Top 3 Favorite Mahler Works

Started by Mirror Image, October 25, 2016, 06:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Das Lied von der Erde
Symphony 1
Symphony 3
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on October 26, 2016, 05:01:30 AM
7 and 9
Kindertotenlieder, although they're such an overwhelming emotional experience, one almost hesitates to list them, plus the thought of Mahler's loss of Maria lends even more Leid to the Lieder and then there's the troubling thought the songs may be cursed...ok, I just talked myself into switching to Das Lied von der Erde. (Sorry, John, it may look like I was squeezing in another Mahler in defiance of your guidelines,  but honestly not the case).

No worries, my friend.

To all: great lists!

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2016, 05:46:26 AM
No worries, my friend.

To all: great lists!

The only poor list I can imagine would be something like:

Piano Quartet
Im Lenz
Die drei Pintos completion
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 26, 2016, 06:22:21 AM
The only poor list I can imagine would be something like:

Piano Quartet
Im Lenz
Die drei Pintos completion

And you probably won't ever see a list like this either. ;D

Brian

Symphony No. 3
Wunderhorn
Symphony No. 4

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2016, 04:53:30 AM

Symphony 3 (a new discovery for me having heard it live recently).

The 3rd is one I rediscovered and was completely blown away by it. This is monster of a symphony, but extremely compelling IMHO. Really puts my mind someplace else entirely.

Spineur

Das Lied von der Erde
Des knaben wunderhorn
Symphony no 4

North Star

Rückert-Lieder
Symphony No. 7
Symphony No. 9
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

My three, including top 2 favorite performances

Symphony No. 6  Solti/Chicago; Szell/Cleveland
Symphony No. 4  Maazel/Battle/Vienna; Honeck/Sunhae Im/Pittsburgh
Symphony No. 10 (Cooke)  Ormandy/Philadelphia; Levine/Philadelphia

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2016, 06:31:40 AM
The 3rd is one I rediscovered and was completely blown away by it. This is monster of a symphony, but extremely compelling IMHO. Really puts my mind someplace else entirely.
Seeing it live was amazing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Pretty easy call...for the top two, that is :

# 2
# 6
# 1

;D
Olivier

Heck148

#9, #5, #6;
DLvdE rates very highly also.

Androcles

And, moreover, it is art in its most general and comprehensive form that is here discussed, for the dialogue embraces everything connected with it, from its greatest object, the state, to its least, the embellishment of sensuous existence.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2016, 08:55:22 AM
Seeing it live was amazing.

I bet. Who was the conductor, soprano, and orchestra?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Ah yes, live Mahler is always incredible. I have seen the 3rd in concert last December and it certainly blew me away! Prior to that concert I was relatively unfamiliar with it compared to the other Wunderhorn symphonies.

Jay F

Symphony No. 6 is always No. 1 with me. Though I have owned many versions since 1987, when I started listening to Mahler, I have liked Bernstein's recording on CBS more than any other. It is my single favorite piece of music in any style.

Thanks to so much mention here on GMG lately, Symphony No. 3 is today's No. 2. My preferred versions are Bernstein's on CBS and Abbado's first recording (Wiener Philharmoniker).

Symphony No. 2 is in place No. 3 today. I like practically every version. I know absolutely nothing about music except what I like, and this symphony is to me like Mozart's Piano Concertos in that I pretty much like every version. In complete contradiction with everything I've written so far, the only version I haven't liked much was Bernstein's Ely Cathedral recording, the one that had the yellow cover in the first US CD release on CBS. The sound quality was so harsh on my then current stereo. I first enjoyed Simon Rattle's CBSO recording, then Bernstein's DG recording. And then Bernstein's first NYPO version on LP, and the older Solti recording, and one by Klemperer. Lots and lots of good No. 2s.

Nos 7 and 8 often appear in my top 3 as well. 

Marc

At the moment:

#5 and Rückert-Lieder (dead heat)

The Rückert-Lieder are simply beautiful (prefer them in the order Ich atmet'.../Liebst du um.../Blicke mir nicht.../Um Mitternacht/Ich bin der Welt...), and I consider those three symphonies as Mahler's most consistent works, whatever that means. :)

Wanderer

Glad to see so much love for the Third and the Tenth.  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Wanderer on October 26, 2016, 09:58:52 PM
Glad to see so much love for the Third and the Tenth.  8)
I also like No.10 10 (Adagio) and an alternative list would consist of 10 (Adagio),6 and 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2016, 06:53:39 PM
I bet. Who was the conductor, soprano, and orchestra?
I've seen Mahler's Third live three times:

1. Warsaw PO, Antoni Wit, and I think Ewa Wolak?
2. Houston Symphony, Andres Orozco-Estrada, forget who the mezzo-soprano was
3. San Antonio Symphony, Sebastian Lang-Lessing

It was impressive each and every time, but the Warsaw/Wit concert is the single best concert I've ever been to. Never experienced another orchestra at that standard of playing.

That said, the NYPO/Bychkov Mahler 6 I saw earlier this year was pretty amazing! And a Houston/Alsop M1 was one of that orchestra's best performances. Mahler really does bring out the best in the band, live.