Reinhold Gliere (1875-1956)

Started by vandermolen, April 08, 2007, 02:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

I never see the Botstein one mentioned. Is it supposed to be terrible? Personally I really like it!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Luke on April 23, 2023, 11:18:37 PMI never see the Botstein one mentioned. Is it supposed to be terrible? Personally I really like it!

Botstein has for me the dead hand of efficiency and almost no inspiration.... ever!  One of my greatest sorrows is that he was given the chance to perform and record Foulds' "A World Requiem".  Not only does that performance enshrine one of the worst most squally sopranos ever I have a nagging sense of cetainty that it is a far finer and more powerful work than that performance (I was there!!) suggests.

Botstein is one of those conductors who seems at his best when there is no viable competition or comparative versions.  I applaud his adventurous programming but suspect he knows his own strengths which in part dictates that programming.

PS:  I have that version of Il'ya Murometz and almost never play it - Telarc SACD engineering and the LSO not withstanding which tells you something.......

Luke

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 24, 2023, 02:01:25 AMBotstein has for me the dead hand of efficiency and almost no inspiration.... ever!  One of my greatest sorrows is that he was given the chance to perform and record Foulds' "A World Requiem".  Not only does that performance enshrine one of the worst most squally sopranos ever I have a nagging sense of cetainty that it is a far finer and more powerful work than that performance (I was there!!) suggests.

Botstein is one of those conductors who seems at his best when there is no viable competition or comparative versions.  I applaud his adventurous programming but suspect he knows his own strengths which in part dictates that programming.

PS:  I have that version of Il'ya Murometz and almost never play it - Telarc SACD engineering and the LSO not withstanding which tells you something.......

;D  I stand corrected! As I say, I enjoy listening to it, and I prefer it to other versions I have. It seems to me to hit all the right beats as far as this piece goes - at least in one reading of what kind of a piece it is. I'm interested to hear it done with emphasis on its other aspects.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 23, 2023, 10:52:03 PMI had the same query and checked the YouTube listing - no date but a recording (presumably in concert) by the WDR Koln - the YouTube poster mentions a brief radio-caused fade-out
Thanks RS. That solves the mystery.

Ormandy's was significantly cut but the Rakhlin seems pretty long (in a good sense!) to me. I enjoyed the Botstein but it's not one of my favourite versions. I like Faberman, Ormandy, Rakhlin and Falletta. I was at the Foulds 'World Requiem' concert as well - a great evening.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on April 23, 2023, 10:44:19 PMIs that a live Concert? I wasn't aware of any recording by any Jarvi!

Yes, I think it's a concert performance and not available other than this radio broadcast. 

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 24, 2023, 02:01:25 AMBotstein has for me the dead hand of efficiency and almost no inspiration.... ever!  One of my greatest sorrows is that he was given the chance to perform and record Foulds' "A World Requiem".  Not only does that performance enshrine one of the worst most squally sopranos ever I have a nagging sense of cetainty that it is a far finer and more powerful work than that performance (I was there!!) suggests.

Totally agree - Botstein is an almost universally dull conductor.  I tend to avoid him just because anytime I hear his releases, they underwhelm or just lack imagination and energy.  Very meh.  Like you, the only time I can handle him is when he is doing repertoire without any competition. 

Symphonic Addict

And there's this recording:

As far as I remember, it's good but I didn't feel it special.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 23, 2023, 07:55:24 AMHow do you rate this piece?

Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Joann Falletta.

Hi WA ... what do you like about this symphony? Do you enjoy other Russians?

I have very much enjoyed hearing Glière's other symphonies today.

It would be good to see you sharing a little of what you like and why 🙂. Great way for us to get to know you!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: Løvfald on April 24, 2023, 03:36:20 PMAnd there's this recording:

As far as I remember, it's good but I didn't feel it special.
I liked it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 25, 2023, 08:02:29 AMHi WA ... what do you like about this symphony? Do you enjoy other Russians?

I have very much enjoyed hearing Glière's other symphonies today.

It would be good to see you sharing a little of what you like and why 🙂. Great way for us to get to know you!

Hi, I didn't like it so much. I took only the last movement.

My favourite composers at the moment are Mozart and Mendelssohn, maybe even Beethoven if we only count the orchestral works.

I still have to find an equivalent composer in russian music. No, I'm not a fan of Tchaikovsky in general.

I'm also a fan of the cinematic classical: John Williams, James Horner, Alan Menken,...

I mostly like orchestral music (symphonies, concertos, incidental music including film scores), but I also like chamber music. I'm not a great fan of works for solo instruments, but this doesn't mean that there are not piano sonatas that I enjoy (I only think that the same tunes would be better with more instruments).

I like melodic music. Not necessarily 100% tonal, but with a sense of melody. Some people say that melody is not everything and I agree, but for me it's still an essential ingredient for good music.
I can enjoy everything from baroque music to contemproary music: the important thing is that the music is melodic.

I don't hate music which is not classical, but I'm only really interested in classical music at the moment, so I don't actively listen to other genres of music.

foxandpeng

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 30, 2023, 04:23:20 AMHi, I didn't like it so much. I took only the last movement.

My favourite composers at the moment are Mozart and Mendelssohn, maybe even Beethoven if we only count the orchestral works.

I still have to find an equivalent composer in russian music. No, I'm not a fan of Tchaikovsky in general.

I'm also a fan of the cinematic classical: John Williams, James Horner, Alan Menken,...

I mostly like orchestral music (symphonies, concertos, incidental music including film scores), but I also like chamber music. I'm not a great fan of works for solo instruments, but this doesn't mean that there are not piano sonatas that I enjoy (I only think that the same tunes would be better with more instruments).

I like melodic music. Not necessarily 100% tonal, but with a sense of melody. Some people say that melody is not everything and I agree, but for me it's still an essential ingredient for good music.
I can enjoy everything from baroque music to contemproary music: the important thing is that the music is melodic.

I don't hate music which is not classical, but I'm only really interested in classical music at the moment, so I don't actively listen to other genres of music.

How lovely to hear from you 😊. Good to hear some of your likes. It would be good to hear even more of your thoughts as you read the different threads. Like you, I really enjoy other genres of music, but classical is a big focus for me. I do tend to look outside classical for melodies, mind 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Florestan

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 30, 2023, 04:23:20 AMMy favourite composers at the moment are Mozart and Mendelssohn, maybe even Beethoven if we only count the orchestral works.

Anton Rubinstein and Mili Balakirev might be right up your alley.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brian

Another Russian composer who took a lot of inspiration from Mendelssohn etc. while creating "Russian" music was Glinka.

DavidW

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 30, 2023, 04:23:20 AMHi, I didn't like it so much. I took only the last movement.

I still have to find an equivalent composer in russian music.

Glazunov and Myaskovsky were pretty good tunesmiths.  If you haven't tried them before...

Brian

You've just inspired me to put on Glazunov's string quintet while I read this Agatha Christie!

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on April 30, 2023, 07:40:00 AMAnother Russian composer who took a lot of inspiration from Mendelssohn etc. while creating "Russian" music was Glinka.

Yes, Glinka too, good call. Also, Taneyev's string trios are quite Mendelssohnian but WAM prefers orchestral music --- and now that I think of it, Lyadov and Kalinnikov might fit in his bill as well. And there's also that guy, a purveyor of unabashedly melodic music, Rachmaninoff.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Roy Bland

IMHO symphonies aren't best part of Gliere's output,he does best in concerts and ballets

W.A. Mozart

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try with some works of the composers you suggested.

Symphonic Addict

A very cool photo of Ippolitov-Ivanov, Stokowski and Glière:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky