Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Thanks. I picked it up on the way home.

I hadn't realised the selections were senators who voted their conscience rather than falling in line. How very topical.

SimonNZ

Hope Hicks, Rience Pribus and Sean Spicer return to the White House.

SimonNZ

Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York
"He's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud," tweeted Rep. Val Demings.

"President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

Hours before New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was set to meet the president at the White House, Trump tweeted that Cuomo "must understand" that National Security far exceeds politics," a reference to his administration's recent decision to halt New York's access to the Global Entry and other "trusted traveler" programs that allow New Yorkers faster border crossings and shorter airport lines.

Trump continued, "New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes."

Trump's invocation of "lawsuits & harrassment" was a reference to the state's numerous lawsuits against his administration and also against Trump's business, which is based in New York.

That prompted Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers who prosecuted Trump's impeachment in the Senate, to accuse the president of "expanding his abuse of power to blackmailing U.S. states (threatening millions of people he supposedly works for). In this case, he's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud."

State attorney general Letitia James has subpoenaed for Trump's financial records, and the state is pursuing multiple inquiries about the Trump Organization's business practices. James also just secured a $2 million settlement from Trump's now-defunct charitable foundation, which was accused of numerous violations of misuse of funds.

The settlement prompted a sharp rebuke from Trump, who tweeted on Nov. 7 that James' suit against the foundation was for "political purposes."

"When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down," James said Thursday, responding to Trump's tweet. "Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law. BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor."

Trump's linkage of the investigations and lawsuits to his national security-related decisions involving New York immediately called back to House Democrats' warning that Trump — if acquitted in last week's impeachment trial — could leverage federal resources to coerce states to take actions that benefit him personally or politically.

"An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors," the House wrote in its impeachment trial brief. "Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government."[...]

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 13, 2020, 02:55:29 PM
Trump accused of another quid pro quo, this time with New York
"He's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud," tweeted Rep. Val Demings.

"President Donald Trump appeared Thursday to link his administration's policies toward New York to a demand that the state drop investigations and lawsuits related to his administration as well as his personal business and finances.

Hours before New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was set to meet the president at the White House, Trump tweeted that Cuomo "must understand" that National Security far exceeds politics," a reference to his administration's recent decision to halt New York's access to the Global Entry and other "trusted traveler" programs that allow New Yorkers faster border crossings and shorter airport lines.

Trump continued, "New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes."

Trump's invocation of "lawsuits & harrassment" was a reference to the state's numerous lawsuits against his administration and also against Trump's business, which is based in New York.

That prompted Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers who prosecuted Trump's impeachment in the Senate, to accuse the president of "expanding his abuse of power to blackmailing U.S. states (threatening millions of people he supposedly works for). In this case, he's holding New York state hostage to try to stop investigations into his prior tax fraud."

State attorney general Letitia James has subpoenaed for Trump's financial records, and the state is pursuing multiple inquiries about the Trump Organization's business practices. James also just secured a $2 million settlement from Trump's now-defunct charitable foundation, which was accused of numerous violations of misuse of funds.

The settlement prompted a sharp rebuke from Trump, who tweeted on Nov. 7 that James' suit against the foundation was for "political purposes."

"When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down," James said Thursday, responding to Trump's tweet. "Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law. BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor."

Trump's linkage of the investigations and lawsuits to his national security-related decisions involving New York immediately called back to House Democrats' warning that Trump — if acquitted in last week's impeachment trial — could leverage federal resources to coerce states to take actions that benefit him personally or politically.

"An acquittal would also provide license to President Trump and his successors to use taxpayer dollars for personal political ends ... Presidents could also hold hostage federal funds earmarked for States — such as money for natural disasters, highways, and healthcare — unless and until State officials perform personal political favors," the House wrote in its impeachment trial brief. "Any Congressional appropriation would be an opportunity for a President to solicit a favor for his personal political purposes — or for others to seek to curry favor with him. Such an outcome would be entirely incompatible with our constitutional system of self-government."[...]

