Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

Quote from: Dowder on May 28, 2020, 08:03:03 AM
The Dems haven't controlled Congress as much in the last 25 years but that is a direct reflection of the people being satisfied with the GOP or voting the Dems out, usually after two years of very liberal policies being attempted or pushed through (eg, 1994, 2010). America is far more conservative than you think.

Your statement ignores the following facts:

Gerrymandering has allowed the Republicans to control the Congress and many state houses.  In Virginia until the last election, the state house and senate were controlled by Republicans even though most Virginians over the past twelve years voted Democratic.

In the past seven Presidential elections the Republican only won the popular vote once.

Another proof that many Republicans think they are the great silent majority.

BasilValentine

From Brian Mann's reporting for NPR I just learned that after the H1N1 outbreaks, beginning in 2011, the Obama administration spent years developing work place standards for hospitals and nursing homes requiring the stockpiling on site of personal protective equipment, including, among other things, N95 masks. Regulations enforcing this basic preparedness for a pandemic were set to go into effect in 2017. Can anyone guess what happened to them? You're right! They were nixed in Trump's indiscriminate war on "red tape." They were among the regulatory efforts that "came to a sudden, screeching, and beautiful halt," as Trump put it. Hundreds of doctors and nurses died for want of PPE as a direct result of this Trump administration action, along with an untold number of those treated by them.

Quote from: arpeggio on May 28, 2020, 08:48:24 AM

In the past seven Presidential elections the Republican only won the popular vote once.

Not only that, but the republicans vastly lost the collective popular vote for congressional elections when they took control of both houses.

Karl Henning

Trump is directly responsible for thousands of dead Americans. Don't expect Trumpkins to acknowledge this anytime soon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

"Trump's attempt to govern by sticking his fingers in his ears continues unabated, for it is the only strategy available to someone entirely incompetent and overwhelmed by the job. Some 2.1 million more Americans filed for unemployment insurance, bringing the total to about 40 million people. It is a staggering figure: About 1 in 4 American workers have lost their job."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Herman

Quote from: arpeggio on May 28, 2020, 08:48:24 AM

Gerrymandering has allowed the Republicans to control the Congress and many state houses.  In Virginia until the last election, the state house and senate were controlled by Republicans even though most Virginians over the past twelve years voted Democratic.

plus the Republicans have decided, unilaterally, Democratic presidents have only three years per term to nominate judges and justices. As was demonstrated by the non-hearing of Merrick Garland, because McConnell thought it came too late in Obama's term. Also the Senate refused to consider many nominations for lower court judges in the Obama era.

Karl Henning

For the Nth time, President Me-first puts his own interests above the transparency the public deserves:

Breaking precedent, White House won't release formal economic projections this summer that would forecast extent of downturn

The truth will out, Ostrich-man!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

I'll double down on that to randomly say that I learned for the first time yesterday in an interview with Timothy Snyder that "Fake News", as used by Trump and the Trumpists,  is a version of the German "Lügenpresse", used in exactly the same way by the Nazis.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on May 28, 2020, 07:59:09 AM
Which merely proves that the stock market and the real world have been out of alignment for quite a long time.

It was too soon for huggy bear's victory lap, anyway:

U.S. stocks retreat on U.S.-China tensions, for first negative finish in three days
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Quote from: Dowder on May 28, 2020, 03:30:45 PM
Omg, Nazis!

Would you like to consider the connections and the implications for just one second?

Daverz

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 28, 2020, 03:26:22 PM
I'll double down on that to randomly say that I learned for the first time yesterday in an interview with Timothy Snyder that "Fake News", as used by Trump and the Trumpists,  is a version of the German "Lügenpresse", used in exactly the same way by the Nazis.

The Charlotte neo-Nazis -- Trump's good people -- weren't shy about using the original German.

SimonNZ

Graham urges senior judges to step aside before November election so Republicans can fill vacancies

"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday urged federal judges who are in their mid-to-late 60s to step aside so that Republicans, increasingly nervous about holding the Senate majority in the November election as they eye President Trump's poll numbers, can fill the vacancies now.

Graham made the comments in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.

"This is an historic opportunity," Graham said. "We've put over 200 federal judges on the bench. . . . If you can get four more years, I mean, it would change the judiciary for several generations. So if you're a circuit judge in your mid-60s, late 60s, you can take senior status, now would be a good time to do that, if you want to make sure the judiciary is right of center.""[...]

Todd

Quote from: Dowder on May 28, 2020, 03:50:50 PM
No. Seems like a typical leftist tactic.

In the post-war era, Democrats have used the Nazi schtick since the Truman years.  I don't know how long non-American lefties have used it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've used it for just as many years.  It's most humorous when used by people who take it seriously or by people who use it to create jumbled, meaningless rejoinders.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Quote from: Todd on May 28, 2020, 05:40:04 PM

In the post-war era, Democrats have used the Nazi schtick since the Truman years.  I don't know how long non-American lefties have used it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've used it for just as many years.  It's most humorous when used by people who take it seriously or by people who use it to create jumbled, meaningless rejoinders.

What do you see as being examples of this?

arpeggio

There are over three hundred million Americans in the United States.  I am sure that we can easily come up with a few million who believe that all Trump supporters are neo-Nazi's.

By the same token there are many conservatives who have accused liberals of being Stalinists who hate America.  Just look at the McCarthy Inquisition.

Name calling does not prove anything.

I realize this is anecdotal.  The vast majority of Trump supporters I know are not racist.  But I do know a few racists.  And every one of them support Trump.

SimonNZ

The purpose of my post wasn't to call Trump's supporters nazis, it was to point out the near identical use of this toxic propaganda tool and the effect it has undermining peoples trust in and desire for a free press. And if anyone wants to look at the effect this use has there's a clear historical precedent.

Another reason the nazi comparison is not hyperbolic is that many of these strategies were put in place by Steve Bannon, who openly admired the nazis and stated that he wished to be known as the Leni Riefenstall of the party, or something. If he'd read better history books, though, I think he might have realized that it was actually Goebbels job he wanted.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Dowder on May 28, 2020, 07:49:52 PM
You're basically doing the same thing you claim is so dangerous. I find your justification hypocritical.
Steve doesn't work for Trump anymore and from memory he appreciated Julius Evola or Giovanni Gentile more than anyone else without identifying as a fascist. Anyhoo, the Fake News frustration is one experienced by both sides. After all, you've bitched about Fox, Breitbart and others for lying and distorting the news before. I can't call you a Nazi or Nazi sympathizer for saying so but you can drop that label on me.

You're confusing and conflating two separate problems: firstly that of creating a widespread distrust of any and all news and the belief in the populace that all news is propaganda leaving a cynicism that allows free press to be curtailed without any widespread pushback or feeling that anything important is being lost, secondly that of more politically divisive agencies produce "news" they know full well to be so untrue or misleading as to be mere propaganda.

I was referring to the first part, but we can talk about the second if you'd prefer.

Gurn Blanston

The apparent resurrection of the forum has caused things to revert to the status quo May 28. But it hasn't caused the moderators to yet change their mind about locking this thread. Might that be a permanent thing? We'll see. It's easy to make the argument that things have been very quiet here, but since it has been locked, that would be rather fatuous.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)