Variations on a late Beethoven Adagio sketch for a string quartett

Started by gprengel, April 18, 2020, 02:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gprengel

Among Beethoven's sketches for his quartett op. 130 a very beautiful Adagio tune was found by B.Cooper. I liked this theme so much that in the last 2 weeks I wrote a variation movement for string quartett on this.

It starts with the naked theme, then it is repeated with an added bass line and a second part from me, then 7 variations follow:

www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_quartett_sketch_1825_variations.mp3
www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_quartett_sketch_1825_variations.pdf

I hope it will speak to you ... any suggestions for improvement?

krummholz

As I said on the other site, I found it beautiful, especially the last variation and the plagal "Amen" with which the piece ends. My only suggestion would be to go full Beethoven and try to write variations that go much further afield, both harmonically and in transforming the theme. It's a very pregnant theme, there is much more that you could do with it. Think Op. 131 or the E Major Piano Sonata (Op.109 I think, it's been many years).

gprengel

Thank you, just as I read your post I perceived a dynamic fugato theme which I will try now as a variation :-)

krummholz

Quote from: gprengel on April 19, 2020, 02:38:48 AM
Thank you, just as I read your post I perceived a dynamic fugato theme which I will try now as a variation :-)

I look forward to it!