Christopher Gunning (1944-2023) Symphonies, Concertos, and female Rippers

Started by Scion7, October 21, 2016, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Christopher Gunning (born 5 August 1944) is an English composer mostly known for his film and television scores (such as Hammer Film's Hands of the Ripper).  While they are perfectly adequate for their purpose, his tuneful "serious" music is what I am interested in.  A minor composer - but he does what he does well.

Symphony No.1
Symphony No.2
Symphony No.3
Symphony No.4
Symphony No.5

Birdflight, for orchestra
Storm!  for orchestra
Yorkshire Glory, for brass band or symphony orchestra

The Lobster

Concerto for Soprano Saxophone

Concerto for Oboe

Piano Concerto

Cello Concerto

Guitar Concerto

Clarinet Concerto

Flute Concerto

Violin Concerto

String Quartet (Nr.1)

Trio for Piano, Violin & Cello

Piano Sonata

Details about his compositions - in his own words - may be found at the website he maintains:

http://www.christopher-gunning.co.uk/discography/
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

arpeggio

Thanks.

I never cared for the Poirot theme.  It never worked for me.

But I checked out some of his concert works and I really connected with them.  Impressive symphonies.

Scion7

[asin]B017KP78PM[/asin].
London Piano Trio w/Olga Dudnik

Diana Brekalo

[asin]B01GOP0BQW[/asin]

[asin]B00A8HGR0M[/asin]

[asin]B00CRFF7L8[/asin]

[asin]B0024JQNI8[/asin]

[asin]B00LCL1KVY[/asin]

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B000067UM9[/asin]

^ soprano saxophone concerto

[asin]B01GKABN7M[/asin]

Scion7

Scion7

[asin]B0001JSS40[/asin]

vandermolen

I have several of his symphonies and despite  all the hype find them totally unmemorable and overblown.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2016, 01:31:28 PMI have several of his symphonies and despite  all the hype find them totally unmemorable and overblown.
+1  :-[
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2016, 01:31:28 PM
I have several of his symphonies and despite  all the hype find them totally unmemorable and overblown.

I prefer the chamber pieces that I have heard, and the concerti.
The Lobster is interesting as a diversion from time to (much extended) time.  ;D 

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2016, 01:31:28 PM
Interesting! And when I think of the rave reviews I've ploughed through for his symphonies in various publications. I've been tempted for than once. Coming from you and knowing your tastes in music I won't bother with this one. A good thing for my bank balance,though as he's composed quite a few! :) I could spend the money on something else,anyway. I keep being tempted by that Chandos Brian Easdale cd,for instance. He composed the music for the film,'The Red Shoes'. I'm sure you know! ;D There are others of course. It's just one of these cds I have on a sort of list,but never seem to buy.

Mirror Image

I heard one work from Gunning (forget which one --- one of his symphonies I believe) and I found it dreadfully boring and I don't even believe I finished it. Not a composer I'm interested in exploring that's for sure!

Scion7

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 23, 2016, 04:26:14 AM
Interesting! And when I think of the rave reviews I've ploughed through for his symphonies in various publications. I've been tempted for than once. Coming from you and knowing your tastes in music I won't bother with this one.

You can find just about his entire output on YouTube if you want to sample it.
I would suggest the Piano Trio to start.

relm1

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 23, 2016, 04:26:14 AM
Interesting! And when I think of the rave reviews I've ploughed through for his symphonies in various publications. I've been tempted for than once. Coming from you and knowing your tastes in music I won't bother with this one. A good thing for my bank balance,though as he's composed quite a few! :) I could spend the money on something else,anyway. I keep being tempted by that Chandos Brian Easdale cd,for instance. He composed the music for the film,'The Red Shoes'. I'm sure you know! ;D There are others of course. It's just one of these cds I have on a sort of list,but never seem to buy.
Yes, I'd save yourself the money and stick with the Easdale.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Well, I doubt this will be the last time that I fly in the face of popular opinion, including here on GMG.

I couldn't disagree more with the somewhat lukewarm response to these Gunning symphonies 🙂. I've been listening on and off for a while to them and haven't failed to benefit on any occasion. I am happy to come out and endorse the enthusiasm of the music press for Gunning and his craft!

Today he is on a rolling playlist following each symphony through, and it's been very worthwhile thus far.

Surely there must be other Gunningites out there in GMGland?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Shameless cross post from WAYLT:

Christopher GUNNING (b. 1944)
Symphony No 5 (2009) [51:40m]
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Christopher Gunning
Signum

Continuing with my amble through Gunning's symphonies with 5, which according to William Kriendler's review on Music Web,

is dedicated to the composer's sister Rachel, who, as the composer tells us, was enduring her final illness while the work was under way. He also states that "...the music moves through several phases which could be said to correspond to one's journey from birth to death." The whole symphony is based on wood-wind murmurings heard at the outset, plus scurrying strings and a horn call. The central slow section is very expressive and beautifully orchestrated; listeners may be reminded in different ways of the symphonies of Malcolm Arnold and George Lloyd.

Very positive I think, both in content and comparison.

If this is a reflection in any way upon his sister's passing, it is well done. Some earthly exits are characterised by pain and great angst, whereas this captures a sense of serenity and peace with the return of the woodwind murmurings of the opening movement, closing the cycle of life with gentleness.

He's doing OK, in my eyes.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Last call here today.

Having listened again to all the available streaming symphonies on Spotify, I am ready for something new. If you only know Gunning through Poirot's music or film scores, you will already know he is capable. His symphonies are a positive addition to my rotation, and bear patient attention. He is life affirming. He does satisfying conclusions. He makes sense of chaos. Perhaps he is even spiritual.

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 13, 2023, 03:05:45 AMChristopher GUNNING (b. 1944)
Symphony No. 2
Symphony No. 10
Symphony No. 12
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Kenneth Woods
SIGNUM

Nothing but good things to say. Vacuous and amateurish, you may think me, but I stand with the prevailing critical opinion of these lovely works. Comparisons with Sibelius, Alwyn and others aren't always immediately obvious to me despite several reviewers leading that connection, but I kind of get it.

Gunning is a worthwhile voice. I really look forward to the release of the rest of his symphonies.

In the meantime, the whole run will get better on repeat!

No cover art. Bad internet.

Tolstoy

vandermolen

I'm glad that you enjoy them Danny. You have obviously detected something that I have missed. I always found the cover art more interesting than the music, although remember liking the opening and closing of the 5th Symphony

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on March 13, 2023, 04:32:39 AMI'm glad that you enjoy them Danny. You have obviously detected something that I have missed. I always found the cover art more interesting than the music, although remember liking the opening and closing of the 5th Symphony

I was quite surprised that you had found little connection with them, tbh. Not every bell rings in the same way for all, I realise, but I wondered whether there would be something in there for you. We are hardly short of common ground elsewhere, however 😅

Lovely to hear from you!

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 13, 2023, 04:40:40 AMI was quite surprised that you had found little connection with them, tbh. Not every bell rings in the same way for all, I realise, but I wondered whether there would be something in there for you. We are hardly short of common ground elsewhere, however 😅

Lovely to hear from you!
I will, sooner or later, have another go with Mr Gunning Danny!
Lovely to hear from you too.