Somei Satoh (1947 -)

Started by Mirror Image, November 04, 2013, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Somei Satoh was born in Japan in 1947 and currently lives in Tokyo. Largely self-taught as a composer he came to musical creation through the spiritual exercises of both Shintoism and Zen Buddhism. In early 1970s, after his attending the Nihon University of Art, Satoh joined the Tone Field performance group, an experimental inter-arts ensemble which performed his earliest composition. These early compositions include those for solo piano or for piano with electronics in which he explored gradations of sound by employing tremolos of single tones or clusters using the instrument's various registers of dynamics. In some ways, Satoh's techniques and career path paralleled those of the American minimalists. His music, like theirs, has developed in complexity and sophistication over the years. Over the course of the 1970s, his instrumental palette diversified and his music took on a greater melodiousness. By the 1980s, his music became more sensual after the model of the Romantic tradition. A visiting artist grant from the Asian Cultural Council enabled him to spend a year in the United States in 1983. Eventually, he received commissions from the Kronos Quartet, Bang on a Can, and the New York Philharmonic, among others. Currently, Satoh tends to focus his work on large orchestral forces. His compositions have been recorded for New Albion, Lovely Music, Mode, and Alm.

[Article taken from Mode Records]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else familiar with this composer? I just bought a Mode recording of some of his orchestral works. I'm anxious to hear his music through my stereo system. Figured I would start a thread on him since there doesn't appear to be one.

springrite

I have one of his works on a CD with some other composer's work. I do have a CD of his work exclusively and I just checked... I have had it for 15 years but I don't believe I have listened to it yet! Ugh!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 05, 2013, 05:55:01 AM
I have one of his works on a CD with some other composer's work. I do have a CD of his work exclusively and I just checked... I have had it for 15 years but I don't believe I have listened to it yet! Ugh!

You'll definitely have to remedy this, Paul!

kyjo

I've only heard Satoh's name in passing, so thanks for starting this thread, John! Is his music purely minimalist or are there other influences thrown in as well? I see you compared his music to Gorecki's 3rd (a work I'm not overly fond of) in another thread.

I see I've exceeded 2000 posts. This is not good, this is not good ;D.......

Rinaldo

Searched GMG after listening to Satoh's VC, surprised to see only a handful of mentions.

https://www.youtube.com/v/EOecmVS8Bg0

Slow, somber pieces usually make my mind drift, but this concerto has kept my attention throughout.

snyprrr

I think I had the NewAlbion 'Soma'... one of them, string orchestra?... yea, sounds a little like the "yearning Arvo", or, the somewhat "obvious elegy" style... a little 'Unanswered Question' dreamy strings with heartbreak...

When I went back to re-listen, I wasn't all that taken...

Perhaps with Feldman, there is a little more "distance" in the music, to make it palatable over a long period. With Satoh, you kind of get that Gorecki thing the whole time... don't know if I want to be sad thaaat long...

Hard to find a standout piece with Satoh?...

(btw- I do always like looong boring space music for the background, but Satoh had just enough going on to break the mood?)