There may be a different motive there. (Or at least,  a second motive.) From what I read previously, Trump in doing this was trying to punish New York for not co-operating in his administration's persecution of immigrants.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Herman

Quote from: JBS on February 13, 2020, 03:27:25 PM
There may be a different motive there. (Or at least,  a second motive.) From what I read previously, Trump in doing this was trying to punish New York for not co-operating in his administration's persecution of immigrants.

The third motive is NY is a blue state, just like California (which has other punishments meted out), so Trump can wipe his ass on the entire state.

He also changed his official residence from NYC to Florida, as a sign whence he expects loyalty.

Marc

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr-blasts-trumps-tweets-stone-case-impossible-job/story?id=68963276

Lol.

Sorry, dude. The Donald has been tweeting about EVERYTHING he wants to tweet about, from the day his Twitter account started.
But apperently you were sleeping.
Now just enjoy 'your' job, as long as it lasts.

SimonNZ

Trump replies to Bill Barr's ABC News interview:

"The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case." A.G. Barr  This doesn't mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!"

SimonNZ

Man upset he can't bring cutout of Donald Trump to dialysis

"A Florida man undergoing kidney dialysis three times a week is upset that he can't bring a life-sized cardboard cutout of President Donald Trump for emotional support.

Nelson Gibson told WPBF that his family can't sit with him during his three-and-a-half-hour treatments. To help, he began bringing a picture of Trump as a comfort item.

"It just feels like bringing something from home to make you comfortable," Gibson told the West Palm Beach area television station.

Gibson said no one complained about the photo. Next, he started bringing a small cardboard cutout of himself standing next to a Trump photo. No one complained about the small cutout, and Gibson told the station that some people even took photos with it.

On Saturday, Gibson took a life-sized cutout of Trump to his treatment at Fresenius Kidney Care in Port St. Lucie. He said that again, no one took issue with this new emotional support item.

But when he returned Tuesday for treatment with the presidential cutout, Gibson ran into a roadblock.

"They told me it was too much and it wasn't a rally," he told the TV station.

His son Eric contacted officials at the facility to find out what the problem was.

"It was supposed to be an issue of safety infectious disease which made no sense," Eric Gibson said.

The Gibsons say they feel singled out since the center typically encourages patients to bring emotional support items.

Gibson said another patient brings in bubble wrap and pops it during her treatment, which he finds nerve wracking.

"What I would really like to happen is for them not to infringe upon my father's freedom of expression and speech and allow him to bring in the lifesize cardboard cutout that takes up less service area than a garbage can," Eric Gibson told the station.

"While we cannot discuss any specific individual, we strongly support the ability of all our patients to express their views, which includes bringing reasonably sized items into our dialysis centers that do not create safety or infection control issues, or interfere with caregivers on the treatment floor," said the center's spokesman Brad Puffer said in a statement.

The family said they aren't sure when Gibson will return for treatment."

SimonNZ

Highly recommended:

The latest podcast episode of Preet Brahara's Stay Tuned has a long (100 minutes) interview with Dan Goldman, the House Intelligence Committee's Director of Investigations and Senior Adviser who was charged with leading the public questioning of impeachment witnesses. A lot of great behind the scenes detail of the impeachment process and also answers many questions critics may have had. They also have a bit of fun with the Secret Bunker Testimony nonsense.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stay-tuned-with-preet/e/67310471?autoplay=true

Herman

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 15, 2020, 12:46:41 PM
Man upset he can't bring cutout of Donald Trump to dialysis

I am going to get SO rich making and selling a snuggly animal version of Trump, as comfort for insecure men.

All I need to do is wholesale buy a large amount of snuggly bears and change the head.

SimonNZ

I hate to tell you this, but...

JBS

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1228830979885850624

Tweet 1 of 12
QuoteBarr personally tried to push SDNY away from indicting Turkish bank Halkbank but US Attorney Berman resisted, per CNN.

Same bank case NYT cited—via John Bolton book—as Trump wanting to do favor for Turkey's Erdogan cabal for Trump's personal interest.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

The rot here begins at the head, but it all smells fine to Todd
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 16, 2020, 12:30:26 AM
I hate to tell you this, but...

