Name that composer death

Started by KevinP, December 30, 2016, 03:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 18, 2017, 11:02:04 AM
accidental mushroom poisoning?

Johann Schobert

And not a composer, but one of my favorites (to defend sleeping in because rising too early in the morning can be lethal): having to rise too early (and in a climate he was not used to). There is a musical connection as the person responsible for these harsh conditions later lived in a warmer country and received the dedication of an historically somewhat important set of musical pieces.

Descartes. Corelli's Violin Sonatas were dedicated to Christine of Sweden.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

KevinP

I was just asking about a half-remembered death. Never imagined this thread would take on a life of its own like this. :-)

vandermolen

Quote from: KevinP on January 18, 2017, 03:48:05 PM
I was just asking about a half-remembered death. Never imagined this thread would take on a life of its own like this. :-)
An obvious case of members of the GMG Forum coming to terms with their shadow side.  :blank:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Fell into the River Kenmare in Ireland?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Florestan

Who died while composing at his harpsichord?

And --- not a composer and technically speaking not a death: this guy simply vanished without a trace from contemporary records and nobody knows where, when and how he died.

And the other French composer stabbed to death is Jean Gabriel Guillemain.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on January 19, 2017, 10:51:13 AM
And --- not a composer and technically speaking not a death: this guy simply vanished without a trace from contemporary records and nobody knows where, when and how he died.
This applies to surprisingly many people (not only in times and places from which historical information is sparse anyway), my first guess it Ambrose Bierce who disappeared in Mexico.

Another mystery although it concerns the whole biography is this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Traven#The_mystery_of_B._Traven.27s_biography
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2017, 11:06:46 AM
Johann Schobert

Descartes. Corelli's Violin Sonatas were dedicated to Christine of Sweden.

Yes to both, only it was actually the trio sonatas op.1 (1681) that set the standard for the high/late baroque trio sonata.

The guy who drowned during a pleasure boat tour was Thomas Linley jr., the "English Mozart"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Linley_the_younger
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2017, 11:36:55 AM
This applies to surprisingly many people, my first guess it Ambrose Bierce who disappeared in Mexico.

I never knew that, thanks for the info.

No, it was not him that I had in mind. Hint: a poet.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on January 19, 2017, 11:44:07 AM
I never knew that, thanks for the info.

No, it was not him that I had in mind. Hint: a poet.
Homer.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on January 19, 2017, 11:54:56 AM
Homer.

Fits in the bill, but no.

Supplementary hint: a Frenchman (yet another one  :laugh: ).

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on January 19, 2017, 12:00:05 PM

For some odd reason I now want to re-read The Song of Roland.

DaveF

Quote from: Jo498 on January 18, 2017, 11:02:04 AM
drowning in a freak boating accident?

Might also be Robert Parsons, who drowned in the River Trent at Newark - whether boating or not is not recorded.  My theory is that he was pushed by Byrd - Newark is not far from Lincoln, where Byrd was based, and Parsons' death created a vacancy at the Chapel Royal that was filled by... Byrd.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on January 19, 2017, 12:02:30 PM
For some odd reason I now want to re-read The Song of Roland.

Doesn´t help. The guy lived much later.

vandermolen

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on January 19, 2017, 12:00:05 PM

Sacre blue!

I think I know the individual you mean, but can't remember his name.
The one I'm thinking of lived during the 16th or 17th century, and came close to being hanged at one point because of his association with criminals.

Jo498

Francois Villon who was a criminal (Brecht (or probably his mistress) translated some of his ballads for use in the Dreigroschenoper and they fit very well) and in fact vanished from the records in 1463. Although in the 15th century I'd call this less unusual than in the 20th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Villon
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 19, 2017, 06:09:19 PM
Sacre blue!

I think I know the individual you mean, but can't remember his name.
The one I'm thinking of lived during the 16th or 17th century, and came close to being hanged at one point because of his association with criminals.

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2017, 11:24:45 PM
Francois Villon who was a criminal (Brecht (or probably his mistress) translated some of his ballads for use in the Dreigroschenoper and they fit very well) and in fact vanished from the records in 1463. Although in the 15th century I'd call this less unusual than in the 20th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Villon

Yes, Villon. Well done!

vandermolen

Whilst on holiday in Ireland having eaten a box of Turkish Delight which he had intended to take back to England.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2017, 12:17:38 AM
Whilst on holiday in Ireland having eaten a box of Turkish Delight which he had intended to take back to England.

This is a difficult one. Could you give another hint?