Faure's Favourite Pupil: Jean Roger-Ducasse

Started by snyprrr, January 01, 2017, 05:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I have the Historic Recording of his 2nd String Quartet, a big work, quite as subtle as war-torn Faure might be. I don't have that handy (Loewenguth SQ; Mandala), but I do recall endless streams of thought. Faurean.

I waaas curious if anyone had perused the Martin Jones/Nimbus Bos of 'Complete Piano Music'. I imagine that if you've got a yearning for "more" Faure, this would be the place to go. No piece is younger than the early '20s. What do you say?

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on January 01, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
I have the Historic Recording of his 2nd String Quartet, a big work, quite as subtle as war-torn Faure might be. I don't have that handy (Loewenguth SQ; Mandala), but I do recall endless streams of thought. Faurean.

I waaas curious if anyone had perused the Martin Jones/Nimbus Bos of 'Complete Piano Music'. I imagine that if you've got a yearning for "more" Faure, this would be the place to go. No piece is younger than the early '20s. What do you say?
I see Jens has it amongst his "Best of 2016" recommendations.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on January 01, 2017, 08:02:06 PM

That's what prompted me... those Nimbus/Jones sets are very oddly "you muuust come buy me, even if you've never heard meeee..."... Martin Jones also has a Hans Gal set...

But I do recommend that SQ by Leowenguth as a Historic... JR-D does carry the Faure well...

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on January 01, 2017, 08:02:06 PM

lol, does your new avatar indicate that you've been putting on weight? I always picture you as skinny Finn :o :laugh:

71 dB

I'm a fan of Fauré but I have not heard about Jean Roger-Ducasse before. I'm now listening to his orchestral works on Spotify (Segerstam). I can understand why Roger-Ducasse isn't very well known. The music isn't as first rate as his teacher's. It struggles to be second rate. Or maybe I am struggling to understand this genius?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on January 05, 2017, 04:14:53 PM
lol, does your new avatar indicate that you've been putting on weight? I always picture you as skinny Finn :o :laugh:
I'm neither a Finn nor skinny.....! The avatar was a result of a temporary craze in these parts for cartoon avatars, it's a very popular Norwegian cartoon figure. And I drink mostly wine, not beer!

pjme

Quote from: 71 dB on January 06, 2017, 12:05:57 AM
I'm a fan of Fauré but I have not heard about Jean Roger-Ducasse before. I'm now listening to his orchestral works on Spotify (Segerstam). I can understand why Roger-Ducasse isn't very well known. The music isn't as first rate as his teacher's. It struggles to be second rate. Or maybe I am struggling to understand this genius?

Too little of Roger-Ducasse's music is available/recorded/performed to make a coherent assessment, I think.  From what I've heard (mainly the Segerstam recordings) he seems to lack indeed the brillant personality of Fauré, Debussy, Ravel .
Moreover, in his old age he grew bitter , refused to keep contact with the press and the musical world in Paris.
On top of that he clearly showed admiration for Charles Maurras (Wiki:Charles-Marie-Photius Maurras (French: [ʃaʁl moʁas]; 20 April 1868 – 16 November 1952) was a French author, poet, and critic. He was an organizer and principal philosopher of Action Française, a political movement that was monarchist, anti-parliamentarist, and counter-revolutionary. Maurras' ideas greatly influenced National Catholicism and "nationalisme intégral". A major tenet of integral nationalism was stated by Maurras as "a true nationalist places his country above everything". A political theorist and a major intellectual influence in early 20th-century Europe, his views anticipated some of the ideas of fascism.)
No wonder Roger-Ducasse was forgotten after WW2....( Cfr. Florent Schmitt, Joseph Canteloube...).

Yet there is undeniably austere charm and darkish poetry in this music. I definitely would love to hear Cantegril or Orphée, Le chant des sirènes... Le Jardin de Marguerite.

P.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on January 06, 2017, 12:25:23 AM
I'm neither a Finn nor skinny.....! The avatar was a result of a temporary craze in these parts for cartoon avatars, it's a very popular Norwegian cartoon figure. And I drink mostly wine, not beer!

I meant to say Norwegian, lol ???

Quote from: pjme on January 06, 2017, 02:52:11 AM
Too little of Roger-Ducasse's music is available/recorded/performed to make a coherent assessment, I think.  From what I've heard (mainly the Segerstam recordings) he seems to lack indeed the brillant personality of Fauré, Debussy, Ravel .
Moreover, in his old age he grew bitter , refused to keep contact with the press and the musical world in Paris.
On top of that he clearly showed admiration for Charles Maurras (Wiki:Charles-Marie-Photius Maurras (French: [ʃaʁl moʁas]; 20 April 1868 – 16 November 1952) was a French author, poet, and critic. He was an organizer and principal philosopher of Action Française, a political movement that was monarchist, anti-parliamentarist, and counter-revolutionary. Maurras' ideas greatly influenced National Catholicism and "nationalisme intégral". A major tenet of integral nationalism was stated by Maurras as "a true nationalist places his country above everything". A political theorist and a major intellectual influence in early 20th-century Europe, his views anticipated some of the ideas of fascism.)
No wonder Roger-Ducasse was forgotten after WW2....( Cfr. Florent Schmitt, Joseph Canteloube...).

Yet there is undeniably austere charm and darkish poetry in this music. I definitely would love to hear Cantegril or Orphée, Le chant des sirènes... Le Jardin de Marguerite.

P.

very interesting

SurprisedByBeauty

The new erato

I got a Wyastone 40% voucher and ordered it from their website even though it probably is a CDR.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on January 06, 2017, 09:32:41 PM
I got a Wyastone 40% voucher and ordered it from their website even though it probably is a CDR.

Listened to some of the piano pieces on YT last night. Mmmm... eh... yea, a bit like Faure, but I don't know, maybe just not my cup of tea. 3CDs might be a bit much for me...

Thinking about scuttling the good ship JR-D...