Adolphus Hailstork (1941-)

Started by kyjo, July 23, 2018, 03:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Hailstork is a contemporary African-American composer whose powerfully moving Symphony no. 2 I just discovered today. From the Naxos liner notes:

"In the summer of 1996, I took a trip to Africa. There I visited the forts along the coast of Ghana, and saw the dungeons where the slaves were held before being shipped overseas. I put my reaction to that sad scene in movement two of this symphony. In movement four I sought to reflect the determination of a people who had arrived in America as slaves, but struggled, with courage and faith, against numerous odds."

It's a dark work, beginning with a quiet string chord interrupted by vicious brass chords. The second movement is notable for its mournful cor anglais solos and unsettling, mysterious drum beats. A nervous energy characterizes the third movement, and carries into the fourth movement as well but there are some more optimistic, dance-like sections in the latter. These are contrasted by anxious, almost nightmarish sections that rather put me in mind of Arnold's 6th and 7th symphonies, but ultimately, a triumphant, defiant ending is attained (barely). I highly recommend this symphony to anyone who enjoys tonal, substantial contemporary symphonies and it proves that the symphony is far from dead. I eagerly await exploration of more of Hailstork's music!

[asin]B000L42JAO[/asin]

https://youtu.be/ZasNkYyrEJQ
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

relm1

I love "tonal, substantial contemporary" symphonies and am enjoying this one now.  Thanks for introducing it to us.

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on July 24, 2018, 06:31:01 AM
I love "tonal, substantial contemporary" symphonies and am enjoying this one now.  Thanks for introducing it to us.

Glad you enjoyed it!  :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

I purchased the CD in 2008 but I can't remember much about it, which suggests that it didn't make much of an impression on me t the time. However, following Kyle's enthusiastic review I should listen to it again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

An extract from one of his symphonies was played on the radio a few days ago. It sounded really good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2018, 10:21:06 AM
An extract from one of his symphonies was played on the radio a few days ago. It sounded really good.

Any idea which one? I haven't heard nos. 1 and 3, but I'm sure they're good.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 13, 2018, 02:05:53 PM
Any idea which one? I haven't heard nos. 1 and 3, but I'm sure they're good.

No sure Kyle but I suspect that it was the slow movement of symphonies 2 or 3.

PS I just checked and it was the Adagio from Symphony 1 with JoAnn Falletta conducting.