Charles Lloyd

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, January 13, 2017, 06:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Several months ago, I heard a couple tracks from Lloyd's Big Sur Tapestry on L.A. station KPFK (12AM -3AM jazz show called Rise, which I highly recommend). I thought it was really interesting and very beautiful. Surface noise gave it away as an LP, but really only added to its charm and ambiance. Anyway, Lloyd is playing flute accompanied by harp. The pieces are very much influenced by Chinese music.

I looked for the recording, but found it was available only on vinyl. I ordered the LP from an Amazon Marketplace seller for aboot 8 bucks. It arrived a few months ago, but my table needed a new cartridge and a tune up. Long story short, I didn't get around to listening (and ripping to FLAC) until after I had the table serviced. I did this on New Year's Day (1 Jan 2017)

What a way to start the new year! I was absolutely blown away by this music. The first side--four pieces comprising Big Sur Tapestry sounded like freedom. Freedom from all cares, worries, strife. It was unbelievable. The second side, titled Homage to the Universe sounded like peace manifest in music. This side features a single piece in one movement (29 mins) in which Lloyd is playing an extended, highly virtousic, improvised solo, with plenty of reverb and other post-production effects.

Listening to this music, I think I have found peace, or at least a very profound manifestation in music. I have very rarely been affected by music to this degree.

I have read articles on Lloyd, and the consensus is that he was/is indeed something special--a visionary with some very important things to say. I have heard some here talking about The Water is Wide, and I am also curious about his other recordings (e.g. Forest Flower).

I'll open up the floor to any comments or recommendations about this performer/composer.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mirror Image

Charles Lloyd's recordings on ECM are my favorite Lloyd.

Barbebleu

I would recommend initially the following three albums. Of Course, Of Course. Dream Weaver. Forest Flower.  Actually anything by Charles Loyd will be good.