The Barber Chair

Started by Szykneij, August 13, 2007, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Elnimio

Possibly the most talented American composer, ever. Not necessarily my favorite, but I think the most talented.

Scion7

I think he's underestimated due to the fact that he could write a great melody.

A quick listen to the finale to the violin concerto shows a composer who had a good sound understanding of counterpoint, for one thing.

I'd much rather listen to Barber in general than Ives or Copland - both of which wrote a good many pieces that I admire.  And Griffes has nowhere near the cachet of Barber.
His best chamber music is very admirable.

Too bad so much of his later years were somewhat wasted in depression and drink.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Leo K.

I feel a Barber phase wanting to break through, think I'll listen to the violin concerto tonight. I'll never forget hearing it live with Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg playing it, it was like an awakening in my soul.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on February 05, 2013, 07:33:15 PM
I feel a Barber phase wanting to break through, think I'll listen to the violin concerto tonight. I'll never forget hearing it live with Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg playing it, it was like an awakening in my soul.

A great composer to spend some time with no doubt. One of my favorites for sure. The Violin Concerto is incredible. Barber had such a great affinity for the melodic line in his music. Such remarkable lyricism.

Mirror Image

Spun this recording tonight:

An excellent recording of outstanding performances. Don't be put of by the somewhat abstract cover art or the fact that this was released on the Stradivarius label (a label quite known for their Italian avant-garde releases), this is a must-have for Barber fans. The Piano Concerto receives a thunderous performance. The slow movement, a personal favorite of mine, is handled with the utmost care and sensitivity. The Essays are marvelously performed. It makes me wish these same forces would have released more Barber recordings.

vandermolen

What a terrific CD this one is. It features my favourite recording of the magnificent Second Essay for Orchestra and a very moving version of 'Knoxville'. Beautiful performances and great recording. As the notes say, the Second Essay is, in effect, a Symphony.
[asin]B0001N9ZF2[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 04, 2014, 02:16:30 PM
What a terrific CD this one is. It features my favourite recording of the magnificent Second Essay for Orchestra and a very moving version of 'Knoxville'. Beautiful performances and great recording. As the notes say, the Second Essay is, in effect, a Symphony.
[asin]B0001N9ZF2[/asin]

Indeed, Jeffrey. That's a great disc, but I love all of Alsop's Barber recordings. Top-shelf performances for sure.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 04, 2014, 04:46:49 PM
Indeed, Jeffrey. That's a great disc, but I love all of Alsop's Barber recordings. Top-shelf performances for sure.

Thanks John - me too - but I think that this one is super special.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 05, 2014, 08:40:52 AM
Thanks John - me too - but I think that this one is super special.  :)

That's probably my favorite disc of the series, too, but I do like the one with Symphonies 1 & 2 a lot.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 05, 2014, 05:12:59 PM
That's probably my favorite disc of the series, too, but I do like the one with Symphonies 1 & 2 a lot.

Me too!

Mirror Image

Let's revive this thread for good ol' Sammy. I still have yet to hear his Summer Music for Wind Quintet, but I'm going to change this soon. Barber's oeuvre isn't large by any stretch, but I'm still finding little gems hidden below the more well-known and often performed masterworks. One of them is Canzonetta for Oboe and Strings, which was going to be apart of a concerto for oboe he was composing, but he died before finishing it. One of the most devastating aspects of his composing career came from the failure of his last opera Antony and Cleopatra. The overall rejection he felt from it I think contributed to his slow decline. He composed very little after it.

Mirror Image

I find Schipper's Barber recording on Columbia (Sony) to still be incredibly emotional and quite electrifying. I'd also say it's pretty definitive since Barber himself was at the studio tapings. If I remember correctly, Barber did not get along at all with Schippers. I can't remember why this was exactly. My thinking was Barber was a difficult personality anyway. Have any of you Barberites read anything about Barber's temper or general aloofness?

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2014, 07:55:36 PM
I find Schipper's Barber recording on Columbia (Sony) to still be incredibly emotional and quite electrifying.

Agreed.  A great record.

I'd also say it's pretty definitive since Barber himself was at the studio tapings. If I remember correctly, Barber did not get along at all with Schippers. I can't remember why this was exactly. My thinking was Barber was a difficult personality anyway. Have any of you Barberites read anything about Barber's temper or general aloofness?

Might have had something to do with Schippers's relationship with Gian Carlo Menotti.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on March 13, 2014, 09:43:43 PMMight have had something to do with Schippers's relationship with Gian Carlo Menotti.

Bingo! We have a winner! That's right. Schippers had a relationship with Menotti.

Ken B

Ask and it shall be given!

Karl Henning

I need to revisit the Alsop/Barber recordings on Naxos.  I remember them with great affection . . . there is no proper reason why I've not listened to them in so long a time . . . time I got back to them.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 14, 2014, 11:21:24 AM
I need to revisit the Alsop/Barber recordings on Naxos.  I remember them with great affection . . . there is no proper reason why I've not listened to them in so long a time . . . time I got back to them.

You'll certainly enjoy them, Karl. It seems that Barber's music has fallen out of favor somewhat in terms of recordings being released. I know works like Adagio for Strings and even Knoxville: Summer of 1915 will get some frequency in the concert halls, but I wonder when the last time a work like the Medea Suite or even the lesser known concerti like Capricorn Concerto, Piano Concerto, and the Cello Concerto have gotten any kind of performance?

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 14, 2014, 04:53:43 PM
You'll certainly enjoy them, Karl. It seems that Barber's music has fallen out of favor somewhat in terms of recordings being released. I know works like Adagio for Strings and even Knoxville: Summer of 1915 will get some frequency in the concert halls, but I wonder when the last time a work like the Medea Suite or even the lesser known concerti like Capricorn Concerto, Piano Concerto, and the Cello Concerto have gotten any kind of performance?
I saw Knoxville listed on a program for a local regional orchestra here a couple years ago.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 14, 2014, 04:59:16 PM
I saw Knoxville listed on a program for a local regional orchestra here a couple years ago.

I'd love to see one of Barber's works live. Knoxville would certainly be one to see. It's just gorgeous from start to finish.