Author Topic: How to embed Flash Video (like Youtube videos)  (Read 67863 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: How to embed Flash Video (like Youtube videos)
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2021, 06:46:22 PM »
For that reason I kept with Chrome for far too long.  It stopped working with Outlook 365 and it was a huge resource hog on my work PC.  I switched to Firefox and imported everything over.  I installed Firefox on all of my PCs, my Phone and my Ipad and everything is hunky dory.

I used to use FF, did for years. Then (circa vers. 40) it got freaking humongous, and did its level best to own my computer. If they fixed that, I would go back to them. I always liked their extensions far better. There are Android versions, yes?

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2021, 04:26:48 AM »
I removed Flash Player from my Macs to be safe(r) since it was no longer going to be supported and I thought that 99% of sites were now using HTML5.  Is it safe then to post Flash videos here?  And what about viewing videos on youtube?  I dug around a bit more and found this article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2876307/so-long-flash-youtube-now-defaults-to-html5-on-the-web.html

Is there a way that we can embed videos here but using HTML5 instead of via Flash?

I thought it wasn't going to work any longer (after 1/1). So that's good. Chrome is quite pissed at me for continually telling to to f**k off when it wants to shut down Flash altogether.

I would dump Chrome, except my phone and tablet sync with my computer on so many things, it's very handy for saving links remotely and having them show up on my desktop when I log on. :-\

8)
Gurn,

I did read that one could still download Adobe's Flash Player (if one needed it), but since they're no longer supporting it, it's getting increasingly unsafe to use--from what I understand anyway.

PD

p.s. Perhaps someone could check with our Chief?

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
I removed Flash Player from my Macs to be safe(r) since it was no longer going to be supported and I thought that 99% of sites were now using HTML5.  Is it safe then to post Flash videos here?  And what about viewing videos on youtube?  I dug around a bit more and found this article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2876307/so-long-flash-youtube-now-defaults-to-html5-on-the-web.html

Is there a way that we can embed videos here but using HTML5 instead of via Flash?
Gurn,

I did read that one could still download Adobe's Flash Player (if one needed it), but since they're no longer supporting it, it's getting increasingly unsafe to use--from what I understand anyway.

PD

p.s. Perhaps someone could check with our Chief?

Well, what I DON'T understand is why this issue still exists. Youtube videos aren't Flash anyway, I download them routinely, and they are always MP4. Of course, my downloading software converts them to that on the fly, but the posting software here converts them TO Flash on the fly too, so why not pick a format that's more current? IOW, it's a Simple Machines issue, at least until someone convinces me otherwise.  :)

8)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2021, 04:33:24 AM »
Well, what I DON'T understand is why this issue still exists. Youtube videos aren't Flash anyway, I download them routinely, and they are always MP4. Of course, my downloading software converts them to that on the fly, but the posting software here converts them TO Flash on the fly too, so why not pick a format that's more current? IOW, it's a Simple Machines issue, at least until someone convinces me otherwise.  :)

8)
I agree!  :)

Online Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2021, 06:35:56 AM »
Is the flash tag mentioned above still the correct way to link youtube? People should realize this is browser dependent. When people link youtube videos I do not see any video, just an empty area on the screen followed by some html code. People might consider some text to indicate what is in the youtube for people who don't see the videos.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »
I always leave them like this:

[ flash=480,240]https://www.youtube.com/v/gwOy1dpl9bc[/flash ]
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline hvbias

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »
I have a question if this is just a MacOS thing, do embedded Youtube videos not appear and just look like a string of code like below?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t5PDGV6gOQI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t5PDGV6gOQI[/url]

I am guessing this is because Apple dropped Flash several years ago? They work fine in all my Windows PCs but I do have Flash installed on them.

Online Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2021, 08:45:33 AM »
I have a question if this is just a MacOS thing, do embedded Youtube videos not appear and just look like a string of code like below?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t5PDGV6gOQI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t5PDGV6gOQI[/url]

I am guessing this is because Apple dropped Flash several years ago? They work fine in all my Windows PCs but I do have Flash installed on them.

That's what I see using Safari. I have Firefox on my Mac as well and I think they show correctly in Firefox. However the youtube links are not motivation enough for me to use Firefox, since I generally prefer Safari.

On another discussion board that I use YouTube videos show okay even in Safari, and YouTube doesn't use flash as it's default format anymore. So I'm not sure if it is a flash issue or a just a buggy code on this site that works different on different browsers.

Offline hvbias

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »
That's what I see using Safari. I have Firefox on my Mac as well and I think they show correctly in Firefox. However the youtube links are not motivation enough for me to use Firefox, since I generally prefer Safari.

On another discussion board that I use YouTube videos show okay even in Safari, and YouTube doesn't use flash as it's default format anymore. So I'm not sure if it is a flash issue or a just a buggy code on this site that works different on different browsers.

Ah thank you. Strange that it works on Firefox on Mac, as I assumed you'd have to have the plugin installed for it to work. I will probably uninstall Flash from all my Windows computers once I decide to upgrade to Windows 11. I agree with you on Safari and when I was looking at battery life benchmarks for various browsers it looked like Apple really optimized Safari well for the M1 processors.

Online Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
I just checked, the youtube link does work in firefox on MacOS and I definitely don't have flash enabled in firefox. (It is not supported by Firefox and requires you to manually add a plug-in.)

So I think the issue is just that the Youtube embedding feature has bugs which cause it to work in some browsers and not others.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2021, 09:48:48 AM »
I just checked, the youtube link does work in firefox on MacOS and I definitely don't have flash enabled in firefox. (It is not supported by Firefox and requires you to manually add a plug-in.)

So I think the issue is just that the Youtube embedding feature has bugs which cause it to work in some browsers and not others.

I don't pretend to know the answers for this, but I would not be the least surprised to find it's a Chrome\Google thing. For the last year I have been getting threatening warnings in Chrome that they wouldn't be supporting Flash anymore, and now I have stopped getting the warnings, but I have also stopped getting YT here, just blank spots.  So I would say that Simple Machines has to make some changes in that feature if it's ever going to be universal again.  HTML 5 solved the problem for my blog software...

🤠😎