Started by lisa needs braces, October 21, 2016, 03:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2016, 07:27:40 AM
I'd modify your analysis, and say that it incorporates some pre-existing elements, rather than simply crafting it from previous works.

And your point is entirely well taken:  it is a profound misunderstanding of literature, to mistake the program of the Symphonie fantastique for autobiography.

I recommend viewing SF as incorporating and motivated by autobiographical elements.  Berlioz was a high-strung person, and like his physician father (and many others of that period) used opium to calm himself.  Of course, that drug is essential to its program (orig. just the last two movements) and became more so as the composer altered it entire so that the whole work becomes an opium-fueled dream. Berlioz' obsession ("stalker-like" is not an exaggeration) with Harriet Smithson is clearly there in the work.  Hugh Macdonald, Berlioz biographer:  "There is no mistaking the artist or the woman as Berlioz and Harriet Smithson, and the programme spells out his dreams and fantasies in dramatic form."
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

drogulus

While a wait and see attitude towards the dangers of pot might seem reasonable, it's bound to seem less so when you consider the level of damage of the war against pot users.

Another point, pot can have dangers associated with its use that we choose to accept. It's not all "it's harmless, so we'll allow it". Not at all is it that. For both medicinal and recreational use we will accept some level of danger.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on October 22, 2016, 02:33:29 PM
      While a wait and see attitude towards the dangers of pot might seem reasonable, it's bound to seem less so when you consider the level of damage of the war against pot users.

Another point, pot can have dangers associated with its use that we choose to accept. It's not all "it's harmless, so we'll allow it". Not at all is it that. For both medicinal and recreational use we will accept some level of danger.

Indeed.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 21, 2016, 07:34:36 PM
I'm against it. Some could say as long as they're not hurting anyone, then what does it matter? My view: you can't take any chances like that. I can see someone being allowed to use marijuana if they're terminally ill. That's a completely different matter altogether. I just don't want to walk out and see accident upon accident happen. People are crazy enough with no kind of drug in their body!

Maybe when I reach John's age I'll know what's best for others and feel comfortable telling them how to live. But not yet.

I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

drogulus

I accept government can regulate pot, baby food, drones, to the point I insist that they do. Also I'm super comfortable telling people how I think they should live, in exactly the same way people who think the government shouldn't tell me how to live tell me how I must live. Only a tyranny could impose libertarian absolutism, a democracy won't ever do it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: sanantonio on October 22, 2016, 04:16:21 PM
Nobel worthy lyrics.

;)

Whoa there cowboy! Drake, JayZeee, and Kane West deserve to get theirs first!!!   :P
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

No, actually, I can't stand Dylan's sound, so have not memorized his ouevre. In any case, it is possibly a slippery slope until Drake gets his (Still not as bad as Kissinger winning the peace prize!)

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on October 22, 2016, 04:03:26 PMMaybe when I reach John's age I'll know what's best for others and feel comfortable telling them how to live. But not yet.

I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

???

I'm not telling anyone how to live or what they should or should not be doing with their lives. Where did you read that or read any implication that is what I said? Anyway, if they want to kill brains cells, then, hell, have fun! Smoke'em up! :) I will say that I don't have to nod along and say I agree with it. Like I said, I'm against it and unless someone is terminally ill, I don't agree that it should be used for recreation, but I don't make the laws.

Edit: I can't stand Bob Dylan, but recognize he's a great songwriter. That's about all he is.

Andante

I wonder how many of the killers in mass shootings that happen in the USA were affected by drugs, how many road accidents are down to drugged drivers, how many crimes are committed to get money for drugs.
I recently had to travel in a mini bus for 2 ½ hrs behind me was a young guy 18-20 he stank of Marijuana (not smoking it) and was coughing and hawking all the way, as to the comments that it does no harm just ask the medical professionals. Crystal Meth "methamphetamine" is a bigger problem why not make that legal as well.
No I am with Mirror Image and am totally against legalisation, you must be a sad individual if you have to rely on the stuff.
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: sanantonio on October 22, 2016, 04:39:50 PM
Sure. We had a democracy in this country from 1776-1861 and there was no regulation of pot.  I am not for prohibition, and had thought it was a proven failure.

