Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 21, 2020, 03:29:58 PM
"Let's get Gone With the Wind — can we get, like, Gone With the Wind back, please?" Trump continued, referring to the 1940 Best Picture winner, which is set on a slave plantation during the Civil War.

Jeebus.  Gone with the fucking Wind, a romance set among the slaver set.  Birth of a Nation would have been too on the nose, I suppose.

In news:

"Trump's New Spy Chief Used to Work for a Foreign Politician the U.S. Accused of Corruption
    Richard Grenell did not disclose payments for advocacy work on behalf of a Moldovan politician whom the U.S. later accused of corruption. His own office's policy
    says that could leave him vulnerable to blackmail."

https://www.propublica.org/article/trumps-new-spy-chief-used-to-work-for-a-foreign-politician-the-us-accused-of-corruption

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 21, 2020, 03:29:58 PM
Trump Criticized The Oscars For Awarding Best Picture To "Parasite," A South Korean Movie

"President Donald Trump criticized the Academy Awards during a rally Thursday for awarding this year's top prize to Parasite, a South Korean movie.

The film made Oscar history earlier this month by becoming the first-ever foreign-language film to win Best Picture. Parasite also won the Oscars for Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film. Fans, critics, and celebrities were thrilled.

But Trump didn't think much of that.

"By the way, how bad were the Academy Awards this year — did you see? 'And the winner is a movie from South Korea' — what the hell was that all about?" Trump said to a crowd in Colorado Springs, Colorado. "We got enough problems with South Korea with trade. On top of it, they give them the best movie of the year? Was it good? I don't know."

"Let's get Gone With the Wind — can we get, like, Gone With the Wind back, please?" Trump continued, referring to the 1940 Best Picture winner, which is set on a slave plantation during the Civil War.

He also took a moment to say he was never a fan of actor Brad Pitt, who, in his acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actor, called out Trump's impeachment trial for blocking witness testimony.

"They told me I only have 45 seconds up here, which is 45 seconds more than the Senate gave John Bolton this week," Pitt said during his speech. "I'm thinking maybe Quentin does a movie about it — in the end, the adults do the right thing."

The Academy Awards did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Trump's comments. Representatives for Parasite director Bong Joon-ho said he has no comment on Trump's remarks.

Neon, the film's distributor, was quick to respond on Twitter, joking that Trump can't read subtitles."[...]

Trump doesn't care about Oscars. This is him taking advantage of the idiocy of his brainless supporters unable to enjoy foreign movies. This is Trump's genius and it's very dangerous. We can only hope DNC allows Bernie to be the nominee and remove this dangerous parasite from the White House.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Then, of course, there are those who pride themselves on not voting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Herman

Quote from: 71 dB on February 22, 2020, 02:29:27 AM
Trump doesn't care about Oscars.

I think Trump is genuinely envious of Oscar winners.

His entire epistemological universe consists of what's on tv.

He would be jealous of Mr. Ed, if it were still on tv

71 dB

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

Trump visits a big foreign market — for the U.S. and for Trump Org
For three years, Trump has worked with India on trade. And for three years, Trump's company has worked to promote its developments there.

"President Donald Trump arrives Monday in a country featuring the most Trump properties outside the U.S.

The White House hopes the visit will advance trade talks and bolster the president's standing with Indian-Americans ahead of the 2020 election. But it's also a trip that will create attention that could help Trump-branded properties amid a slumping real estate market and slowing economy in India.

Already, in the days leading up to the trip, some Indian media outlets have referenced the Trump properties in their coverage, with one even suggesting the president chose his speaking location because of his longstanding ties to realtors in the region.

It's an issue that has hovered over the entire Trump presidency. From staying at his own properties, to his attempt to host world leaders at one of his Florida resorts, to his loving odes to his overseas properties while sitting next to the leaders of those countries, Trump has faced constant questions about whether he is using his presidential perch to line his own pockets.

And nowhere are the lines more blurred between Trump the statesman and Trump the salesman than in India — a nation that boasts the distinction of being both the globe's largest democracy and the Trump Organization's largest foreign market. For three years, Trump's White House has worked with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on trade and a multi-billion weapons sale. And for three years, Trump's company has worked to promote its four developments in India that have earned Trump millions of dollars in royalties."[...]

SimonNZ

India rolls out the MAGA carpet for Trump
The president got an adulation-filled welcome featuring scores of dancers, Bollywood stars and even his own rally playlist.

