Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 1542641 times)

Offline Dowder

• Currently Listening to:
    All the good stuff
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #19180 on: May 28, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »
Would you like to consider the connections and the implications for just one second?
No. Seems like a typical leftist tactic.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #19181 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »
Graham urges senior judges to step aside before November election so Republicans can fill vacancies

"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday urged federal judges who are in their mid-to-late 60s to step aside so that Republicans, increasingly nervous about holding the Senate majority in the November election as they eye President Trump’s poll numbers, can fill the vacancies now.

Graham made the comments in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.

“This is an historic opportunity,” Graham said. “We’ve put over 200 federal judges on the bench. . . . If you can get four more years, I mean, it would change the judiciary for several generations. So if you’re a circuit judge in your mid-60s, late 60s, you can take senior status, now would be a good time to do that, if you want to make sure the judiciary is right of center.”"[...]

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #19182 on: May 28, 2020, 04:40:04 PM »
No. Seems like a typical leftist tactic.

In the post-war era, Democrats have used the Nazi schtick since the Truman years.  I don't know how long non-American lefties have used it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've used it for just as many years.  It's most humorous when used by people who take it seriously or by people who use it to create jumbled, meaningless rejoinders.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #19183 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »

In the post-war era, Democrats have used the Nazi schtick since the Truman years.  I don't know how long non-American lefties have used it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've used it for just as many years.  It's most humorous when used by people who take it seriously or by people who use it to create jumbled, meaningless rejoinders.

What do you see as being examples of this?

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #19184 on: May 28, 2020, 05:57:25 PM »
There are over three hundred million Americans in the United States.  I am sure that we can easily come up with a few million who believe that all Trump supporters are neo-Nazi's.

By the same token there are many conservatives who have accused liberals of being Stalinists who hate America.  Just look at the McCarthy Inquisition.

Name calling does not prove anything.

I realize this is anecdotal.  The vast majority of Trump supporters I know are not racist.  But I do know a few racists.  And every one of them support Trump.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #19185 on: May 28, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »
The purpose of my post wasn't to call Trump's supporters nazis, it was to point out the near identical use of this toxic propaganda tool and the effect it has undermining peoples trust in and desire for a free press. And if anyone wants to look at the effect this use has there's a clear historical precedent.

Another reason the nazi comparison is not hyperbolic is that many of these strategies were put in place by Steve Bannon, who openly admired the nazis and stated that he wished to be known as the Leni Riefenstall of the party, or something. If he'd read better history books, though, I think he might have realized that it was actually Goebbels job he wanted.

Offline Dowder

All the good stuff
« Reply #19186 on: May 28, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
The purpose of my post wasn't to call Trump's supporters nazis, it was to point out the near identical use of this toxic propaganda tool and the effect it has undermining peoples trust in and desire for a free press. And if anyone wants to look at the effect this use has there's a clear historical precedent.
You’re basically doing the same thing you claim is so dangerous. I find your justification hypocritical.

Another reason the nazi comparison is not hyperbolic is that many of these strategies were put in place by Steve Bannon, who openly admired the nazis and stated that he wished to be known as the Leni Riefenstall of the party, or something. If he'd read better history books, though, I think he might have realized that it was actually Goebbels job he wanted.
Steve doesn’t work for Trump anymore and from memory he appreciated Julius Evola or Giovanni Gentile more than anyone else without identifying as a fascist. Anyhoo, the Fake News frustration is one experienced by both sides. After all, you’ve bitched about Fox, Breitbart and others for lying and distorting the news before. I can’t call you a Nazi or Nazi sympathizer for saying so but you can drop that label on me.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #19187 on: May 28, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »
You’re basically doing the same thing you claim is so dangerous. I find your justification hypocritical.
Steve doesn’t work for Trump anymore and from memory he appreciated Julius Evola or Giovanni Gentile more than anyone else without identifying as a fascist. Anyhoo, the Fake News frustration is one experienced by both sides. After all, you’ve bitched about Fox, Breitbart and others for lying and distorting the news before. I can’t call you a Nazi or Nazi sympathizer for saying so but you can drop that label on me.

You're confusing and conflating two separate problems: firstly that of creating a widespread distrust of any and all news and the belief in the populace that all news is propaganda leaving a cynicism that allows free press to be curtailed without any widespread pushback or feeling that anything important is being lost, secondly that of more politically divisive agencies produce "news" they know full well to be so untrue or misleading as to be mere propaganda.

I was referring to the first part, but we can talk about the second if you'd prefer.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #19188 on: June 03, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
The apparent resurrection of the forum has caused things to revert to the status quo May 28. But it hasn't caused the moderators to yet change their mind about locking this thread. Might that be a permanent thing? We'll see. It's easy to make the argument that things have been very quiet here, but since it has been locked, that would be rather fatuous.

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106