The Music Room > Composer Discussion

The Barber Chair

<< < (2/52) > >>

vandermolen:
My favourite Barber CD (historic recordings):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barber-Symphony-No-2-Samuel/dp/B00005Q637/ref=sr_1_18/026-9426194-9976463?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187024499&sr=1-18

Brewski:
Barber wrote some of my favorite pieces of music, e.g., Knoxville and the Violin Concerto.  For the former, I think Dawn Upshaw is just about ideal in the piece.  I've heard Leontyne Price, and she's very good, but Upshaw's voice seems a lighter, better fit for the material.

For the concerto, the one I first heard (and still love) is with Elmar Oliveira, Slatkin and St. Louis (originally coupled with Hanson's Symphony No. 4).  But Hilary Hahn's is excellent (I haven't listened much to the Meyer coupling). 

This is a good reminder that I need to replace an old LP of Barber's works conducted by Thomas Schippers.  It was my favorite version of the Adagio, and the first time I ever heard Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, as well as the Second Essay - wonderful works, all of them.  You don't see him programmed very much these days...

Oh and I did see a videotape of a performance of Antony and Cleopatra by the Lyric Opera of Chicago (1991, I believe) and have it lying around here somewhere.  I don't recall thinking it was "awful" by any means, but I've only heard it that one time.

--Bruce

sound67:

--- Quote from: bhodges on August 13, 2007, 11:10:12 AM ---Barber wrote some of my favorite pieces of music, e.g., Knoxville and the Violin Concerto.  For the former, I think Dawn Upshaw is just about ideal in the piece.  I've heard Leontyne Price, and she's very good, but Upshaw's voice seems a lighter, better fit for the material.

--- End quote ---

I heard the piece live with buxom (ok, fat) American soprano Christine Brewer at last year's Proms. Very fine performance, indeed.

Dawn Upshaw fits the bill real nice, too.

Brewski:

--- Quote from: sound67 on August 13, 2007, 11:20:52 AM ---I heard the piece live with buxom (ok, fat) American soprano Christine Brewer at last year's Proms. Very fine performance, indeed.

Dawn Upshaw fits the bill real nice, too.

--- End quote ---

I would imagine Brewer would be excellent in that piece.  Just found this review of a recording with Molly McGurk (new to me), and the writer mentions Netania Davrath, whom I agree would have been great in it.

--Bruce

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: bhodges on August 13, 2007, 11:10:12 AM ---Barber wrote some of my favorite pieces of music, e.g., Knoxville and the Violin Concerto.  For the former, I think Dawn Upshaw is just about ideal in the piece.  I've heard Leontyne Price, and she's very good, but Upshaw's voice seems a lighter, better fit for the material.

For the concerto, the one I first heard (and still love) is with Elmar Oliveira, Slatkin and St. Louis (originally coupled with Hanson's Symphony No. 4).  But Hilary Hahn's is excellent (I haven't listened much to the Meyer coupling). 

This is a good reminder that I need to replace an old LP of Barber's works conducted by Thomas Schippers.  It was my favorite version of the Adagio, and the first time I ever heard Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance, as well as the Second Essay - wonderful works, all of them.  You don't see him programmed very much these days...

Oh and I did see a videotape of a performance of Antony and Cleopatra by the Lyric Opera of Chicago (1991, I believe) and have it lying around here somewhere.  I don't recall thinking it was "awful" by any means, but I've only heard it that one time.

--Bruce

--- End quote ---

That Schippers CBS/Sony CD is great, I sought it out today. There was a v good David Measham Unicorn compilation, now on Regis, with a fine Symphony 1 and my own favourite Second Essay for Orchestra which is perhaps my favourite work by Barber, the last section is marvellous; a wonderfully inspiriting score.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version