Abbey Road Studios Classical Master Tapes

Started by Patrick99, February 15, 2024, 06:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick99

I have hundreds of Abbey Rd Studios Classical Music Master Tapes. I'm just wondering whether it's worth listing some to sell. They are all from the 1990s and cover a wide range of conductors orchestras etc.and are great items of memorabilia.

Would they be of interest to anyone ?

DavidW

Quote from: Patrick99 on February 15, 2024, 06:26:11 AMI have hundreds of Abbey Rd Studios Classical Music Master Tapes. I'm just wondering whether it's worth listing some to sell. They are all from the 1990s and cover a wide range of conductors orchestras etc.and are great items of memorabilia.

Would they be of interest to anyone ?

There is still good money to be made on Ebay for classical recordings in any and all formats.  I would say go for it.  Even in the era of streaming, the used physical market is still alive and kicking.

Patrick99

I did test the water with one on EBay months ago ( Karajan plays Mozart) but hardly any views , yet the rock/ pop ones sell regularly.obviously classical music has a different audience)
The tapes are great items of memorabilia, but highly unlikely to be playable, I just wonder if there is a market for such items in this medium

Patrick99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335083633589

That's what they look like , tho mist come with a cassette case and usually label description is typed, all have the abbey road studio logo

DavidW

You can't do a normal auction.  You have to list it at a high price and wait... and wait... perhaps use Amazon MP instead of Ebay and let it sit.

Patrick99

I suspect unless I put an awful lot on even an auction wouldn't produce the views or bids. I guess I might have a sort thru some of them and put what  I think might be popular on. Thanks for your advice

71 dB

Quote from: Patrick99 on February 15, 2024, 06:26:11 AMI have hundreds of Abbey Rd Studios Classical Music Master Tapes.

How on Earth do you have them in the first place? How do HUNDREDS of master tapes get in the possession of people? Shouldn't these tapes be safely stored/locked in the vaults of Abbey Rd Studios? Has Abbey Rd Studios auctioned these tapes at some point and if so why? Quick money?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"