The Music Room > Composing and Performing

A Work by CATO, Who Is NOT A Composer! (?)

(1/13) > >>

Cato:
I think enough time has passed for anyone interested to listen to the work, so as of Feb, 8, 2017 I am closing it down and deleting the score and access to the MIDI realization.

Send me a message, if you intended to peruse the score and listen to the MIDI, but did not yet have a chance to do so.

Thank you to those who took the time to examine the score and comment.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
The generous praise is making me blush.  I am glad to have helped, the piece is highly engaging, so that work on the project (the typographical and proofing work on my part, that is) never became tedious, because I found the music ever rewarding, its crystalline austerity setting off the Psalm text with a rich poignancy.  The score has a ritualistic monumentality which I find powerfully impressive;  and I believe it no exaggeration to call it a major new contribution to the unaccompanied choral literature.

Cato:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 31, 2016, 06:06:36 AM ---I am glad to have helped, the piece is highly engaging, so that work on the project (the typographical and proofing work on my part, that is) never became tedious, because I found the music ever rewarding, its crystalline austerity setting off the Psalm text with a rich poignancy.  The score has a ritualistic monumentality which I find powerfully impressive;  and I believe it no exaggeration to call it a major new contribution to the unaccompanied choral literature.

--- End quote ---

Many thanks for the compliment!

I should mention that the work is shorter than the original sketch indicated, with two sections cut, one an 81-bar extravaganza of nonuple polyphony toward the end, before the bell-like conclusion.  Given that the work already lasts 25 minutes or so, cutting those parts was not imprudent!  :D

ComposerOfAvantGarde:
Wow!!! I'm very excited about this! I look forward to hearing it live! It seems a very ambitious work to compose, and very ambitious for a choir to sing as well considering its length and complexity :o :)

Cato:

--- Quote from: jessop on January 01, 2017, 01:43:07 PM ---Wow!!! I'm very excited about this! I look forward to hearing it live! It seems a very ambitious work to compose, and very ambitious for a choir to sing as well considering its length and complexity :o :)

--- End quote ---

Karl Henning is gently pushing the work, as I mentioned above.   8)

Thank you for the nice comments: as far as being "very ambitious," all I can say is that the original work would have been nearly an hour long, i.e. I simply had a certain conception for the structure in my head 45 years ago, and certain melodies of course, and did not really think about the length, and did not consider the work to be ambitious at all!   8)  When bringing it to fruition a year ago, I began to have second-thoughts about the length, and so cut it short by c. 100 bars.

And of course my mental choir has lungs like hot-air balloons, and can sing like Pavarotti and Callas !  ;)  However, in "orchestrating" the piece, I did stay conscious that singers need to breathe now and then!  In my earlier days, I may not have been so cognizant of that necessity!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version