Mahlerian's Marquee

Started by Mahlerian, December 03, 2016, 10:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

This thread will be a place where my latest compositions are posted, and other such.

A few of you have already heard this, but my main work for this year was Scene from a Drama for flute and piano, a ~17 minute piece in three sections, fast, slow, and moderate.

https://soundcloud.com/mahlerian29/scene-from-a-drama/s-eTlJf

I'm currently working on an expansion of a short piano piece from last year.

(For bonus points, find the direct, note-for-note quotation hidden in the work.)
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Jay F

Quote from: Mahlerian on December 03, 2016, 10:25:59 AM
This thread will be a place where my latest compositions are posted, and other such.

A few of you have already heard this, but my main work for this year was Scene from a Drama for flute and piano, a ~17 minute piece in three sections, fast, slow, and moderate.

https://soundcloud.com/mahlerian29/scene-from-a-drama/s-eTlJf

I'm currently working on an expansion of a short piano piece from last year.

(For bonus points, find the direct, note-for-note quotation hidden in the work.)

I'm on my way out in 20 minutes, but I can't wait to listen to this when I get home. Thanks.

TSWO

Wow, to be honest I didn't listen to the entire piece, but from what I've heared it's impressive and well thought-out. Love the modern-yet-not-too-atonal-disonant quality it has, not sounding like 19th century music, but not being like random notes all over the place at the same time.

I'm not a real expert on composition or instrumentation so cant offer much constructive criticism there. Other than that I can see it's a private track, so it's probably just a demo version and the sound quality is not your main concern, but at times it sounded too midi-ish if you know what I mean. I would try to work on that if I were you, do a little mixing, some better sound libraries etc. ;)

Bravo!

My first orchestral composition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xBGlZt2-R4

Jay F

I like your music quite a bit. I'm now in "Mahlerian Variation."

Mahlerian

Quote from: TSWO on December 04, 2016, 10:59:36 PM
Wow, to be honest I didn't listen to the entire piece, but from what I've heared it's impressive and well thought-out. Love the modern-yet-not-too-atonal-disonant quality it has, not sounding like 19th century music, but not being like random notes all over the place at the same time.

I'm not a real expert on composition or instrumentation so cant offer much constructive criticism there. Other than that I can see it's a private track, so it's probably just a demo version and the sound quality is not your main concern, but at times it sounded too midi-ish if you know what I mean. I would try to work on that if I were you, do a little mixing, some better sound libraries etc. ;)

Bravo!

Yeah, I'm anticipating a performance at some point to replace the MIDI, which just uses Sibelius's default settings, mostly (though I amplified it a little so that it wasn't extremely quiet).

Many thanks for listening!

Quote from: Jay F on December 05, 2016, 06:03:09 AM
I like your music quite a bit. I'm now in "Mahlerian Variation."

Thank you as well.  Composing is a funny thing.  You may be able to judge your own efforts, but don't know if it's going to work for others or not until someone else gets to hear the results.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mahlerian

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

The work I listened to didn't do much for me, although I recognize the inventiveness of the work that I heard.

Jay F

I like these:

Woodwind Canon

At Rest

Mahlerian Variation

Se Il Padre Perdei (I like this one a lot.)

Mahlerian

Quote from: Jay F on December 10, 2016, 11:00:12 AMSe Il Padre Perdei (I like this one a lot.)

Well, I can only take partial credit for it, as that one is an arrangement of an aria by Mozart.

Mahlerian

Two older pieces of mine that I've created newer renditions of:

Haiku, for piano

Flutter, for alto flute solo

ComposerOfAvantGarde

These are cool! Quite dense pieces but satisfying to listen to...actually I haven't heard them all just yet but are there any which are actual recordings of instruments?

Crudblud

The new version of Flutter is engrossing. Well done.

Mahlerian

Quote from: jessop on December 18, 2016, 09:28:52 PMThese are cool! Quite dense pieces but satisfying to listen to...

Heh...one composer I showed Flutter to said that I put in too many ideas right at the beginning, and should repeat them more.  My music always seems very transparent to me, but I suppose that's in large part because it's so familiar.

Quote from: jessop on December 18, 2016, 09:28:52 PMactually I haven't heard them all just yet but are there any which are actual recordings of instruments?

Not yet, but a friend may be taking on Flutter in the spring.

MarkMcD

Hi Mahlerian,

I have to tell you that I'm not a lover of a lot of modern music, and when I saw that were 17 mins of your piece, I thought I wouldn't get through it all, but then I did listen to it all and I liked quite a lot.  I suspect that given several listens, it would grow on me even more. 

The only things I didn't like were the flute trills.  I wasn't sure if was meant to be a trill or if you were looking for the exact sound that you present in the piece, but it did (for me at least) spoil the aesthetic a bit.  I use Sibelius too and you can change the length and speed of the trills if you want, or even just write them manually if it doesn't sound as you wanted, it does spoil the look of the score to do it manually, but at least it will sound as you want.  There were also a couple of clashes in the piano that sounded a tad too deconstructed for me, by that I mean that it sounded like a fist just hitting the keyboard, again that probably is exactly what you wanted, but it did jar me a bit from time to time.

Apart from that, I did buy into the mood and the drama of the piece and was held there until the end, which for me with a modern work, is no mean feat.  :)

Mahlerian

Quote from: MarkMcD on December 21, 2016, 12:35:57 PM
Hi Mahlerian,

I have to tell you that I'm not a lover of a lot of modern music, and when I saw that were 17 mins of your piece, I thought I wouldn't get through it all, but then I did listen to it all and I liked quite a lot.  I suspect that given several listens, it would grow on me even more. 

Many thanks for listening.

Quote from: MarkMcD on December 21, 2016, 12:35:57 PMThe only things I didn't like were the flute trills.  I wasn't sure if was meant to be a trill or if you were looking for the exact sound that you present in the piece, but it did (for me at least) spoil the aesthetic a bit.  I use Sibelius too and you can change the length and speed of the trills if you want, or even just write them manually if it doesn't sound as you wanted, it does spoil the look of the score to do it manually, but at least it will sound as you want.

There aren't many trills.  Perhaps you meant the fluttertongue?  If so, it is certainly the sound I wanted.

Quote from: MarkMcD on December 21, 2016, 12:35:57 PMThere were also a couple of clashes in the piano that sounded a tad too deconstructed for me, by that I mean that it sounded like a fist just hitting the keyboard, again that probably is exactly what you wanted, but it did jar me a bit from time to time.

Well, none of the harmonies are meant to be heard as pure noise; there is a recurring polychord that is rather dissonant, though.  I hear all of the notes as adding harmonic color, but I can see how the effect might seem rather outre to one who doesn't listen to much modernist music.

Quote from: MarkMcD on December 21, 2016, 12:35:57 PMApart from that, I did buy into the mood and the drama of the piece and was held there until the end, which for me with a modern work, is no mean feat.  :)

Much appreciated!

Mahlerian

Flutter is to be performed (and a recording produced) this March by a friend at her recital.  Now I just have to write a program note...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Overtones

Quote from: Mahlerian on January 17, 2017, 09:06:13 AM
Flutter is to be performed (and a recording produced) this March by a friend at her recital.  Now I just have to write a program note...
Congratulations!

I like that piece the most out of the ones I've heard from you

Mahlerian

How Not to Compose

https://www.youtube.com/v/QJiTc1jFoDw

Go to Youtube to read the annotations and get the full experience.