Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2020, 08:20:04 AM
To the best of my memory, Clinton's main verbal legerdemain was actually an attempt to parse the meaning of the word "is" so that he could claim he wasn't participating in any sexual activity at the precise moment he was being deposed, without including any previous moments in time when his behavior was not so innocent.

Humpty-Dumpty linguistics.  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2020, 08:21:33 AM
Sad, but true... "Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye?" finds its perfect application in the world of politics (anywhere, anytime).

Yes, precisely!

Except that it's only in recent, modern , contemporary times that this Realpolitik is masqueraded as liberal democracy. Louis XIV, Frederick the Great, Joseph I of Austria never ever pretended their rule was based on the consent of the people they governed, let alone their free election. Whatever mistakes they did, they were their responsibility alone. Compare this with the claim which any contemporary political leader can make in all earnest: I proposed the people my platform, they voted for me, I won the elections, ergo the people wanted my platform to be implemented --- if it goes wrong, blame it on the people, not on me!

;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

Quote from: Florestan on January 28, 2020, 08:11:36 AM
Substitute Democrats for Republicans and the proposition still stands. (Remember Clinton's redefining oral sex?)

The purpose of a political party --- any party, anywhere in the world, Finland included --- is to get into power and stay there as long as possible. The rest is propaganda.

If you're implying that anyone would act as Trump is then I completely disagree.

As I do with the underlying assumption that everyone in politics seeks merely power for its own sake.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on January 28, 2020, 08:11:36 AM
Substitute Democrats for Republicans and the proposition still stands.

Today's tribalism differs in degree, rather than in kind, yes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 28, 2020, 09:23:15 AM
If you're implying that anyone would act as Trump is then I completely disagree.

As I do with the underlying assumption that everyone in politics seeks merely power for its own sake.

It's a free world (as long as we can keep it).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2020, 09:39:36 AM
Nice republic, while we had it . . .

Honest question:has the USA republic been more beneficial to music than the Austrian Empire?

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2020, 07:47:26 AM
Be it noted that on this point I totally agree with you.

That's cool.  :)

I'm not very active in this thread because most people here agree with me so it would be pointless to post the same things others post anyway.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on January 28, 2020, 09:44:55 AM
Honest question:has the USA republic been more beneficial to music than the Austrian Empire?

Philosophically, so to speak, I don't suppose Washington D.C. has contributed much, directly, to the art. Since government monies are, taxpayers' dollars, and since government functionaries are not arbiters of culture, government funding for the arts tends to come with "general benefit" strings attached. Applying for arts grants generally involves demonstrating that the art you propose has "social relevance," and that seems to me a recipe for artistic mediocrity from the outset.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 28, 2020, 09:44:55 AM

That depends. If classical only, you have to consider homegrown talent (like Copland, Bernstein, Gershwin, etc.) and those that came to the US (for whatever reasons, like Korngold, Rachmaninov, Straviinsky, Hindemith, Shoenberg, etc.). Perhaps you would consider artists as well, like Heifetz and Toscanini.

If all music, then you have to consider jazz, rock and roll, musicals, movie scores, etc.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

71 dB

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 28, 2020, 10:41:58 AM
If all music, then you have to consider jazz, rock and roll, musicals, movie scores, etc.

Chicago House and Detroit Techno.  :)  Blues, Soul, Funk, Country, New Age... 

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2020, 10:41:08 AM
Philosophically, so to speak, I don't suppose Washington D.C. has contributed much, directly, to the art. Since government monies are, taxpayers' dollars, and since government functionaries are not arbiters of culture, government funding for the arts tends to come with "general benefit" strings attached. Applying for arts grants generally involves demonstrating that the art you propose has "social relevance," and that seems to me a recipe for artistic mediocrity from the outset.

Of course, Bernie will change all that!  ;D
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

West Virginia governor urges unhappy Virginia counties to secede and join his state

"West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice (R) encouraged Virginia counties unhappy with the Democratic-controlled government in Richmond to secede from the state and join his.