I guess this proves this is so crazy it's no use trying to make it up.

Daverz

SimonNZ

Lawyer for WikiLeaks' Assange says he was offered a US pardon for denying Russian hacking

"A lawyer for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has said that a former US congressman offered him a pardon on behalf of US President Donald Trump, in exchange for denying Russian involvement in the Democratic National Committee email leak. The White House and the congressman have strongly denied Trump's involvement in the matter.

Lawyer Edward Fitzgerald told a court on Wednesday that a witness statement application claimed that then-California representative Dana Rohrabacher went to visit Assange at the Ecuadorean Embassy in London on the instruction of the "President."

According to the statement described by Fitzgerald, Rohrabacher's mission was to offer Assange a US pardon, if he would "play ball" by saying the Russians had nothing to do with the leak -- an assertion Assange had previously made."[...]

geralmar

Rohrabacher has something of a longstanding reputation as Republican slime.

SimonNZ

Ilhan Omar's Challenger Is Literally on the Run From the Law

"It's not unheard-of for members of Congress to resign their seats because of serious legal trouble. Now Republican House candidate Danielle Stella is trying to achieve the inverse: getting elected to Congress while being wanted by the law.

Stella, one of the five Republicans competing for the right to take on Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) in November, has been wanted for months on an arrest warrant for felony shoplifting. Even while facing arrest, though, she's managed to achieve a respectable fundraising haul—nearly $84,000 as of the end of 2019—and built up a following on social media, where, well, she's made some waves.

Stella first stirred the pot in July over tweets suggesting she supports the QAnon conspiracy theory, which claims that Trump is engaged in a ceaseless secret war against high-ranking pedophile-cannibals in the halls of power. At the same time, The Guardian reported that she had been arrested twice in the Minneapolis area's Hennepin County on shoplifting charges, including an allegation that she stole $2,300 from Target.

Stella insisted she didn't break the law. According to records, though, Stella failed to show up for multiple October court hearings about her alleged felony. After Stella missed another hearing, a judge issued a still-outstanding warrant for her arrest.

"We can confirm that she does have an active felony theft warrant in Hennepin County," a spokesman for the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office told The Daily Beast. "[...]

SimonNZ

New White House personnel chief tells Cabinet liaisons to target Never Trumpers

"Johnny McEntee called in White House liaisons from cabinet agencies for an introductory meeting Thursday, in which he asked them to identify political appointees across the U.S. government who are believed to be anti-Trump, three sources familiar with the meeting tell Axios."[...]

SimonNZ

Trump Criticized The Oscars For Awarding Best Picture To "Parasite," A South Korean Movie

"President Donald Trump criticized the Academy Awards during a rally Thursday for awarding this year's top prize to Parasite, a South Korean movie.

The film made Oscar history earlier this month by becoming the first-ever foreign-language film to win Best Picture. Parasite also won the Oscars for Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film. Fans, critics, and celebrities were thrilled.

But Trump didn't think much of that.

"By the way, how bad were the Academy Awards this year — did you see? 'And the winner is a movie from South Korea' — what the hell was that all about?" Trump said to a crowd in Colorado Springs, Colorado. "We got enough problems with South Korea with trade. On top of it, they give them the best movie of the year? Was it good? I don't know."

"Let's get Gone With the Wind — can we get, like, Gone With the Wind back, please?" Trump continued, referring to the 1940 Best Picture winner, which is set on a slave plantation during the Civil War.

He also took a moment to say he was never a fan of actor Brad Pitt, who, in his acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actor, called out Trump's impeachment trial for blocking witness testimony.

"They told me I only have 45 seconds up here, which is 45 seconds more than the Senate gave John Bolton this week," Pitt said during his speech. "I'm thinking maybe Quentin does a movie about it — in the end, the adults do the right thing."

The Academy Awards did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Trump's comments. Representatives for Parasite director Bong Joon-ho said he has no comment on Trump's remarks.

Neon, the film's distributor, was quick to respond on Twitter, joking that Trump can't read subtitles."[...]