Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Ok, I am still smarting over the defeat.

So I ask you fellow Democrats who are we going to run in 2020 and take back the White House?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 05:11:11 AM
A term limits constitutional amendment tops Trumps agenda for his first 100 days.  He does not have support from the Republican leadership yet, but if he can get broad support across party lines and among the states, his presidency would offer the best hope for term limits becoming reality.

I await, with bated breath... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 06:33:55 AM
I already alluded to Obama and Clinton calling for unity (on the other thread) and their followers ignoring that call.   But can you link to any leader calling for quiet since the protests have started?
Happened in 2012 too. What's your point?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

(poco) Sforzando

I already alluded to Obama and Clinton calling for unity (on the other thread) and their followers ignoring that call.   But can you link to any leader calling for quiet since the protests have started?

Certainly there's been no sign of that from Trump.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 10, 2016, 06:30:41 AM
My major objection to this is that it is too trusting of Trump's own statements. He could change his mind about any of these things tomorrow (and then maybe change it back again).

Ayyup.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 06:56:16 AM
Honestly, that call to Clinton supporters who already do not accept Trump would only be effective from her or Obama.

Leadership from within the same group is required to tamp down violent protests no matter which side the protest is directed against.  That is my point.  There have assassination threats on social media.   Are you suggesting silence by Democratic leadership is appropriate?
I've suggested nothing. I was simply trying to understand your position, which was unclear to me. I am neither supporting nor attacking you (or your position in this post). I usually try to avoid this thread, but what people are saying is interesting to me.

To answer your question - I don't know. They've said the right things to try and bring people together. There are always outliers who don't listen. To bring attention to them by saying something about it is not always the right course of action. My assumption is that there have been threats against both candidates for some time. I doubt either would support those physical threats, but again saying something brings attention to these people. And I have not heard them regularly commenting on such things.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

But what's wrong with protests? If they're non-violent, free speech and free expression are healthy.

Mahlerian

I foresee the potential for Trump trying to do something so extreme that his Republican majority legislative branch refuses to back him up.  This may well lead to his being ousted from office.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 08:24:55 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with peaceful protests.  However, these are turning violent with reports of burning cars, bottles and other debris being thrown at police, etc.  As I said there have also been assassination threats on social media.  I hope there is no violence, certainly not physical violence - but if leaders that these protesters respect do not speak out to quell the momentum, it could easily descend into widespread violence. 

Is that really what you want?
Four objectionable things in your post.

1. As far as I can tell, the only reports of things on fire and a police officer injured are from one (1) city.
2. Empty assassination threats would be nothing new to our political scene, given that the new president has personally made them against his opponent.
3. The suggestion that these people will naturally turn violent, unless someone stops them, sounds racist.
4. Why would you then assume that I want violence? You read my post. My post said what it meant. Now you accuse me of wanting "widespread violence."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Matea Gold, Kari Lydersen & Mark BermanPolice in Boston said as many as 4,000 people participated in a march there and remained orderly and peaceful, a spokesman said Thursday morning.

Many protesters who turned out said they were fearful that Trump would follow through with his pledge to deport undocumented immigrants.

"I just felt waking up today that I was waking up to a whole new world, to a nightmare for my parents and people I care about and love," said Tony, a 23-year-old line cook who declined to give his last name as he marched in Chicago, carrying his 6-year-old daughter on his shoulders.

"There's so much heartache," he said. "It's a bad time to be a Muslim or an illegal citizen in this country."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Xenophanes

Trump is not starting off well. His transition team is rife with corporate lobbyists will advise him on appointments. So it does not look good.

But the Trump transition team is a who's who of influence peddlers, including: energy adviser Michael Catanzaro, a lobbyist for Koch Industries and the Walt Disney Company; adviser Eric Ueland, a Senate Republican staffer who previously lobbied for Goldman Sachs; and Transition General Counsel William Palatucci, an attorney in New Jersey whose lobbying firm represents Aetna and Verizon. Rick Holt, Christine Ciccone, Rich Bagger, and Mike Ferguson are among the other corporate lobbyists helping to manage the transition effort.

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/08/trump-transition-lobbyists/

Then there are some likely members of Trump's cabinet: Giuliani, Christie, Huckabee, Palin . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/10/loyalists-and-rivals-tipped-for-powerful-roles-in-trump-cabinet

Ewwww!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 06:56:16 AM
Honestly, that call to Clinton supporters who already do not accept Trump would only be effective from her or Obama.

Leadership from within the same group is required to tamp down violent protests no matter which side the protest is directed against.  That is my point.  There have assassination threats on social media.   Are you suggesting silence by Democratic leadership is appropriate?

Since there is a transition to new leadership underway, both new and old have an obligation to step up. But being the outstanding unifier he is, "Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor and a high-profile Trump supporter, said the demonstrators were 'a bunch of spoiled cry-babies.'"

Yeah, that's how you do it, Rudy. Dismiss and belittle your opponents. That's how you win assent and bring the country together.

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 10, 2016, 09:15:38 AM
Yeah, that's how you do it, Rudy. Dismiss and belittle your opponents. That's how you win assent and bring the country together.

He's a shrewd one.  Rudy's acting up like that so that, in comparison, El Tupé will seem sober and benign . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 10, 2016, 09:20:26 AM
He's a shrewd one.  Rudy's acting up like that so that, in comparison, El Tupé will seem sober and benign . . . .

Oh that's how it works. Silly moi.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: sanantonio on November 10, 2016, 08:00:54 AM
Paul Ryan and other prominent Republicans never failed to critisize Donald Trump throughout his campaign every time he said something they objected to.

However, the election is over.  Helping to guide the nation through the period of transition, especially after a controversial general election, requires responsible leadership.  Nursing old grudges is not productive.  He is the president for all of us, and while it is fine to work against policies you oppose  I don't think it is fine to stand by while violent protests occur.   Leadership requires continued calls by Democrats for quiet and acceptance of the outcome of the election.
Haven't they though? Here's a quote from Obama just hours ago...

Quote"I believe that it is important for all of us — regardless of party, and regardless of political preferences — to now come together, work together and deal with the many challenges that we face," Obama said. "I want to emphasize to you, Mr. President-elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed. Because if you succeed, then the country succeeds."

Archaic Torso of Apollo

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Making America great again:  Trump's administration is looking like it'll be very white and very male
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Herman