The Barber Chair

Started by Szykneij, August 13, 2007, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on March 18, 2014, 06:57:55 AM
Oh, I do need to revisit the symphonies.

Go for this disc, Karl. The best collection, and performances, of Barber orchestral pieces.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 18, 2014, 07:23:59 AM
Go for this disc, Karl. The best collection, and performances, of Barber orchestral pieces.

I wouldn't say it's 'the best' because it's really not, especially if I were to look at Thomas Schippers' spectacular recording. Also, I think Alsop's Symphony No. 1 and Essays are more dynamic than Zinman's. Don't get me wrong the Zinman is a great disc, but if Karl owns Alsop already, I would highly suggest listening to that Symphonies disc. Zinman does best Alsop on The School for Scandal Overture, though, for reasons I've already mentioned on the 'Listening' thread.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 18, 2014, 06:57:55 AM
Oh, I do need to revisit the symphonies.

Go for Alsop, Karl. You won't be sorry.

Karl Henning

I've got the Alsop back home.  Just need to fetch the discs forth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 18, 2014, 07:38:09 AM
I wouldn't say it's 'the best'...

You don't have to say it, I did.  ;D

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Re: Zinman/Baltimore SO on Argo

The Barber Zinman recording receives 2.5 stars from me. I revisited Zinman's Adagio last night and absolutely thought it was one of the most dreadful performances of the work I've heard. It's even worse than Alsop's performance. Another thing about Zinman's performances is they're just completely smoothed over --- there are no edges, but there should've been because Barber's music is not free of these jagged corners. I found very little to criticize in his Essays 1 & 2 performances, but, again, Alsop performed these with greater intensity IMHO. But, I'm still under the impression that Schippers' Barber recording is some of the finest around and I have yet to be convinced that there's a better Adagio out there.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 20, 2014, 07:54:11 PM
Listening to Monkey Greg's favorite Barber disc now:

Listening to Adagio for Strings. Gorgeous as always.

Didn't seen to bother you last night.  ;)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2014, 07:41:35 AM
Re: Zinman/Baltimore SO on Argo

The Barber Zinman recording receives 2.5 stars from me. I revisited Zinman's Adagio last night and absolutely thought it was one of the most dreadful performances of the work I've heard. It's even worse than Alsop's performance. Another thing about Zinman's performances is they're just completely smoothed over --- there are no edges, but there should've been because Barber's music is not free of these jagged corners. I found very little to criticize in his Essays 1 & 2 performances, but, again, Alsop performed these with greater intensity IMHO. But, I'm still under the impression that Schippers' Barber recording is some of the finest around and I have yet to be convinced that there's a better Adagio out there.
I must agree with MI on the adagio here. 'Jagged' isn't the right word, but you need to hear the texture, swellings and diminutions. You have to hear the strings breathe. You want the grain of the wood, not the varnish.  It's a quartet transcribed after all.

TheGSMoeller

So Adagio aside, what's the thought on the rest? Because I think Zinman/Baltimore add the right amount of intensity for the orchestral works. I'm not a huge listener of Barber, but these performances are what turned me on to his music, and is really the only disc I spin.

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 21, 2014, 09:00:25 AM
So Adagio aside, what's the thought on the rest? Because I think Zinman/Baltimore add the right amount of intensity for the orchestral works. I'm not a huge listener of Barber, but these performances are what turned me on to his music, and is really the only disc I spin.
I haven't heard the disc, only the adagio on youtube. So I abstain.
Update: On general principles I should probably vote against whatever John votes for, but he was right about the adagio ...  :o 8) ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 21, 2014, 08:14:28 AM
Didn't seen to bother you last night.  ;)

No, but I didn't feel the music. As I wrote later, Zinman plays the notes, and plays them gorgeously, but that is all. The same goes of the rest of the performances on that Zinman recording. I can hear why you must enjoy it, but I can't get onboard with the lackluster interpretations. The Baltimore SO, of course, can't be faulted. They performed superbly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 21, 2014, 08:46:59 AM
I must agree with MI on the adagio here. 'Jagged' isn't the right word, but you need to hear the texture, swellings and diminutions. You have to hear the strings breathe. You want the grain of the wood, not the varnish.  It's a quartet transcribed after all.

