Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on December 27, 2016, 09:20:03 PM
I feel sad.

I loved Leia / Carrie.

:'(

Rest In Peace, Princess.

+1

Nice tributes to her from C-3PO and Ewok actors on BBC Radio News this morning.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: aleazk on December 27, 2016, 04:41:44 PM
On the other hand, TFA, and StarWars in general, is not my favorite type of scifi, since it's more focused in the adventures and the story rather than in science and philosophy (I'm not saying that these things are completely abscent, though).

Star Wars is actually soap opera in space (Lucas himself has said that).

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on December 28, 2016, 02:11:14 AM
Star Wars is actually soap opera in space (Lucas himself has said that).
Most baroque opera is also soap opera amongst the gods.

71 dB

Quote from: The new erato on December 28, 2016, 02:22:20 AM
Most baroque opera is also soap opera amongst the gods.

Yes, exactly. Lucas says the stories he tells has been told for thousands of years by mankind and will be told again and again by every new generation using the new technological means. Opera is a predecessor of cinema.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 28, 2016, 04:40:29 AM
Yes, exactly. Lucas says the stories he tells has been told for thousands of years by mankind and will be told again and again by every new generation using the new technological means. Opera is a predecessor of cinema.

None of which vitiates Lucas's lousy writing.  The stories have been told for thousands of years, and now, most famously, by the worst writer of dialogue and story sequence on this planet or any other  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

I was wondering whether to post that these timeless stories can be told more or less well, but now you did it. Lucas doesn't aspire to the Pantheon, to put it mildly.

Mirror Image

I was quite saddened by the news of Carrie Fisher passing away. She was such an attractive woman when she was younger. I had mental fantasies of her in that bikini from Return of the Jedi. ;D

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 28, 2016, 05:23:53 AM
None of which vitiates Lucas's lousy writing.  The stories have been told for thousands of years, and now, most famously, by the worst writer of dialogue and story sequence on this planet or any other  8)

Ahhh, but the music...

>:D >:D >:D :laugh: :laugh:

Cato

The Simpsons had a devastating satire on The Phantom Menace and the great disappointment felt by all:

https://www.youtube.com/v/3lPG1u6EbiY
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 28, 2016, 06:56:23 AM
I was quite saddened by the news of Carrie Fisher passing away. She was such an attractive woman when she was younger. I had mental fantasies of her in that bikini from Return of the Jedi. ;D

Nice skin, smooth like an hardboiled egg with the shells removed ;D
I think part of the reason we like her is that like Jennifer Anistor she has (or had) that girl next door attainable look...yet for all practical purposes she was so far out of our league that we couldn't even see the playing field :P

Rinaldo

I didn't want to comment on Carrie in this thread but.. well, what can you say. This year has been merciless, cutting down my childhood (and adulthood) heroes from Bowie to Prince to Cohen to Fisher. She wasn't just a princess, she was a queen. THE queen.

71 dB

Star Wars is one the largest popular culture phenomenon of the last 50 years. Pretty well done with lousy writing...

SimonNZ

A friend of mine played this, which I'd forgotten, in tribute yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/v/VXcb7VPw59s

vandermolen

This arrived today.
Sadly appropriate as one track is 'Princess Leia's Theme':
[asin]B005JS7V8W[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: 71 dB on December 28, 2016, 10:22:39 AM
Star Wars is one the largest popular culture phenomenon of the last 50 years. Pretty well done with lousy writing...

The images (some of them lifted from classic movies like The Searchers, the appeal of the cast, and certainly the special effects (the opening scene with the huge battleship entering at the top of the screen!) counter-balanced the hokey writing. George Lucas has (or had) a great deal of talent in such things.  The words in the lines leave much to be desired!*

Brian de Palma comes to mind as another director whose self-written scripts are never as good as those by others.  e.g. cf. Carrie, The Untouchables, or The Fury with his own screenplays for bombs like Redacted, Passion, or Raising Cain (although you have to love John Lithgow doing his best in the latter). 8)

*Richard Basehart, a fine dramatic actor, was doing hokey science-fiction on television in his later years to pay the rent (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).  He also performed in Shakespeare's plays during the off months, and was once asked if Shakespeare was much more difficult than the T.V. role.  He replied rather incredulously:

"No, Shakespeare is easy, because the lines are there!"

PerfectWagnerite

None of which vitiates Lucas's lousy writing. 
Do you mean none of which have been vitiated by Lucas' lousy writing?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 28, 2016, 11:17:32 AM
A friend of mine played this, which I'd forgotten, in tribute yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/v/VXcb7VPw59s

Biggest mistake.............we NEVER talk about the 'Holiday Special,' Simon! :laugh:

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Cato on December 28, 2016, 11:44:30 AM

Brian de Palma comes to mind as another director whose self-written scripts are never as good as those by others.  e.g. cf. Carrie, The Untouchables, or The Fury with his own screenplays for bombs like Redacted, Passion, or Raising Cain (although you have to love John Lithgow doing his best in the latter). 8)

FEMME FATALE is a great film though IMO. De Palma wrote the script for it which basically ONLY works to facilitate VISUAL SPLENDOR.

(R rated scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7V0TXyoXNM

Cato

Quote from: -abe- on December 28, 2016, 05:49:55 PM
FEMME FATALE is a great film though IMO. De Palma wrote the script for it which basically ONLY works to facilitate VISUAL SPLENDOR.

(R rated scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7V0TXyoXNM

De Palma has admitted that he is not too interested in the words accompanying the action.  0:)