Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: BasilValentine on November 10, 2016, 04:02:17 PM
I'm alarmed at suggestions above to impose term limits for legislators. Sufficient means to accomplish this already exist and limiting the choices of voters is a cheap and bad fix to more complex issues.

The overt power advantage of incumbency negates many of those 'sufficient means', unfortunately. If a long-time, powerful senator wants to retain his job until death, it isn't how well he has satisfied his constituents, many of whom are undemanding, after all, but how well he has satisfied the special interests which are vested in him.

I saw the other day that Pat Leahy, senator from Vermont, who was the local DA in my home town when I was growing up, got reelected to yet another term. That is his 8th. By the time it is done, if he lives through it, that will make 48 years. He is generally despised by every Vermonter I know, but no one of significance ever runs against him. I suspect if he ever had to move back 'home', he wouldn't know where it was.  Do you suppose that Vermont wouldn't benefit, after 48 years, by having a different point of view in that senate seat?   

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Pat B

Quote from: Scarpia on November 10, 2016, 12:17:05 PM
The "Trump is not my president" demonstration is stupid. It just gives Trump cover to ignore the constituencies that did not support him. They need to acknowledge that he is their president, and hold his feet to the fire for everything he does that is detrimental

+1

What did Obama say? "Don't boo. Vote." If you look at the turnout numbers and these protesters, they clearly missed the point.

What the Ds need to be doing now is working on 2018 (where they're playing defense in the Senate) and 2020. The first priority is to clean house at the DNC. The time to start was yesterday.

Todd

Quote from: Pat B on November 10, 2016, 04:47:36 PMWhat the Ds need to be doing now is working on 2018 (where they're playing defense in the Senate) and 2020. The first priority is to clean house at the DNC. The time to start was yesterday.

You ain't kidding.  The Democrats shit the bed.  We now are stuck with the worst outcome imaginable: single party control of the White House and Congress.  (Party doesn't matter.)  Given the electoral map in 2018, Democrats must hope for Trump to make many, major unforced errors, because it does not look good for them now.  Divided government now, divided government tomorrow, divided government forever!

Dems can take solace in the near certainty that there will be a recession in the next four years, with or without fiscal policy changes (though large-scale great power war could head it off), and that it is basically impossible for a president to win reelection under such circumstances.

All that written, I find the current hand-wringing by Dems, the anxiety (yes, anxiety!) many profess to feel, and the puerile, idiotic demonstrations against the results of an open, free, and fair election to be most entertaining.  I doubt the protestors understand that it doesn't help endear them to those who voted for Trump, it doesn't bind wounds, etc.  Good stuff.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: snyprrr on November 10, 2016, 02:39:22 PM
Clinton's gonna try have T sassynated and win the runoff with Pence before Electoral College convenes on Nov.18

Two possibilities:
1) Bribing the electors who will meet on Dec. 19th
2) Presidential pardon for Hillary

Racking up the turmoil on the streets might be a way of influencing the first.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Pat B

Quote from: Todd on November 10, 2016, 05:47:04 PM
You ain't kidding.  The Democrats shit the bed.  We now are stuck with the worst outcome imaginable: single party control of the White House and Congress.  (Party doesn't matter.)  Given the electoral map in 2018, Democrats must hope for Trump to make many, major unforced errors, because it does not look good for them now.  Divided government now, divided government tomorrow, divided government forever!

The Ds will not retake the Senate no matter how many unforced errors Trump makes. He could nuke Houston, and Cruz -- or whatever Republican -- would still carry Texas. (If he nuked Austin then Texas voters would see that as a positive.) Nevada is the only decent chance for a D pickup and that would still leave them in the minority.

Turner

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on November 10, 2016, 08:10:03 PM
Two possibilities:
1) Bribing the electors who will meet on Dec. 19th
2) Presidential pardon for Hillary

Racking up the turmoil on the streets might be a way of influencing the first.

Indeed, Trump is now telling the world that they are paid protestors:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/796900183955095552

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on November 10, 2016, 05:47:04 PM
All that written, I find the current hand-wringing by Dems, the anxiety (yes, anxiety!) many profess to feel, and the puerile, idiotic demonstrations against the results of an open, free, and fair election to be most entertaining.  I doubt the protestors understand that it doesn't help endear them to those who voted for Trump, it doesn't bind wounds, etc.  Good stuff.

First and foremost, I am delighted to see you back, for as long as is convenient for you to tarry among us (up to and including perpetuity).

Second, and only incidentally, since the data point will contribute to your entertainment, last night I had a nightmare (nothing political in its content) such that I have never had in my life (in content) and, if ever, not for a long long time (in severity).

You're welcome.  (Why you should find that entertaining, is entirely up to you.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

James

Everyone should now get behind their President and hope for the best. And remember Trump can't do it all by himself. People revolting when the guy has barely even started the actual job is just a tad premature.
Action is the only truth

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 11, 2016, 01:57:20 AM
First and foremost, I am delighted to see you back, for as long as is convenient for you to tarry among us (up to and including perpetuity).

Second, and only incidentally, since the data point will contribute to your entertainment, last night I had a nightmare (nothing political in its content) such that I have never had in my life (in content) and, if ever, not for a long long time (in severity).

