Carl Maria von Weber

Started by vers la flamme, November 20, 2019, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on July 22, 2022, 11:48:18 AM
Then, Dave, I'm sorry to say that you miss the best Weber there is --- Der Freischuetz. Really and truly, nothing he ever wrote besides it approaches the same level of inspiration and quality. There is a reason why he's famous for one hit only --- but boy, what a hit it is! In this he's in the same league with Bizet or Gounod.

Hi Andrei - I hope that you're joking or I'll need to throw out my dozen Weber CDs -  :o  8)  BUT, I did go to YouTube HERE and find a complete version of his Der Freischütz (screen capture below) - had English subtitles - got up to a half hour and was feeling nauseous  ;)  ;D - still a tab in my browser, so may continue later.  Now I'll put on some of his clarinet music -   :)  Dave

P.S. not sure if this was a good production - however, a lot of good comments for those who may want to give the production a try?

SonicMan46

Weber's Overtures - I put together a Spotify playlist (fuzzy first pic below) of four recordings that interested me (just included his 3 'famous' operas for each conductor), and also listened to Kuhn this afternoon w/ headphones (despite a 1985 recording date the sound was pristine) - I must say that all were quite enjoyable - believe that I liked Kantorow and Jarvi the best, but a decision will likely be based on availability and price - thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.  Dave :)

lordlance

First time listening to Overture Preciosa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zphszHafA

Enjoyable music if nothing else.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.