Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

JBS

Quote from: BasilValentine on August 08, 2019, 05:00:24 AM
Why should this be noted? Trump's originality isn't at issue. A president espousing racism and xenophobia and inciting violence is the issue. Who cares where the "ideas" originated? The Pittsburgh killer was quoting Trump and acting on his words.

What evidence do you have that the killer in Dayton was "apparently a progressive?" Is everyone who says something approving about Elizabeth Warren a progressive?

It's important to point out that Trump is really just repeating things that are commonly said by RWers because the RWers will still be here and saying those sorts of things when Trump is gone. It's important to point out that talking about Central Americans as an invasion is standard RW rhetoric.  Trump publicizes it, but the toxicity was there already. Just getting rid of Trump won't get rid of it. 

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 08, 2019, 06:12:45 AM
It's important to point out that Trump is really just repeating things that are commonly said by RWers because the RWers will still be here and saying those sorts of things when Trump is gone. It's important to point out that talking about Central Americans as an invasion is standard RW rhetoric.  Trump publicizes it, but the toxicity was there already. Just getting rid of Trump won't get rid of it. 

Trump is at once, a problem himself, and also symptomatic of more general problems.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

BasilValentine

Quote from: JBS on August 08, 2019, 06:12:45 AM

I mostly agree. However Trump went far beyond the standard RW rhetoric with the talk of — really lies about — rape and murder, which is why the killer from Pittsburgh justified his attack as "them or us" self-defense. Who's to say Trump's singling out of El Paso as a dangerous, crime infested city didn't put a target on those just murdered in a Walmart?

JBS

Quote from: BasilValentine on August 08, 2019, 04:02:23 PM
I mostly agree. However Trump went far beyond the standard RW rhetoric with the talk of — really lies about — rape and murder, which is why the killer from Pittsburgh justified his attack as "them or us" self-defense. Who's to say Trump's singling out of El Paso as a dangerous, crime infested city didn't put a target on those just murdered in a Walmart?

If you think Trump went beyond the standard RW rhetoric, then I conclude you don't have extensive exposure to RW rhetoric. I have seen just about everything Trump says on RW websites, before Trump says it. It's like he hears stuff on Fox, likes it, repeats it.

I don't remember Trump attacking El Paso...I only remember him attacking Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco...iow, urban areas with large black populations. The El Paso shooter  as I understand it picked the location because it was a border town where he expected to find a lot of Mexicans and no Americans.

SimonNZ

"Treated like a rock star":

Trump attacks local leaders as he visits two cities grieving from mass shootings

[...] "None of the eight patients still being treated at University Medical Center in El Paso agreed to meet with Trump when he visited the hospital, UMC spokesman Ryan Mielke said. Two victims who already had been discharged returned to the hospital with family members to meet with the president."[...]

Assistant secretary of State resigns after immigration clash: report -

"The State Department's top diplomat for Latin American matters has resigned after a dispute with the White House over Guatemalan immigration policy, according to The Washington Post.

A senior administration official told the newspaper Kim Breier, assistant secretary of State for the Western Hemisphere, is leaving her post after White House policy adviser Stephen Miller berated her in an email chain for what he perceived as an insufficient defense of the Trump administration's "safe third country" asylum agreement with Guatemala.

Miller told Breier that it was "her job" to defend the agreement, which requires Central American migrants to seek asylum in Guatemala before applying for asylum in the U.S., the official added. The Post notes that it is unclear whether this was a primary cause of her resignation."

drogulus

I looked into permanent residency in Mexico for US citizens. To my dismay I found the government doesn't want me to be illegal. Legal status is easy to get, even if you aren't rich.

I probably won't decide to infest Mexico. Just knowing that I could is enough. The decision by the US is to want immigrants so bad they offer jobs that are illegal to take in places it's illegal for the workers to be.

We want the workers to be illegal or we would create a legal path for them. That keeps them cheap and powerless. We don't confer rights on them and attack them for not having the right to be here. We do that and justify the decision as though an authority made it for us. Our foreign workers just are illegal, nothing to do with us, the laws passed themselves.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Open Borders Made America Great

This is the America my great-grandfather, Samuel Freedman, came to in 1911, when he walked off the deck of an English ship onto Ellis Island. His migration bears little resemblance to that of today's documented immigrants. He had no visa—the U.S. would not even issue them until more than a decade later. He was checked for lice and given a medical examination, yes, but he wasn't asked to present a passport. In fact, he wasn't asked to present any papers at all. Simply stating the name of the ship on which he had arrived was all that was required for a foreigner to come to America with the intention of staying.

