Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 1391246 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #18160 on: February 11, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
Why would Buttigieg or Klobuchar drain the swamp? Doing so they would risk stepping on the toes of their billionaire donors.

People donating to campaigns is the least important part of corruption, because it happens where we can see it.

Lobbyists and bureaucrats writing regulations that benefit themselves is much more important, and has nothing to do with the mythical 1%.

Bernie's agenda would increase the swamp, because it would make government programs and money even more important.

Every government program attracts lobbyists and bureaucrats and money.  Which means the more programs, the more potential for corruption.  And the bigger the programs, the bigger the potential for corruption.  So if you are seriously against corruption, you'd be seriously against the progressive agenda.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18161 on: February 11, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
People donating to campaigns is the least important part of corruption, because it happens where we can see it.

How is something less harmful when we see it? Your house burning down is less harmful if you are not around witnessing it?

Lobbyists and bureaucrats writing regulations that benefit themselves is much more important, and has nothing to do with the mythical 1%.

Are you kidding me? Do you think those lobbyists are fighting for regular people? Those billionaires donating money want return for their investment.
Bernie's agenda would increase the swamp, because it would make government programs and money even more important.
Big goverment in itself is not a swamp. It's a swamp when the people working in the government are serving special interests rather than the regular people. Now, ask yourself what kind of people would Bernie hire to run those government programs. Goldman Sachs people?

Every government program attracts lobbyists and bureaucrats and money.  Which means the more programs, the more potential for corruption.  And the bigger the programs, the bigger the potential for corruption.  So if you are seriously against corruption, you'd be seriously against the progressive agenda.

What lobbying is there regarding the fire department? None, because there is nothing to gain lobbying.  Also, progressives are those MOST against corruption! You didn't know that? Money out of politics = less corruption!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:28:56 AM by Brewski »
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #18162 on: February 11, 2020, 09:38:23 AM »
How is something less harmful when we see it? Your house burning down is less harmful if you are not around witnessing it?

Are you kidding me? Do you think those lobbyists are fighting for regular people? Those billionaires donating money want return for their investment. Big goverment in itself is not a swamp. It's a swamp when the people working in the government are serving special interests rather than the regular people. Now, ask yourself what kind of people would Bernie hire to run those government programs. Goldman Sachs people?

What lobbying is there regarding the fire department? None, because there is nothing to gain lobbying.  Also, progressives are those MOST against corruption! You didn't know that? Money out of politics = less corruption!!

1)The very fact that it is public means that people can push back against it.

2)A lot of lobbyists work for people who you don't think of as billionaires, or Big Business.  They get their business from anyone impacted by government regulation.  Meaning anyone in the US who wants to hire them.

3) To effectively regulate something, you need a regulator with background in the business being regulated, which means they're already have connections to the special interests when they start regulating.  Bureaucrats always team up to protect themselves when they can.   That's an observable phenomenon across the globe.  The "people they serve" end up being themselves, not the general public.

4)There's lots of corruption at the local level.  Even if it's just networking among local business and politicians, it would meet your definition of corruption, since they work primarily to help themselves, and not the public.

5) Money will always be linked to politics.  Government decisions lead to real world impacts, which means there are financial and economic consequences, and the people involved in those consequences will therefore invest money in one way or another to get the consequences that favor them.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #18164 on: February 11, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »
In re Roger Stone
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/politics/roger-stone-sentencing-justice-department/index.html

Now that the Senate has concurred that anything that Trump does is "in the nation's interest," there's no need for any branch of government to serve as a check or balance.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #18165 on: February 11, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »
Now that the Senate has concurred that anything that Trump does is "in the nation's interest," there's no need for any branch of government to serve as a check or balance.

I don't think the Senate went full Guiliani. I think they simply decided that the only thing they could do was shaje their heads gravely, wag a finger, say naughty, naughty, and avoid the Wrath of Trump.  Profiles in Courage these men are not. Did you ever read JFK's book? One chapter is devoted to the GOP Senators who voted to acquit Johnson. For at least some of them, it meant the end of their political career.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #18166 on: February 11, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »
I don't think the Senate went full Guiliani. I think they simply decided that the only thing they could do was shaje their heads gravely, wag a finger, say naughty, naughty, and avoid the Wrath of Trump.  Profiles in Courage these men are not. Did you ever read JFK's book? One chapter is devoted to the GOP Senators who voted to acquit Johnson. For at least some of them, it meant the end of their political career.

