The Byways of Modern American Piano Recitals

Started by snyprrr, December 04, 2016, 03:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

1) Copland: The Smits/SONY set seems the most likely candidate,- the sound seems okaaay,- is there anyone who has the kind of recorded sound that might transport these "ugly" pieces? (of course, only those 2-3)

2) 'Concord': a toss up between Aimard and Hamelin (Hyperion or NewWorld?- ???). I seemed to like Hamelin's NewWorld sample better than Aimard's, and that seemed to be totally at the hands of the engineers: the NewWorld has their typically sumptuous and close-mic'd sound, and the Warners had a more "cold and clinical" sound (which may not be sooo bad).

Also, where is the original issue of Aimard's '3 Quarter-Tone Pieces' with Lubimov?

snyprrr

I need an answer NOOOW!! I gotz me an itchy trigger finger- I don't know how long I can hold out :P

snyprrr

ok, maybe I should just wait for SONY to wake up and issue the 9CD Box... what are the odds?

As for the Ives, Hamelin is just so joyous and having a good time, and the NewWorld sound is perfect for him... compares to the Hyperion?...

Maybe I dodged a bullet?

snyprrr

anyway, here's the Pianists I'm looking into:

Hamelin
Boriskin
Feinberg (already,check)
P.Serkin (already, check)
Alan Marks (check)
Karis (no)
Barry Douglas Webern???!!!
Hough (only adventurous 20th)

North Star

This is the one you need for Concord, and it handily has the 3 Quarter-tone pieces, too.
[asin]B00007KI18[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Monsieur Croche

Composer/pianist Easley Blackwood has been doing the Ives for decades, and is considered a 'highly authoritative' performer of it... (Current parlance might have it said, 'he owns it.')
On the Cedille label, with some other rep you're wanting.

link has some audio clips you can check.

http://www.cedillerecords.org/albums/easley-blackwood-piano-sonatas-by-ives-and-copland

Best regards
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on December 04, 2016, 09:04:30 PM
This is the one you need for Concord, and it handily has the 3 Quarter-tone pieces, too.
[asin]B00007KI18[/asin]

Are you rating Aimard higher than Hamelin, ... it's just that when you use the word "need", that indicates "stop searching NOW!!". You don't find that recording "clinical", as opposed to the NewWorld Hamelin (which I found warm and friendly on YT)? However, with the 3QTP, instead of the songs, this certainly is in the Top3...

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on December 04, 2016, 10:18:05 PM
Composer/pianist Easley Blackwood has been doing the Ives for decades, and is considered a 'highly authoritative' performer of it... (Current parlance might have it said, 'he owns it.')
On the Cedille label, with some other rep you're wanting.

link has some audio clips you can check.

http://www.cedillerecords.org/albums/easley-blackwood-piano-sonatas-by-ives-and-copland

Best regards

thanks ;)

I also stumbled across that old Peter Lawson 2CD set on Virgin, with Sonatas by Carter, Copland, Ives (No.1), Griffes, Sessions, etc.,... I'm sure not too much verification of its merits is needed...

I'm really not quite sure how I got into an American Piano Works mode,... but here I am! :o

snyprrr

I have always enjoyed Feinberg's 'The American Innovator', and even 'Facinatin' Rhythm'. How do you think I would enjoy the other two in the series, 'The American Virtuoso' and 'The American Romantic'? I know they're mostly "salon" styled... I don't know how mild I can go...

I really just want to spend some money, don't I? oy vey!! ::)

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on December 05, 2016, 04:24:43 AM
Are you rating Aimard higher than Hamelin, ... it's just that when you use the word "need", that indicates "stop searching NOW!!". You don't find that recording "clinical", as opposed to the NewWorld Hamelin (which I found warm and friendly on YT)? However, with the 3QTP, instead of the songs, this certainly is in the Top3...
The Concord is by Lubimov. It's also on YT. And note too that it has both the viola and flute parts, unlike some recordings.

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

John Kirkpatrick "owned" the Concord Sonata for many years: he knew Ives, and became probably America's top expert on the composer.

https://www.youtube.com/v/HrFEPhsNm4U
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on December 05, 2016, 04:32:17 AM
The Concord is by Lubimov. It's also on YT. And note too that it has both the viola and flute parts, unlike some recordings.

ok, yea, I was confused there... do you know what the original Apex release was? All I find is Lubimov on ZigZagTerritories, coupled with Berg and Webern.

Quote from: Cato on December 05, 2016, 05:53:23 AM
John Kirkpatrick "owned" the Concord Sonata for many years: he knew Ives, and became probably America's top expert on the composer.

https://www.youtube.com/v/HrFEPhsNm4U

That one certainly has a trail blazing quality to it that is lacking in Hamelin's "I eat sonatas like you for breakfast" approach. If I could find a Kirkpatrick rendering in Teldec sound- ??... is that Lubimov??

I was just listening to Feinberg's 'Fascinatin' Rhythm'- such a great recital!

Todd

Quote from: snyprrr on December 04, 2016, 06:47:22 PM
anyway, here's the Pianists I'm looking into:

Hamelin
Boriskin
Feinberg (already,check)
P.Serkin (already, check)
Alan Marks (check)
Karis (no)
Barry Douglas Webern???!!!
Hough (only adventurous 20th)

Add Tzimon Barto to that list.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

North Star

Quote from: snyprrr on December 05, 2016, 09:45:55 AM
ok, yea, I was confused there... do you know what the original Apex release was? All I find is Lubimov on ZigZagTerritories, coupled with Berg and Webern.

That one certainly has a trail blazing quality to it that is lacking in Hamelin's "I eat sonatas like you for breakfast" approach. If I could find a Kirkpatrick rendering in Teldec sound- ??... is that Lubimov??
   https://www.youtube.com/v/RXPSU1gOjL0
Well if you want lack of technical ability, I'm afraid Lubimov doesn't really deliver.  ;)

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on December 05, 2016, 10:01:45 AM
   https://www.youtube.com/v/RXPSU1gOjL0
Well if you want lack of technical ability, I'm afraid Lubimov doesn't really deliver.  ;)

Pretty well sold on Lubimov! ;) Hamelin sounds "great, effortless", Lubimov sounds "dark, serious"- that's what one misses in the Hamelin. Yea, great stuff there

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on December 05, 2016, 09:45:55 AM

No CD, but Kirkpatrick's 1970 stereo version is available via a download:

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Sonata-Concord-Mass-1840-60/dp/B00FKQ3WNQ/ref=sr_1_102?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1480984600&sr=1-102&keywords=Concord+Sonata&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625151011

And all the movements are available, but Amazon, an ignorant company when it comes to "our" music, has spread them throughout the "Search" results.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

Quote from: Cato on December 05, 2016, 03:39:01 PM
No CD, but Kirkpatrick's 1970 stereo version is available via a download:

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Sonata-Concord-Mass-1840-60/dp/B00FKQ3WNQ/ref=sr_1_102?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1480984600&sr=1-102&keywords=Concord+Sonata&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625151011

And all the movements are available, but Amazon, an ignorant company when it comes to "our" music, has spread them throughout the "Search" results.

Frankly, Lubimov has everything JK does, plus sound. I'm sold!

Here's my findings:

Ives 2: Lubimov

Copland: Smit

Barber, Copland, Carter, Ives3P: Lawson
Griffes, Sessions2, Ives1: Lawson

Bolcom, Wolpe: Hamelin
Ives2, Wright: Hamelin

American Virtuoso: Feinberg
American Romantic: Feinberg- already have the other two

Britten: Hough

What am I missing?