In other words, my great-grandfather was an undocumented immigrant. And, if your parents, or grandparents, or great-grandparents immigrated to the United States before 1924—when xenophobic panic about Southern and Eastern Europeans spurred the first truly restrictive laws for white migrants—they were undocumented, too.

Documents.....what documents? Did my ancestors have documents? Did yours?

Open borders made America, and great, too.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

The parents of this child were killed by the El Paso shooter.

JBS

Quote from: drogulus on August 09, 2019, 01:50:10 PM

The parents of this child were killed by the El Paso shooter.

The family are Hispanics who support Trump, including apparently the murdered couple (or at least the husband/father), and chose to be photographed with Trump.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-el-paso-shooting-anchondo-1453507

drogulus

Quote from: JBS on August 09, 2019, 02:45:29 PM
The family are Hispanics who support Trump, including apparently the murdered couple (or at least the husband/father), and chose to be photographed with Trump.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-el-paso-shooting-anchondo-1453507

"I want to see his reaction in person," Tito, whose late brother, Andre, was Paul's father, told NPR. "I want to see if he's genuine and see if my political views are right or wrong and see if he feels maybe some kind of remorse for statements that he's made."

It sounds like his faith in the grinning idiot is wavering a little.

SimonNZ

What on earth is the "thumbs up" for? Is it to say "see: I'm standing next to some darkies - I'm the least racist person ever"?

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 09, 2019, 05:19:36 PM
What on earth is the "thumbs up" for? Is it to say "see: I'm standing next to some darkies - I'm the least racist person ever"?

He would probably say "see, they don't blame me, they know I'm not a racist!"
So your guess would be fairly close...

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Donald Trump launches attack on 'racist' Hollywood
The president has claimed that the film industry is doing 'a terrible disservice' by releasing racist movies without giving any examples

Trump is drafting an order to regulate Facebook and Twitter for bias
'They're treating conservatives very unfairly,' says Trump

-

Wonkette:

Who Said It? Donald Trump Or Neo-Nazi Derek From American History X?

1. "Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?"

2. "We need to open our eyes. There's over two million illegal immigrants bedding down in this state tonight."

3. "Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came?"

4. "This state spent three billion dollars last year on services for those people who had no right to be here in the first place! Three billion dollars, 400 million just to lock up a bunch of illegal immigrant criminals who only got into this country because the fucking INS decided it's not worth the effort to screen for violent felons!"

5. "When do we beat Mexico at the border? They're laughing at us, at our stupidity."

6. "Our border policy is a joke, so is anybody surprised that south of the border they're laughing at us, laughing at our laws?"

7. "You look at what is marching up, that is an invasion! That is an invasion!"

8. "This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas."

9. "WHAT U REALLY SHOULD B ANGRY ABT IS THE INVASION OF MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS TKING OVER AMERICA!"

10. "Every night, thousands of these parasites stream across the border like some fucking piñata exploded."

11. "It's CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION."

12. "There's nothing funny going on here, it's about your life and mine. It's about decent hard-working Americans falling through the cracks and getting the shaft, because their government cares more about the constitutional rights of a bunch of people who aren't even citizens of this country!"

13. "Murders, Murders, Murders, Killings, Murders!"

14. "On the Statue of Liberty, it says 'Give me your tired, your hungry, your poor.' Well, it's Americans who are tired and hungry and poor! And I say until you take care of that, close the fucking book!"

15. "Democrats are the problem. They don't care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13."

16. "We're losing our right to pursue our destiny. We're losing our freedom, so that a bunch of fucking foreigners can come in here and exploit our country."

17. "We have people coming into the country or trying to come in [...] You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. [...] These aren't people. These are animals."

18. "Are we going to stand by the sidelines? Quietly standing there while our country gets raped?"

19. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

(Answers: Trump: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19. Derek: 2,4,6,10,12,14,16,18. El Paso shooter's manifesto: 8.)

JBS

There already is a platform that deliberately refuses to moderate content, and is full of right wingers and alt righters. So full of them and so unmoderated that most conservatives avoid it.

I am of course referring to Gab.

SimonNZ

I hadn't heard of "Gab" before. Do they make 8chan look like hippies by comparison?