The hypocrisy of taxation on alcohol and tobacco has to do with shoveling into government coffers, big money from people harming themselves while sanctimoniously preaching these items are "not good for you".
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

snyprrr

Quote from: drogulus on October 22, 2016, 04:24:12 PM
     I accept government can regulate pot, baby food, drones, to the point I insist that they do. Also I'm super comfortable telling people how I think they should live, in exactly the same way people who think the government shouldn't tell me how to live tell me how I must live. Only a tyranny could impose libertarian absolutism, a democracy won't ever do it.

The only sane thing to do is to DE-CLASSIFY it. It is grass that grows on the side of the road. Period.

(No, mom, I'm not Posting in the Pot Thread!!!)

snyprrr

snyprrr

Quote from: -abe- on October 21, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
American states that allow ballot measures are all increasingly choosing to legalize marijuana. In this election cycle California is poised to vote for a regulated cannabis market like Colorado's, making recreational cannabis official in that state and doing away with their 20 year old wink-wink arrangement. Legalization will also be voted on by the residents of Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Maine and Massachusetts, and a spattering of states will consider medical marijuana. Given California's rich economy and population size, its decision to legalize will have national and international repercussions about drug policy. After this election cycle, if most of the ballot measures are successful, legalization might start happening via state governments themselves, and several New England states have promised to do so (as well as New Jersey) if Massachusetts' ballot measure is successful.

But since this is a music forum, my real goal with this thread is to ask: Have any of you listened to music while under the influence of cannabis especially the sativa strain? The few times I've done this have been wondrous experiences -- I've found that sound is so much fuller and richer and my artistic sensitivity is increased three fold. Oddly though, I've found everything is more engaging when under the influence of the sativa variety via edible form -- I remember listening to a history podcast (Hardcore History, the series on WW1) and finding it to be the most engaging thing ever.

In conclusion: What do you guys think of cannabis intoxication as a means to enhance artistic sensitivity and perception?

I'm reporting you to the proper authorities. I had an uncle who died from only one marijuana, Nixon was right!!

GO CUBS!!!! $:)

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on October 22, 2016, 10:27:01 PM
The only sane thing to do [....]

Dude, if you only knew how amusing it is to read this phrase, posted by your bad self.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on October 22, 2016, 04:24:12 PM

You cannot distinguish between telling people how they should live and telling them how one thinks they should lie? One is passing and enforcing rules and one is expressing an opinion. I think no-one should waste time watching college football but I don't want a law against it.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Andante on October 22, 2016, 07:35:15 PM
I wonder how many...how many road accidents are down to drugged drivers...

Wonder no more, Andante : the all-too-predictable result - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/10/marijuana-related-fatal-car-accidents-surge-washin/   Similar reports are coming from California and Colorado.  One might well ask whether marijuana decriminalization laws permit users to smoke pot or protect their right to weed us out on the road. Meanwhile, research is being done to better measure drivers' marijuana-induced intoxication levels as well as specific effects on their driving.  The added administrative costs of all this require...guess? : more taxation on pot sales.  If you want Bo, get used to it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on October 23, 2016, 06:07:01 AM
Wonder no more, Andante : the all-too-predictable result - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/10/marijuana-related-fatal-car-accidents-surge-washin/   Similar reports are coming from California and Colorado.  One might well ask whether marijuana decriminalization laws permit users to smoke pot or protect their right to weed us out on the road. Meanwhile, research is being done to better measure drivers' marijuana-induced intoxication levels as well as specific effects on their driving.  The added administrative costs of all this require...guess? : more taxation on pot sales.  If you want Bo, get used to it.

But this is what's good for our society! (repeat statement 10 times in row for full sarcastic and obnoxious effect) ;D

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2016, 07:13:28 AM
But this is what's good for our society! (repeat statement 10 times in row for full sarcastic and obnoxious effect) ;D

Yeah, i'll make it my mantra. Hope I can at least hum it on the way to the hospital...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on October 23, 2016, 07:57:55 AM
Yeah, i'll make it my mantra. Hope I can at least hum it on the way to the hospital...

Or the casket...