The Helps Desk

Started by snyprrr, December 26, 2016, 06:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Robert Helps (1928- ???)

Helps is best known as a virtuoso Pianist Composer. You may have some American Piano Sonatas played by him, or you might one of a couple of CRI discs of his own music.

I mostly would like to draw your attention to his Three Hommages, one each for Faure, Ravel, and Rachmaninov. I have become completely enamored - the Faure, especially, is just so delicate, and weaving... please, I just want you to hear it and get back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZKQCIfKm0

The Ravel, also, is very impressive. I also have one other piece by him, Shall We Dance, for piano,... where is it?...

So, what do you think?

Mandryka

The Fauré is a tad too sweet for me, I enjoyed the Ravel more. Having said that there's a really unusual performance of the Fauré by Jenny Lin which made my ears prick up.

It made me think of a Szymanowski etude which is a homage to Chopin in much the same sort of sense as Desks' type of homage - i.e a piece written in imitation. It's Szymanowski's B flat minor etude opus 4.

Interesting to compare Desks' idea of a homage to Ravel with Xenakis's. (Sorry. I really shouldn't compare I know.)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

Quote from: Mandryka on December 26, 2016, 07:52:12 AM
The Fauré is a tad too sweet for me, I enjoyed the Ravel more. Having said that there's a really unusual performance of the Fauré by Jenny Lin which made my ears prick up.

It made me think of a Szymanowski etude which is a homage to Chopin in much the same sort of sense as Desks' type of homage - i.e a piece written in imitation. It's Szymanowski's B flat minor etude opus 4.

Interesting to compare Desks' idea of a homage to Ravel with Xenakis's. (Sorry. I really shouldn't compare I know.)

"Helps", not "Desks", LOL... good one, tho ;) :laugh:

But yea, there's Jenny Lin's name again, making the world bright and sparkled.

I think with Ravel, it's in the sense of the "macabre"... it would be interesting to hear... wait, aren't there a few albums of Ravel hommages already out there?... with the title "Nuits", or,... mm... maybe not...

Yea, beyond what I've heard, I don't feel the need to pursue Helps, but, I have enjoyed the five pieces I've heard. (Alan Feinberg 'The American Romantic' (Argo)) ... the 'Nocturne' was alright...

I do have him playing a very eye-opening Sessions Sonata No.3...

snyprrr

Quote from: Mandryka on December 26, 2016, 07:52:12 AM
The Fauré is a tad too sweet for me, I enjoyed the Ravel more.

How do you feel about Berio's 'Wasserklavier'? It's quite the lollipop, imo. Maybe a bit cooler...

snyprrr

Helps does have somewhat interesting good looks, and has maintained the "dude" haircut his whole life, lol!!