I did read it, but long ago....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18167 on: February 11, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
That's at a secondhand bookshop down the road from me and I've been considering it.

Would either of you recommend it?

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #18168 on: February 11, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »
That's at a secondhand bookshop down the road from me and I've been considering it.

Would either of you recommend it?

I read it about 40 years ago, so my memory, like Karl's, may be a bit vague.
It is probably worth reading but bear in mind that as history it may not be a reliable source, if only because of the decades since it was published (1956). But it did feature a few otherwise unknown people. Still, it may provide more insight on what JFK thought was important, and what people in the 1950s were thinking than the eight senators who were the actual subjects of the book.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18169 on: February 11, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Thanks. I picked it up on the way home.

I hadn't realised the selections were senators who voted their conscience rather than falling in line. How very topical.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18170 on: February 13, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »
Hope Hicks, Rience Pribus and Sean Spicer return to the White House.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18171 on: February 13, 2020, 03:55:29 PM »
Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York
"He's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud," tweeted Rep. Val Demings.

"President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

Hours before New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was set to meet the president at the White House, Trump tweeted that Cuomo “must understand” that National Security far exceeds politics,” a reference to his administration’s recent decision to halt New York’s access to the Global Entry and other “trusted traveler” programs that allow New Yorkers faster border crossings and shorter airport lines.

Trump continued, “New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes.”

Trump’s invocation of “lawsuits & harrassment” was a reference to the state’s numerous lawsuits against his administration and also against Trump’s business, which is based in New York.

That prompted Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers who prosecuted Trump’s impeachment in the Senate, to accuse the president of “expanding his abuse of power to blackmailing U.S. states (threatening millions of people he supposedly works for). In this case, he's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud.”

State attorney general Letitia James has subpoenaed for Trump’s financial records, and the state is pursuing multiple inquiries about the Trump Organization’s business practices. James also just secured a $2 million settlement from Trump’s now-defunct charitable foundation, which was accused of numerous violations of misuse of funds.

The settlement prompted a sharp rebuke from Trump, who tweeted on Nov. 7 that James’ suit against the foundation was for “political purposes.”

“When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down,” James said Thursday, responding to Trump’s tweet. “Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law. BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor.”

Trump’s linkage of the investigations and lawsuits to his national security-related decisions involving New York immediately called back to House Democrats’ warning that Trump — if acquitted in last week’s impeachment trial — could leverage federal resources to coerce states to take actions that benefit him personally or politically.

“An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors,” the House wrote in its impeachment trial brief. “Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government.”[...]

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #18172 on: February 13, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »
Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York
"He's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud," tweeted Rep. Val Demings.

"President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

Hours before New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was set to meet the president at the White House, Trump tweeted that Cuomo “must understand” that National Security far exceeds politics,” a reference to his administration’s recent decision to halt New York’s access to the Global Entry and other “trusted traveler” programs that allow New Yorkers faster border crossings and shorter airport lines.

Trump continued, “New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes.”

Trump’s invocation of “lawsuits & harrassment” was a reference to the state’s numerous lawsuits against his administration and also against Trump’s business, which is based in New York.

That prompted Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers who prosecuted Trump’s impeachment in the Senate, to accuse the president of “expanding his abuse of power to blackmailing U.S. states (threatening millions of people he supposedly works for). In this case, he's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud.”

State attorney general Letitia James has subpoenaed for Trump’s financial records, and the state is pursuing multiple inquiries about the Trump Organization’s business practices. James also just secured a $2 million settlement from Trump’s now-defunct charitable foundation, which was accused of numerous violations of misuse of funds.

The settlement prompted a sharp rebuke from Trump, who tweeted on Nov. 7 that James’ suit against the foundation was for “political purposes.”

“When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down,” James said Thursday, responding to Trump’s tweet. “Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law. BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor.”

Trump’s linkage of the investigations and lawsuits to his national security-related decisions involving New York immediately called back to House Democrats’ warning that Trump — if acquitted in last week’s impeachment trial — could leverage federal resources to coerce states to take actions that benefit him personally or politically.

“An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors,” the House wrote in its impeachment trial brief. “Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government.”[...]

There may be a different motive there. (Or at least,  a second motive.) From what I read previously, Trump in doing this was trying to punish New York for not co-operating in his administration's persecution of immigrants.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #18173 on: February 14, 2020, 12:38:15 AM »
There may be a different motive there. (Or at least,  a second motive.) From what I read previously, Trump in doing this was trying to punish New York for not co-operating in his administration's persecution of immigrants.

The third motive is NY is a blue state, just like California (which has other punishments meted out), so Trump can wipe his ass on the entire state.

He also changed his official residence from NYC to Florida, as a sign whence he expects loyalty.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #18174 on: February 14, 2020, 01:07:50 AM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr-blasts-trumps-tweets-stone-case-impossible-job/story?id=68963276

Lol.

Sorry, dude. The Donald has been tweeting about EVERYTHING he wants to tweet about, from the day his Twitter account started.
But apperently you were sleeping.
Now just enjoy 'your' job, as long as it lasts.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18175 on: February 14, 2020, 03:25:45 PM »
Trump replies to Bill Barr's ABC News interview:

“The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.” A.G. Barr  This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!"

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18176 on: February 15, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
Man upset he can’t bring cutout of Donald Trump to dialysis

"A Florida man undergoing kidney dialysis three times a week is upset that he can’t bring a life-sized cardboard cutout of President Donald Trump for emotional support.

Nelson Gibson told WPBF that his family can’t sit with him during his three-and-a-half-hour treatments. To help, he began bringing a picture of Trump as a comfort item.

“It just feels like bringing something from home to make you comfortable,” Gibson told the West Palm Beach area television station.

Gibson said no one complained about the photo. Next, he started bringing a small cardboard cutout of himself standing next to a Trump photo. No one complained about the small cutout, and Gibson told the station that some people even took photos with it.

On Saturday, Gibson took a life-sized cutout of Trump to his treatment at Fresenius Kidney Care in Port St. Lucie. He said that again, no one took issue with this new emotional support item.

But when he returned Tuesday for treatment with the presidential cutout, Gibson ran into a roadblock.

“They told me it was too much and it wasn’t a rally,” he told the TV station.

His son Eric contacted officials at the facility to find out what the problem was.

“It was supposed to be an issue of safety infectious disease which made no sense,” Eric Gibson said.

The Gibsons say they feel singled out since the center typically encourages patients to bring emotional support items.

Gibson said another patient brings in bubble wrap and pops it during her treatment, which he finds nerve wracking.

“What I would really like to happen is for them not to infringe upon my father’s freedom of expression and speech and allow him to bring in the lifesize cardboard cutout that takes up less service area than a garbage can,” Eric Gibson told the station.

“While we cannot discuss any specific individual, we strongly support the ability of all our patients to express their views, which includes bringing reasonably sized items into our dialysis centers that do not create safety or infection control issues, or interfere with caregivers on the treatment floor,” said the center’s spokesman Brad Puffer said in a statement.

The family said they aren’t sure when Gibson will return for treatment."

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18177 on: February 15, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »
Highly recommended:

The latest podcast episode of Preet Brahara's Stay Tuned has a long (100 minutes) interview with Dan Goldman, the House Intelligence Committee’s Director of Investigations and Senior Adviser who was charged with leading the public questioning of impeachment witnesses. A lot of great behind the scenes detail of the impeachment process and also answers many questions critics may have had. They also have a bit of fun with the Secret Bunker Testimony nonsense.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stay-tuned-with-preet/e/67310471?autoplay=true

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #18178 on: February 16, 2020, 12:55:58 AM »
Man upset he can’t bring cutout of Donald Trump to dialysis

I am going to get SO rich making and selling a snuggly animal version of Trump, as comfort for insecure men.

All I need to do is wholesale buy a large amount of snuggly bears and change the head.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #18179 on: February 16, 2020, 01:30:26 AM »
I hate to tell you this, but...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:34:58 AM by SimonNZ »