Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)

Started by kishnevi, November 09, 2016, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2019, 08:51:22 AM
In which case your boilerplate was an especial waste of good oxygen.

What boilerplate are you talking about?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on October 17, 2019, 08:33:53 AM
I am not complaining about the US getting out of Syria, I am complaining about the idiotic way Trump is doing it. He should have consulted UN or Syrian forces to come to support the Kurds before US gets out so that Turkey can't attack.

In other words, he should have brokered an international politico-military agreement between conflicting, possibly irreconcilable parties, and seen to it that it was implemented exactly as agreed. Besides being far above his diplomatic capacities (actually, far above any living person's diplomatic capacities) such a thing would have required months, possibly years of negotiations with no certain outcome. Don't you realize the absurdity of this suggestion?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2019, 10:54:37 AM
In other words, he should have brokered an international politico-military agreement between conflicting, possibly irreconcilable parties, and seen to it that it was implemented exactly as agreed. Besides being far above his diplomatic capacities (actually, far above any living person's diplomatic capacities) such a thing would have required months, possibly years of negotiations with no certain outcome. Don't you realize the absurdity of this suggestion?

Yes,a very difficult task even for someone who actually has negotiating skill.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

People on the ground are better able to make decisions they can enforce because they have guns, and if one of the parties is the U.S. it won't require as much massacre. Fighting ISIS and protecting the Kurdish zone at the same time was an accomplishment worth preserving.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on October 17, 2019, 11:29:20 AM
     Fighting ISIS and protecting the Kurdish zone at the same time was an accomplishment worth preserving.

I asked before but got no concrete answer: were there any specific objectives officially laid down when the US troops were deployed in Syria?

71 dB

No, I don't. If you can't come to an agreement then don't leave. It was a small group of souldiers anyway. The US have massive troops all over the middle east ready to come home without ramifications as serious as in the Northern Syria. "Anti-war Trump" has sent thousands of troops to Saudi-Arabia while bringing a few soldiers back from N. Syyria.

Florestan

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2019, 11:35:48 AM
I asked before but got no concrete answer: were there any specific objectives officially laid down when the US troops were deployed in Syria?

I'm certain there were. No doubt they evolved as the war progressed. We and the Kurds fought all the way from Mosul in Iraq to Raqqa in Syria to destroy ISIS from 2014 until a few days ago.

Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve

The countries that directly participated in this part of the campaign were the United States (accounting for 75-80% of airstrikes on its own), Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Belgium, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

BasilValentine

Through freedom of information requests, Pro Publica has found evidence of what looks like systematic tax fraud by the Trump Organization:

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-never-before-seen-trump-tax-documents-show-major-inconsistencies

Of course, all of Trump's seed money was a product of tax fraud years ago, but this is evidence of fraud not subject to the statute of limitations.

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on October 17, 2019, 11:47:08 AM
"Anti-war Trump" has sent thousands of troops to Saudi-Arabia while bringing a few soldiers back from N. Syyria.

Trump unvirtuously signaled his support for MBS, though given the attack on the oil facilities it's generic statecraft to do this kind of thing.

We might stop the Yemen war and sink some IRG navy boats. The war is stoppable and so are the boats.

drogulus

drogulus

Mulvaney just volunteered to have all fingers point to him. He's attaching a rat to his face as a pure act of generosity. Except Trump, Trump gets his own rat.

After saying Trump held back aid to pressure Ukraine, Mulvaney tries to walk back comments

Honesty is the best policy, I never did what I said I did.

SimonNZ

Is anyone asking when all these ISIS prisoners released through Trump's bungling are going to turn up in America, or start planning something retaliatory?

I'm amazed the talking heads aren't yelling this as loud as they can.

SimonNZ

Quote from: BasilValentine on October 17, 2019, 05:41:28 AM
Last week someone claiming to be the president of the United States (the signature was illegible) wrote an inane and childish letter to Recep Tayyip Erdogan concerning recent events in NE Syria. The president of Turkey seems to have taken the letter, quoted below, as a joke:

October 9, 2019

Dear Mr. President:

Let's work out a good deal! You don't want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don't want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy—I will. I've already given you a little sample with respect to Pastor Brunson.

I have worked hard to solve some of your problems. Don't let the world down. You can make a great deal. General Mazloum is willing too negotiate with you, and he is willing to make concessions that they would never have made in the past. I am confidentially enclosing a copy of his letter to me, just received.

History will look upon you favorably if you get this done the right and humane way. It will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!