"If you're not happy where you're at, come on down," Justice said reportedly said in a Tuesday press conference with Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. "If you're not truly happy where you are we stand with open arms to take you from Virginia or anywhere you may be. We stand strongly behind the Second Amendment, and we stand strongly for the unborn."

In last year's election, Democrats captured complete control of Virginia's state government for the first time in more than two decades, prompting the party to propose stricter gun regulation, loosened abortion laws and efforts to fight discrimination against the LGBTQ community. The efforts have prompted a conservative resistance, including a rally this month in support of gun rights at the Virginia state capitol.

At least 91 out of 95 Virginia counties, and several other localities in the state, have declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, saying they will not enforce strict state gun restrictions.

Asked for reaction to Justice's comments, the office of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) said it "sounds like it's an election year in West Virginia."[...]

Karl Henning

Of course, this is an opinion piece in The New York Times, so it can only bring Poju pain:

Bernie Could Win the Nomination. Should We Be Afraid?

OTOH, he'll probably just dismiss it as "a hatchet job," and not bother to read the article.

QuoteAs Ezra Klein recently pointed out in The New York Times, the brute demographics of American politics make Democrats more electorally dependent on centrists than Republicans are.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Impeachment trial live updates: McConnell tells Republican senators he does not have the votes to block witnesses
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 28, 2020, 02:46:10 PM
West Virginia governor urges unhappy Virginia counties to secede and join his state

"West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice (R) encouraged Virginia counties unhappy with the Democratic-controlled government in Richmond to secede from the state and join his.

"If you're not happy where you're at, come on down," Justice said reportedly said in a Tuesday press conference with Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. "If you're not truly happy where you are we stand with open arms to take you from Virginia or anywhere you may be. We stand strongly behind the Second Amendment, and we stand strongly for the unborn."

In last year's election, Democrats captured complete control of Virginia's state government for the first time in more than two decades, prompting the party to propose stricter gun regulation, loosened abortion laws and efforts to fight discrimination against the LGBTQ community. The efforts have prompted a conservative resistance, including a rally this month in support of gun rights at the Virginia state capitol.

At least 91 out of 95 Virginia counties, and several other localities in the state, have declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, saying they will not enforce strict state gun restrictions.

Asked for reaction to Justice's comments, the office of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) said it "sounds like it's an election year in West Virginia."[...]

For those unaware of the historical context
West Virginia was before the Civil War simply rhe western counties of Virginia, but much more Unionist than the rest of the state.  With the co-operation of Lincoln, these counties "seceded " from Virginia when Virginia seceded from the Union, and formed themselves into a new state belonging to the Union.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2020, 03:26:35 PM
Of course, this is an opinion piece in The New York Times, so it can only bring Poju pain:

Bernie Could Win the Nomination. Should We Be Afraid?

OTOH, he'll probably just dismiss it as "a hatchet job," and not bother to read the article.

I don't know what you want me to say, but I say this: After Bernie Sanders entered this race It took corporate media almost a year to admit Bernie can win the nomination. We on the left believed in Bernie from day one.

SimonNZ

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2020, 03:30:32 PM
Impeachment trial live updates: McConnell tells Republican senators he does not have the votes to block witnesses

I cant even imagine the cognitive dissonance Todd is having to deal with right now, poor thing.

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 28, 2020, 05:16:00 PM
I cant even imagine the cognitive dissonance Todd is having to deal with right now, poor thing.

Where is Todd? I haven't seen him around for a while...

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on January 29, 2020, 03:56:43 AM
Where is Todd? I haven't seen him around for a while...

Tax season here in the US. Until April 15th, when all income tax returns are due, is the busiest time for tax attorneys and accountants . I don't know Todd's exact profession, but it is tax related. He normally disappears from the forum at this time of year for a couple of months.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk