Top 5 Favourite Ligeti Works

Started by ComposerOfAvantGarde, December 29, 2016, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Since Greg (Monkey Greg) has jumped on the GMG saddle again and seems to be enthused by Ligeti's music, it's time I update my list:

(In no particular order)

Études
Lontano
Lux Aeterna
Six Bagatelles
Clocks and Clouds

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2020, 07:19:53 PM
Since Greg (Monkey Greg) has jumped on the GMG saddle again and seems to be enthused by Ligeti's music, it's time I update my list:

(In no particular order)

Études
Lontano
Lux Aeterna
Six Bagatelles
Clocks and Clouds

Ah cool. Didn't know about this thread. I'll wait until my SONY Masterworks set arrives and give those a spin before I make any lists, there a still a good number of works I haven't heard.
Great lists here!

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 05, 2020, 08:54:31 PM
Ah cool. Didn't know about this thread. I'll wait until my SONY Masterworks set arrives and give those a spin before I make any lists, there a still a good number of works I haven't heard.
Great lists here!

Looking forward to your list, Greg. 8)

Uhor

Atmospheres
Double Concerto
Chamber Concerto
Lontano
String Quartet No. 2

FelixSkodi

1. Volumina
2. San Francisco Polyphony
3. Le Grand Macabre
4. Etudes
5. Requiem

Symphonic Addict

I thought I already had contributed on this thread. Time to remedy that:

Violin Concerto
Piano Concerto
Lontano
San Francisco Polyphony
Horn Trio

I had to leave out Atmosphères, Requiem, Clocks and Clouds and the String Quartets.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Don't know that many, but these are all amazing:

Atmosphères
Chamber Concerto
Violin Concerto
String Quartet No.2
Requiem

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 07, 2021, 11:28:58 AM

Violin Concerto
Piano Concerto
Lontano
San Francisco Polyphony
Horn Trio

I had to leave out Atmosphères, Requiem, Clocks and Clouds and the String Quartets.

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 07, 2021, 02:08:57 PM
Don't know that many, but these are all amazing:

Atmosphères
Chamber Concerto
Violin Concerto
String Quartet No.2
Requiem

Great lists! I do think Atmosphères is one of the greatest works by anyone, that deserves to stand alongside other groundbreaking scores like say, Beethoven's Eroica, or Stravinsky's Rite.

My choices:

Atmosphères
Lux Aeterna

Violin Concerto
Piano Etudes, Book I
String Quartet No. 2

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on July 07, 2021, 02:19:54 PM
Great lists! I do think Atmosphères is one of the greatest works by anyone, that deserves to stand alongside other groundbreaking scores like say, Beethoven's Eroica, or Stravinsky's Rite.

My choices:

Atmosphères
Lux Aeterna

Violin Concerto
Piano Etudes, Book I
String Quartet No. 2

--Bruce

I'll have to relisten to Atmosphères on the strength of your advocacy.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 07, 2021, 11:28:58 AM

Violin Concerto
Piano Concerto
Lontano
San Francisco Polyphony
Horn Trio

No love for any of the piano works, Cesar?  :-\

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2021, 07:34:47 PM
No love for any of the piano works, Cesar?  :-\

I've only heard almost all of his orchestral and chamber works, but the stuff for piano is still unknown to me. What works do you recommend?

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 07, 2021, 08:06:53 PM
I've only heard almost all of his orchestral and chamber works, but the stuff for piano is still unknown to me. What works do you recommend?

The Etudes! It is masterful and full of twists and surprises. I think you'll enjoy this work.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2021, 08:07:51 PM
The Etudes! It is masterful and full of twists and surprises. I think you'll enjoy this work.

Thank you, John. I'll make sure to give them a listen when I can.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 07, 2021, 08:15:16 PM
Thank you, John. I'll make sure to give them a listen when I can.

8) I know you're a streaming guy, but if you can find a way to hear the Danny Driver performance on Hyperion, then that would be my recommendation.

steve ridgway

I haven't listened to the whole of my collection that many times but as I enjoy the 1960s works as much as anything:

Atmosphères
Lontano
Requiem
Lux Aeterna
Ramifications

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2021, 08:18:25 PM
8) I know you're a streaming guy, but if you can find a way to hear the Danny Driver performance on Hyperion, then that would be my recommendation.

Thanks again. I'll keep it in mind. Yes, I sometimes use streaming services to listen to works that are hard to find elsewhere.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Here's one of my favorites of the Études, No. 13, "The Devil's Staircase," beautifully filmed with Pierre-Laurent Aimard. It might be one of the most difficult, but none of them appears to be exactly easy.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLam2O3gtY

--Bruce

steve ridgway

Quote from: Brewski on July 08, 2021, 05:35:53 PM
Here's one of my favorites of the Études, No. 13, "The Devil's Staircase," beautifully filmed with Pierre-Laurent Aimard. It might be one of the most difficult, but none of them appears to be exactly easy.  8)

--Bruce

That looks very hard indeed, and a little creepy like those hands are crawling about with minds of their own. ???

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on July 08, 2021, 05:35:53 PM

--Bruce

What impressive piece and playing! Thanks for sharing it. These études seem like my cup of tea.

Noam Chomsky