You're welcome.  (Why you should find that entertaining, is entirely up to you.)

To be clear, I agree that the protests, even where peaceful, are pointless, and where violent, criminal.

And lest I appear niggardly in serving too little entertainment, my family of immigrant citizens have slept very poorly this week.  For myself, I am sure it will pass, as I seem in some respects to be rather an ox.  But if suffering entertains you, knock yourself out.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: James on November 11, 2016, 02:21:06 AM
Everyone should now get behind their President and hope for the best. And remember Trump can't do it all by himself. People revolting when the guy has barely even started the actual job is just a tad premature.

Oh, indeed.  I remember so well the generous support Obama got from the other side of the aisle, plus the Republicans' lunatic fringe they did nothing to belay eg: the accusations on late night radio of his being the reincarnation of Hitler AND Stalin (!), how he wasn't even a citizen of these United States...the death threats (over 30 per day according to the Secret Service, mostly racial in motivation). Obama weathered all this with his typical good grace (at least publically), perhaps the time for such has past.
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: James on November 11, 2016, 02:21:06 AM

Everyone should do what their own conscience and sense of priority impels them to do, so long as there's no violence towards others or their property. This election was won by a vagary of the electoral college system and not the popular vote, and to lecture people by saying they ought to support someone whom they have felt good reason to despise for over a year is a tad inappropriate. As for reaction from the new powers-that-be, we've had ass-kisser-in-chief Rudy Giuliani refer to the protestors as "cry-babies," and the only comment from Trump is that "Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!"

This is really bringing the country together big-time. And for those who disdain the protestors, it's nice to sneer at people who feel anxiety over this election so long as you're white and native-born.

A true president-elect facing opposition should step up to the plate, call for calm, ask for people to give him a fair chance. Not whine about the alleged "unfairness" of the objections. Yeah, it's only been a couple of days but the ball is now in Trump's court, and so far he's fumbling big-time.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on November 11, 2016, 03:49:52 AM
Oh, indeed.  I remember so well the generous support Obama got from the other side of the aisle, plus the Republicans' lunatic fringe they did nothing to belay eg: the accusations on late night radio of his being the reincarnation of Hitler AND Stalin (!), how he wasn't even a citizen of these United States...the death threats (over 30 per day according to the Secret Service, mostly racial in motivation). Obama weathered all this with his typical good grace (at least publically), perhaps the time for such has past.

Well said. Let's not forget Mitch McConnell from day one determined to oppose everything Obama might do and wishing nothing more than for him to be a one-term president.

Karl Henning

"Because I won, it was a very open and successful presidential election."

(I paraphrase, only slightly.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 11, 2016, 04:00:45 AM
"Because I won, it was a very open and successful presidential election."

(I paraphrase, only slightly.)

Of course. Had Hillary won, it would have been rigged. (Despite all attempts at voter suppression of minorities.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 11, 2016, 04:06:50 AM
Of course. Had Hillary won, it would have been rigged. (Despite all attempts at voter suppression of minorities.)

Q.E.D.!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ahinton

Speculations abound as to whether President Elect Trump might be impeachable for this, that or the other between now and the day in January when he would otherwise assume Presidential office, yielding yet another parallel with Brexit in UK where some MPs have already declared their intention to vote against the triggering of Article 50 and the House of Lords might derail that action yet further, as indeed could the outcomes of any or all of the legal challenges that are pending; how likely success in either might be is anyone's guess who's prepared to guess. All of this serves only to foster ever greater uncertainty, confusion and instability but might yet also come to be compounded by overarching embarrassment. Imagine if UK is forced to abandon Brexit after (and despite) "the people having spoken" or Trump's Presidency cancelled as a consequence of his impeachment when, again, "the people have spoken" (although 337,636 more of them have so far spoken for Clinton than for Trump); one might well wonder what "the people" of UK and US will think about what it is that they have "spoken" ultimately being ignored and the platitudes about "the will of the people" being overturned (if ever they are so).

James

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 11, 2016, 03:53:24 AMA true president-elect facing opposition should step up to the plate, call for calm, ask for people to give him a fair chance.

Which is exactly what he did with his victory speech.
Action is the only truth

ahinton

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 11, 2016, 04:06:50 AM
But Hillary did win the majority of votes, so it must have been rigged even though she lost the presidency! Funny how Trump's not complained about that...

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: sanantonio on November 11, 2016, 03:54:47 AM
Saying in essence "mommy he hit me first" is childish and leads nowhere.  We have a new president and a new opportunity in this country.  Focusing on partisan talking points does not help solve any of the problems facing us.

Sanantonio, I think even you will forgive me for being unable to summon the least bit o' trust for someone who did so much to sow discord, hate, and distrust in a country that so needed something more positive.  We are a sick nation; Trump deliberately appealed to the political, racial, gender and 'other' differences that split us apart.  He made them worse.  To call for unity after that performance is disingenuous at best.  A splendid opportunity for the kind of 'healing' he is expecting to receive just by saying the word is the kind he himself refuses to give - a sincere apology from Trump for his leadership in the 'birther movement'.  This is our President-elect.  Psychologists know that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior - expect nothing but self-serving bluster from the man. At best (?  :laugh:)he will likely be a Republican puppet president in the  G.W. Bush mold.
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.