[...]"Nearly everyone was wearing white baseball caps provided by organizers that featured a Namaste Trump logo across the front and both countries' flags on the brim. Even if the crowd started streaming out before the speeches were over because of the intense heat, the stadium was consistently filled with adulation for the U.S. president.

"Trump is my favorite," gushed Gautam Patel, wearing a "Trump, Make India Great Again" baseball cap. "I like Trump. He's straightforward, outspoken. ... He's got the verbal diarrhea but that's okay. ... He tells how it is. I love him."

Patel, a businessman who grew up in India but now lives outside Chicago and planned his vacation to India around the rally, said he supports Trump because he helped push through the 2017 tax cuts and his opposition to illegal immigration. "I elected him and I will elect him again," he said.

The event was more than twice the size of the "Howdy Modi" rally both leaders headlined in 2019 at a cavernous football stadium in Houston, billed as the largest event in the U.S. for a leader of a foreign nation. Trump's reelection campaign sent out tweets marveling at the size. "WOW! Listen to a crowd of over 100,000 cheer when President @realDonaldTrump and @FLOTUS walk in to the #NamasteTrump Rally in India," one tweet said.

"My friends, my family, maybe every Patel likes Trump," quipped Suresh Patel, 67, who splits his time between Jersey City, N.J., and Anand, India. A green card holder, he isn't able to vote but his wife and three adult children are all U.S. citizens and voted for Trump.

"I'm feeling proud," he said in Hindi. "It's the meeting of the world's oldest democrat and the world's biggest democracy."

Hundreds of police officers in beige uniforms and black berets surrounded the stadium. Construction materials from the newly built stadium sat in piles outside. Near the VIP entrance was a huge sign that read "Welcome to India Donald and Melania Trump."

As Trump's motorcade slowly made its way to the stadium, the Indian music gave way to Trump's rally playlist, including "Macho Man" and "Tiny Dancer."[...]

SimonNZ

Flying coach, red meat and trucks: why Donald Trump Jr thinks he's not the elite
The president's son posted a photo of him flying coach as proof that he knows 'how real Americans live'

Under Trump, America is less prepared for a coronavirus outbreak

[...]"Trump has often shown deep ignorance and cruelty on issues of global health. During the Ebola outbreak, when he was still a reality TV host, he said the US should not allow Ebola-infected citizens and aid workers to come back to the US and should let them "suffer the consequences."

He even deliberately spread misinformation, saying Ebola was: "Spreading all over Africa-and fast. Stop flights" and "The U.S. must immediately stop all flights from EBOLA infected countries or the plague will start and spread inside our 'borders.' Act fast!" He said this even though halting flights would bring potentially harmful consequences, like "hindering info-sharing, medical supply chains and harming economies," according to the
In 2014-2015 during the Ebola outbreak, his apparent disdain lived largely on Twitter. Now, in addition to sharing his often false opinions on Twitter, he claimed earlier this month that the coronavirus would weaken in the warmer weather despite no evidence to that effect.

The Trump administration is chronically inept at, and seemingly uninterested in, any type of long-term planning, given the numerous positions in government that remain vacant as well as the constant rotation of key cabinet positions and the ad hoc decisions made on the basis of a conversation or Fox News clip.

That posture, colliding with an anti-science and anti-expert bias, has corroded our epidemic preparedness. Columbia University has even tracked more than 400 cases of the Trump administration's efforts to restrict or dismiss scientific research, education or discussion, or the publication or use of scientific information since 2016."[...]

JBS

I suppose we should ask how many scientists are willing to work under Trump...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

The Notorious VSG:

"Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!"

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 26, 2020, 12:11:37 PM
The Notorious VSG:

"Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!"

Took me a minute to figure out what VSG meant...

But my imagination not being on VSG's level I am stumped to know what exactly Congress is supposed to be doing about the Coronavirus.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on February 26, 2020, 06:51:50 PM

But my imagination not being on VSG's level I am stumped to know what exactly Congress is supposed to be doing about the Coronavirus.

And, I mean, he's done all that can be expected of a President, by claiming that the coronavirus will just go away!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on February 26, 2020, 06:51:50 PM

According to The Global Health Security Index the 10 countries best prepared for an epidemic or pandemic are:

1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Netherlands
4. Australia
5. Canada
6. Thailand
7. Sweden
8. Denmark
9. South Korea
10. Finland

So, the US is the best prepaired. Sleep well americans. Anti-science VP Mike Pence has been appointed to help cure Coronavirus, but sleep well...

