It's Jerry Goldsmith, Baby!

Started by snyprrr, October 29, 2016, 08:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I JUST DON'T CARE.

There's no reason (what difference, at this point, does it make?) not to have a JG Thread here. I find myself enjoying more and more of his work, and, truth be told, is probably one of the most variegated Composers out there. Am I trolling? You be the judge...

Now, to ward off any embarrassment, I will go and check if he's really responsible for what I thought he was...

Sergeant Rock

My favorite bit of Goldsmith: the Klingon Battle with Vger from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

https://www.youtube.com/v/XjlBXmn2Q0s

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

A very fine composer. I love the original 'Alien' and 'Planet of the Apes' score. Also 'Capricorn One'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on October 29, 2016, 02:40:25 PM
A very fine composer. I love the original 'Alien' and 'Planet of the Apes' score. Also 'Capricorn One'.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 29, 2016, 09:13:09 AM
My favorite bit of Goldsmith: the Klingon Battle with Vger from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

https://www.youtube.com/v/XjlBXmn2Q0s

Sarge

Both Sarge and vandermolen have Endorsed this Thread, so, I don't want to hear any 'Film Music Composer' stuff from the peanut gallery! achtung!! :P

The 'Apes' score is stuck in my head. Also, I'm always seeing his name pop up when I didn't expect it to. Also, got eclectic? Maybe it's a '70s thing and some might not understand?

vandermolen

A vote here for the 'Black Mass' from Damien Omen II with its echoes of Carmina Burana. Actually I find Carmina Burana more scary in view of the historical circumstances of its creation!

Here's the opening:

https://youtu.be/oZmixJmXSyc

Also an admirer of the fine music for 'Tora,Tora,Tora' (an excellent film).
[asin]B000025NLB[/asin]
Great thread title by the way.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on October 30, 2016, 02:10:43 AM
A vote here for the 'Black Mass' from Damien Omen II with its echoes of Carmina Burana. Actually I find Carmina Burana more scary in view of the historical circumstances of its creation!

Here's the opening:

https://youtu.be/oZmixJmXSyc

Also an admirer of the fine music for 'Tora,Tora,Tora' (an excellent film).
[asin]B000025NLB[/asin]
Great thread title by the way.  8)

It's all just TOO MUCH FUN!! My favourite "TV/Film Music" stereotype are the "stacked 4ths"... maybe someone could embed an example?,... probably from 'Columbo', lol

There's also the chord that is ALWAYS used when the sleuth finds a hidden chord, usually with vibraphone going "wah wah wah wah"

Thanks for supporting this Thread! :-*

Bogey

His Star Trek score is superb.  Also love his Alien and Planet of the Apes.  However, two that I enjoy that usually get overlooked are his Mulan and Papillion.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

snyprrr

Quote from: Bogey on October 30, 2016, 09:38:44 AM
His Star Trek score is superb.  Also love his Alien and Planet of the Apes.  However, two that I enjoy that usually get overlooked are his Mulan and Papillion.

btw- Glenn Strange really looks like that, lol! Just got off a GS kick...

Must IMDb Jerry...

vandermolen

His 'fanfares over a deserted battlefield' type music for Patton (1970) was a fine inspiration:

https://youtu.be/mu11QRO9BrQ

Cato

Where to start? 8)of
Let's just say that the original movie, The Omen with the Ave, Satane! (Hail, Satan!  >:D  0:) )   chorus is a score whose recording I wore down to its barest atoms in the early '70's.

[asin]B0000014RT[/asin]

Yes, Planet of the Apes with its various effects (e.g. a percussive strumming of the interior of a piano) is an all-around fave.

[asin]B000001525[/asin]

And for the third member of my Trinity:

[asin]B00AOO46BQ[/asin]

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Ok, I just bought this:
[asin]B00006313F[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 30, 2016, 12:18:01 PM
I love his scores for Alien (1979) and the original Planet Of The Apes  :D
Me too - also his title music for 'Capricorn One' (1977) -  an underrated movie:

https://youtu.be/46DWo8LOa_s

Mirror Image

I haven't heard the entire soundtrack for Chinatown in years, but I remember that Love Theme being one of the most gorgeous things I've heard from Goldsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/v/lmOhNyitewI

vandermolen

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 30, 2016, 02:31:19 PM
Never seen Capricorn One actually, I'll have to!  ;)

I love how in Alien, there are a combination of seemingly Penderecki-esque indeterminacy and very Messiaen-esque wind parts.
Also, pota has some very Varese sounding moments.
Both great scores that don't take the movies to enjoy  ;D
Good point about Alien. I hadn't thought of it that way but you are right. Oh yes, you have to see 'Capricorn One' - a highly entertaining adventure story with a fine performance by Elliot Gould and a great cameo from Telly Savalas.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 30, 2016, 02:17:15 PM
I haven't heard the entire soundtrack for Chinatown in years, but I remember that Love Theme being one of the most gorgeous things I've heard from Goldsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/v/lmOhNyitewI

That was a great film too.

vandermolen

Here is a live performance of the music from the original 'Omen' film. I was much amused to learn that the child who played Damien did not want to continue in movies and when he grew up got a job in the City of London and, in interview, now sounds remarkably like David Beckham the British footballer. However, I'm delighted to say that he still turns up to horror movie conventions, to sign autographs etc and accompanied by his tricycle. Wonderful!
>:D 8)

https://youtu.be/nmOHzeTsBUM

arpeggio

Quote from: vandermolen on October 30, 2016, 11:54:15 AM
Ok, I just bought this:
[asin]B00006313F[/asin]

I hate you.  You mentioned this great disc before I did.  >:(

It is interesting that two of his concert works were twelve-tone.  In spite of this they still sound like Goldsmith.  ;)

snyprrr

I just checked IMDB. Wow- very prolific. I'm sure we can uncover a hidden gem or two...

Be prepared to watch some cheezy flicks! ;)

I'd like to hear his take on 'Jaws', or something like that...

snyprrr

I think I've triggered vandermolen here, lol!! Go get 'em, tiger!! :laugh:

(pictures vandermoldy on the floor playing model WWII with ToraToraTora on in the background)

vandermolen

Quote from: arpeggio on October 30, 2016, 02:49:51 PM
I hate you.  You mentioned this great disc before I did.  >:(

It is interesting that two of his concert works were twelve-tone.  In spite of this they still sound like Goldsmith.  ;)

To give additional 'legitimacy' to snyprr's interesting thread I thought I'd see if JG wrote any concert as opposed to film music and there it was, dirt cheap on Amazon UK. I liked the sound of the reviews but, unlike you, I haven't yet heard any of the pieces, so you could let us know what they are like and then you would have less cause to hate me.  ;) :)