No, jagged is the perfect word and I will continue to use because Adagio isn't all 'pretty music.' There are some rough corners throughout the work and Schippers recognizes this but it also helps to have the composer in the mixing room. ;)

vandermolen

I bought the Argo CD when it first came out for the Symphony No 1 and Essay No 2 and enjoyed both performances. Prob my favourite version of the Symphony is conducted by William Strickland with the Japanese Symphony Orchestra and the Essay No 2 has a number of great recordings by Schippers, Alsop and David Measham (on a wonderful Unicorn/Regis CD).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on March 22, 2014, 02:14:17 AM
I bought the Argo CD when it first came out for the Symphony No 1 and Essay No 2 and enjoyed both performances. Prob my favourite version of the Symphony is conducted by William Strickland with the Japanese Symphony Orchestra and the Essay No 2 has a number of great recordings by Schippers, Alsop and David Measham (on a wonderful Unicorn/Regis CD).
I recall the Measham from long ago. It was outstanding.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on March 22, 2014, 07:11:46 AM
I recall the Measham from long ago. It was outstanding.
Yes, I totally agree. Here it is (available for under £3.00 on UK Amazon and $1.99 on the American site) - one of the great Barber CDs of all time. Sadly David Measham died quite young. He conducted a fine version of Miaskovsky's Symphony No. 21 on Unicorn and a Eugene Goossens's excellent First Symphony (which unlike the Miaskovsky was never released on CD).
[asin]B0000AWDD8[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on March 22, 2014, 10:23:59 AM
Yes, I totally agree. Here it is (available for under £3.00 on UK Amazon and $1.99 on the American site) - one of the great Barber CDs of all time. Sadly David Measham died quite young. He conducted a fine version of Miaskovsky's Symphony No. 21 on Unicorn and a Eugene Goossens's excellent First Symphony (which unlike the Miaskovsky was never released on CD).
[asin]B0000AWDD8[/asin]

Thanks for posting, looks and sounds too good to pass up. Plus Symphony No.1 is quite a piece and Scene from Shelley is awesome, could use another performance for variety. Just purchased.

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 22, 2014, 10:44:23 AM
Thanks for posting, looks and sounds too good to pass up. Plus Symphony No.1 is quite a piece and Scene from Shelley is awesome, could use another performance for variety. Just purchased.

You won't regret it especially as a fine version of Knoxville was added to the CD from the original LP release. Let us know what you think.

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on March 22, 2014, 10:23:59 AM
[asin]B0000AWDD8[/asin]
SNARFED

I could not afford to upgrade to that when my friend had it and I had some lesser B1, so now I could not resist.
My friends was like MI in his tastes, but also big on Boulez. He's a convicted felon now ...  :'(
Avoid the Darmstadt gang John, I'm beggin' ya  ;)

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:

QuoteNow:

Listening to this performance of Barber's Cello Concerto. This surpasses Ma and Poltera for me now. I haven't heard Kirshbaum's performance yet (received it in the mail today as well), so I'll have to some comparisons there.

Really an incredible performance. Every movement is handled with drive and an emotional intensity. The second movement Andante Sostenuto is the best on record I've heard. Everything is paced to great effect. Like a lament or miniature requiem of sorts. Gastinel's cello playing is second to none here. She handles all of the more virtuosic passages like they were as natural as breathing for her. Effortless. I keep reading this is a difficult concerto to perform technically, but, to my ears, I hear no such struggle. Just one beautiful, heartbreaking note played after another. The accompaniment from Justin Brown (a conductor whose name is new to me) also should be noted here. His is the best accompaniment I've heard on any recording so far. The City of Birmingham SO are in top form as well.

For those that love Barber's Cello Concerto, this would be the performance to own. Highly recommended.