Lili Boulanger (1893-1918)

Started by Leggiero, November 25, 2016, 02:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leggiero

One of musical history's great prematurely deceased "what ifs". My ramblings-on about her Psalm 130 setting, etc. can be found here:https://leggierosite.wordpress.com/2...oulanger-girl/

[For anyone who may have happened across a near-identical post to this on another forum, yes, I'm shamelessly repeating myself in the hope of generating further discussion!]

Rinaldo

Finally took some time to explore her works and I'm hooked. Brooding and longing and unafraid to shift gears.

D'un soir triste
https://www.youtube.com/v/1OERJAjoHRY

Reminds me of Kaprálová, also an immense talent lost way too soon.

Leggiero

Thank you for the Kaprálová link - I'll get exploring! Your comments about Boulanger (not to mention the Martinů connection, which I find intriguing) suggest that you and I may look for very similar things in music...

vandermolen

Can't not revive her thread after hearing her wonderful 'Pour les funerailles d'un soldat' at a concert which had a War and Remembrance theme in London last night. I shall be listening to more of her beautifully poetic and eloquent music.
[asin]B000026BMT[/asin]
The above is a wonderful disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Leggiero

Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2018, 03:39:20 AM
Can't not revive her thread after hearing her wonderful 'Pour les funerailles d'un soldat' at a concert which had a War and Remembrance theme in London last night. I shall be listening to more of her beautifully poetic and eloquent music.
[asin]B000026BMT[/asin]
The above is a wonderful disc.

Thanks for the tip!

vandermolen

Quote from: Leggiero on August 13, 2018, 08:36:13 AM
Thanks for the tip!
I'm sure that you'd love the CD. I played it right through three times today. What a loss she was - only 24.
She was the real thing, as my daughter and I agreed at the concert last night.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).