SimonNZ

NYC Sea Wall Halted After Trump Says it's 'Costly, Foolish'

"President Trump has long touted the efficacy of walls, funneling billions of Defense Department dollars to build a wall on the southern border. However, when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) released a study that included plans for a sea wall to protect New Yorkers from sea-level rise and catastrophic storms like Hurricane Sandy, Trump mocked it as ineffective and unsightly.

Now, six-weeks after plans for a sea wall drew the President's derision, the federal government abruptly decided to halt the project, according to The New York Times.

The sudden announcement from USACE to indefinitely postpone plans for a sea wall surprised some of its own officials, local politicians and environmental activists, all of whom see a mounting threat to New York City from the climate crisis, as The New York Times reported. The USACE official in charge of the project said it was very unusual to lose funding after more than three years of work on the project and millions of dollars spent.

"This doesn't happen," Robert Freudenberg, vice president for energy and environment at the Regional Plan Association, an urban research and advocacy group, said to The New York Times. "This is an in-progress study."

Furthermore, the surprise announcement that USACE did not receive the necessary funds in its raises questions about political interference in its work plan for 2020 raises speculation that the President's whims led to the shortage of funding. Officials did not say whether or not President Trump's tweet led to the shortage of funding, as The New York Times reported.

Six weeks ago, on Jan. 18, after USACE created five possible proposals to reduce storm flooding during large coastal weather events, President Trump attacked the most expensive plan, which called for a sea barrier with retractable gates that would stretch from New Jersey to Queens.

"A massive 200 Billion Dollar Sea Wall, built around New York to protect it from rare storms, is a costly, foolish & environmentally unfriendly idea that, when needed, probably won't work anyway. It will also look terrible. Sorry, you'll just have to get your mops & buckets ready!" Trump tweeted."[...]

-

I also learned recently that while Trump was publicly climate denying he applied to build a sea wall at one of his Scottish golf courses explicitly writing that it was to address climate change.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 27, 2020, 03:01:31 PM
NYC Sea Wall Halted After Trump Says it's 'Costly, Foolish'

"President Trump has long touted the efficacy of walls, funneling billions of Defense Department dollars to build a wall on the southern border. However, when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) released a study that included plans for a sea wall to protect New Yorkers from sea-level rise and catastrophic storms like Hurricane Sandy, Trump mocked it as ineffective and unsightly.

Now, six-weeks after plans for a sea wall drew the President's derision, the federal government abruptly decided to halt the project, according to The New York Times.

The sudden announcement from USACE to indefinitely postpone plans for a sea wall surprised some of its own officials, local politicians and environmental activists, all of whom see a mounting threat to New York City from the climate crisis, as The New York Times reported. The USACE official in charge of the project said it was very unusual to lose funding after more than three years of work on the project and millions of dollars spent.

"This doesn't happen," Robert Freudenberg, vice president for energy and environment at the Regional Plan Association, an urban research and advocacy group, said to The New York Times. "This is an in-progress study."

Furthermore, the surprise announcement that USACE did not receive the necessary funds in its raises questions about political interference in its work plan for 2020 raises speculation that the President's whims led to the shortage of funding. Officials did not say whether or not President Trump's tweet led to the shortage of funding, as The New York Times reported.

Six weeks ago, on Jan. 18, after USACE created five possible proposals to reduce storm flooding during large coastal weather events, President Trump attacked the most expensive plan, which called for a sea barrier with retractable gates that would stretch from New Jersey to Queens.

"A massive 200 Billion Dollar Sea Wall, built around New York to protect it from rare storms, is a costly, foolish & environmentally unfriendly idea that, when needed, probably won't work anyway. It will also look terrible. Sorry, you'll just have to get your mops & buckets ready!" Trump tweeted."[...]

-

I also learned recently that while Trump was publicly climate denying he applied to build a sea wall at one of his Scottish golf courses explicitly writing that it was to address climate change.

This confused me a bit at first
Wikipedia article here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Harbor_Storm-Surge_Barrier

So it seems the barrier was one of five proposals being considered in the CoE study.  Trump made fun of the barrier, but withdrawing the funding effectively blocks the four alternative plans as well.

Herman

Banana republics typically do not occur in developed countries.

It's kind of scary how Trump is actively working to turn the USA into a third world country.

I'm not even talking about corrupting the election process. Clearly most Americans don't care about this either.

The response to the inevitable arrival of the corona virus is more threatening to the people, and yet Trump is talking publicly about how there is going to be 'a miracle' that somehow will dissipate the disease and prevent serious numbers of deaths and disruption of the economy.

In other words, he'd rather do nothing about it, like a banana republic leader would.