it means the difference of being able to have access to the recording or not.

;)

relm1

This is a very solid No. 5

There are a few odd rhythmic choices but overall very satisfying.