I will call you later.

Sincerely,

[Illegible]

"Wot? No Elton John cd?"

Turkey's Erdogan 'threw Trump's Syria letter in bin'

SimonNZ

Confirmed (con-firmed):

Trump has awarded next year's G-7 summit of world leaders to his Miami-area resort, the White House said

"President Trump has awarded the 2020 Group of Seven summit of world leaders to his private company, scheduling the summit for June at his Trump National Doral Miami golf resort in Florida, the White House announced Thursday.

That decision is without precedent in modern American history: The president used his public office to direct a huge contract to himself.

Trump's Doral resort — set among office parks near Miami International Airport — has been in sharp decline in recent years, according to the Trump Organization's own records. Its net operating income fell 69 percent from 2015 to 2017; a Trump Organization representative testified last year that the reason was Trump's damaged brand.

Now, the G-7 summit will draw hundreds of diplomats, journalists and security personnel to the resort during one of its slowest months of the year, when Miami is hot and the hotel is often less than 40 percent full. It will also provide a worldwide spotlight for the club."

SimonNZ

Dems say Trump has meltdown at Syria meeting, calls Pelosi a 'third-rate politician'

"Wednesday's White House meeting on Syria deteriorated into a "meltdown" as Republican and Democratic leaders presented a unified front against President Donald Trump on his decision to abandon Kurdish fighters in Syria.

The two top House Democrats and the party's top senator emerged from the West Wing following what they said was a substance-free and insult-filled few minutes with Trump. In a reverse of their last meeting with Trump on infrastructure in which he stormed out on the Democratic leaders, this time they walked out on him.

Trump earlier brushed aside a reporter's question about him being face-to-face with Speaker Nancy Pelosi amid the impeachment inquiry. But when he and Pelosi were in the same room, she and other Democratic leaders said the president lost his cool.

Pelosi went so far as to tell reporters they had just witnessed the president have a full-fledged "meltdown."

"We were offended. ... He was insulting," Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer told reporters outside of the White House. The New York Democrat said Trump called Pelosi a "third-rate politician."

Back at the Capitol, Pelosi told reporters Trump called her a "third-grade politician" and that she responded, "I wish you were a politician."

According to the Democrats, the president's remarks in the meeting turned into a "nasty diatribe."

At one point, they said, he contended "communists" are now among the Islamic State group's ranks, telling the Democrats "and you guys might like that."

During public remarks, including at campaign rallies and official events, the president is fond of charging Pelosi with having lost control of her caucus, and being forced to take marching orders from her most far-left members.

On the subject they came to discuss, Syria and Kurdish forces being overrun by Turkish troops, Schumer said Trump "didn't really have one," meaning a plan to prevent ISIS from gaining strength in northern Syria.

"Then why did we spend a decade ... trying to defeat ISIS if the president is going to do this on a whim?" Schumer said.

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland said he has never seen any president disrespect a congressional leader in such a way. The meeting deteriorated and the president started lobbying insults after Pelosi and Schumer questioned  what his plan was moving forward after withdrawing U.S. troops that were helping the Kurds, he said.

Hoyer, like Schumer, thought Trump had called Pelosi a "third-rate politician," note a "third-grade" one as she heard but said the president used the retort at least three times.

"It was obvious that the meeting was going to get angrier and more defensive," Hoyer said at the Capitol. "We felt that the meeting was no longer a meeting which we thought we would get useful discussion and results. So we left."[...]

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 17, 2019, 06:08:54 PM
Confirmed (con-firmed):

Trump has awarded next year's G-7 summit of world leaders to his Miami-area resort, the White House said

"President Trump has awarded the 2020 Group of Seven summit of world leaders to his private company, scheduling the summit for June at his Trump National Doral Miami golf resort in Florida, the White House announced Thursday.

That decision is without precedent in modern American history: The president used his public office to direct a huge contract to himself.

Trump's Doral resort — set among office parks near Miami International Airport — has been in sharp decline in recent years, according to the Trump Organization's own records. Its net operating income fell 69 percent from 2015 to 2017; a Trump Organization representative testified last year that the reason was Trump's damaged brand.

Now, the G-7 summit will draw hundreds of diplomats, journalists and security personnel to the resort during one of its slowest months of the year, when Miami is hot and the hotel is often less than 40 percent full. It will also provide a worldwide spotlight for the club."

I live too close to actually want a hurricane to hit Miami in July...but perhaps we can pray that a tropical storm comes close enough to completely bollox preparations for the summit?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk